Sponsored

Phone key unlocks the vehicle but cannot ready/activate it

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Immediately following the most recent software patch that was pushed to my R1T yesterday, my phone key continues to automatically lock/unlock the vehicle based on proximity, but the vehicle no longer readies itself when I sit down. Fortunately I keep the card key in my wallet as a backup which continues to work.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anything that can be done?

I've tried doing what I can on my phone (rebooting, turning bluetooth on/off, opening the Rivian app, etc.) but I can't see my phone being the problem since it's clearly working to unlock the vehicle.
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I’ve had this issue intermittently. Others have recommended fully disabling WiFi/Bluetooth and force-closing the app. I haven’t been able to try it yet.

OP
OP
PastyPilgrim

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian had me delete my phone key and repair (which was a very buggy process). It worked once, so Rivian assumed the problem was fixed, but never again since, lol. It doesn't even work for proximity unlocking anymore :facepalm:

Guess I have to go back to fob life

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
When this happens to me, I have to unlock my phone, and open the Rivian app. Once I do that, take foot off the brake, then back on the brake, then it's ready to go. Not perfect, but it works.

silby1383

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I have had this multiple times on multiple software releases. Usually I have to fish my card out of my wallet to get the truck going. Going into the app never seems to help me. One time I didn't have my wallet with me and couldn't get it going at all. Only way to resolve was to completely reboot the truck - then it worked.

Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Rivian's VP of software offered to pass my issue along to the team and they've identified the issue as a bug with Android 13 that they're working with Google on.
Yeah I've noticed since I went to A13 my truck doesn't work for PAAK at all.

DM me if you he wants another data point. Pixel 5 Android 13.

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had the same problem with Android 13 (Pixel 5) but fixed it this afternoon with the help of a support tech.

We tried about a million things but ultimately what appeared to work was removing the phone as a key, turning BT on my phone off and back on, then re-adding it as a key.

I wasn't able to re-add it without toggling BT off and on.

OP
OP
PastyPilgrim

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had the same problem with Android 13 (Pixel 5) but fixed it this afternoon with the help of a support tech.

We tried about a million things but ultimately what appeared to work was removing the phone as a key, turning BT on my phone off and back on, then re-adding it as a key.

I wasn't able to re-add it without toggling BT off and on.
If my experience is any indication, that will only last for a day or two before it stops working again.

Sponsored

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Damn. You were right. Hours later it had stopped working again.

I called Rivian again and they said someone else had solved the problem recently and they were going to transfer me to him. They did and it was the guy I'd worked with that afternoon. Hated to have to tell him.

OP
OP
PastyPilgrim

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I got the September Android patch in beta a few days ago and so far haven't had any issues with PaaK, so I think that this bug has been resolved. I think the patch should hit everyone in the first week of September.

Perk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2012 Volt, 2013 Odyssey, R2S reserved
I lost the use of my phone when I updated to Android 13 on my Pixel 5. I made the mistake of deleting the phone as a key, and then had no way to re-add it again. I got the android patch yesterday. Phone was successfully added as a key again. I can lock and unlock from my app, and proximity is working. However, this morning the truck is now asking me to present a key before driving. I can sit in the truck and lock and unlock the truck from the phone app, but the truck will not go into the ready state without pulling out my card. (Update: rebooting phone appears to have solved this).

I still have some basic things to try, like rebooting my phone. But at least I can use the app now and so I can confirm that the Android 13 made a difference for me. Build TP1A.220905.004

Last edited:
OP
OP
PastyPilgrim

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I lost the use of my phone when I updated to Android 13 on my Pixel 5. I made the mistake of deleting the phone as a key, and then had no way to re-add it again. I got the android patch yesterday. Phone was successfully added as a key again. I can lock and unlock from my app, and proximity is working. However, this morning the truck is now asking me to present a key before driving. I can sit in the truck and lock and unlock the truck from the phone app, but the truck will not go into the ready state without pulling out my card. 😔

I still have some basic things to try, like rebooting my phone. But at least I can use the app now and so I can confirm that the Android 13 made a difference for me. Build TP1A.220905.004
I'm surprised that you're having trouble even after getting the September patch. I haven't had even a hiccup in PaaK performance in the 2 weeks since I got the update (also with Pixel 5).

Have you tried deleting and readding the key since updating? That wasn't necessary for me but couldn't hurt to try.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Unpair/Forget all BT devices on your phone including the Rivian and delete as a key. Re-pair the Rivian first as a key, test to ensure it works, and then add back other BT devices.
Sponsored