Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
Yesterday morning and this morning I've used the app to start pre-heating the truck, walked out with my phone, the doors have unlocked due to Bluetooth, I've entered the truck, put my foot on the brake, pushed the lever to attempt to go into reverse...and gotten this message:
Rivian R1T R1S Phone as a key PAAK ~not working: "Present a key to start your drive" Present_a_key_to_start_your_drive

I'm playing music through Bluetooth connected to the car, but the phone as a key isn't recognized. I've had to force-quit the Rivian app on the phone and re-launch it to be able to drive.

Anyone else see this behavior recently?
Sponsored

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
My wife had this issue yesterday, almost got stranded at work but she had the backup key card with her. We had to update permissions with the app update to allow the app to use the phone as a key. Open the app and pull up the option screen (like where you precondition the truck), that is where we got a message asking for permission.

Rivian really should send a note out with app updates if this is necessary.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I used to have this exact issue when using both the fob and the PaaK on same outing. Have always carried the key card in my wallet given earlier janky PaaK issues.

That said, the PaaK has been nearly flawless the past two months or so with various OTA improvements. Still carry the card.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I stopped using my iPhone as a key long ago. I just got really tired of having the R1T doors unlock every time I was in the 2nd floor room above the garage where my R1T was parked.

TucsonST

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition, 2020 Acura RDX Advance
Occupation
Engineer
Same issue happened to me (Galaxy ZF4). Toggled airplane mode and key was recognized. Saw the notice about permission in the app later in the day, accepted that and issue hasn't recurred so far.

Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Yes. Randomly. Then yesterday on App 1.10 the phone just stopped working as a key altogether and I had to repair.

Always take your keycard.

Rivian R1T R1S Phone as a key PAAK ~not working: "Present a key to start your drive" DAEAE89E-23BD-4893-9BBE-03D077341F10

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Sorta has that feeling that the new co-op is messing with the key server.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

1.10 app update seems to have fixed my PAK lock/unlock issues, but then it'll occasionally not recognize the phone to start the truck. I carry my wristband so it's not a big deal.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve seen this two times since recent app update, 1.10 version on iOS. Also noticed it does not show the kW/V/A on my Rivian wall charger while charging after the update.

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)
Phone as a key has stopped working almost entirely on my Android running Rivian app 1.10 (Samsung Z Fold 4, Android 13, One UI 5.0). Frustrating.

Sponsored

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

The PaaK is literally my least favorite part of this whole thing, it rarely works consistently. On top of that, even the fob never consistently works. It's annoying to pull out the fob and hit the unlock button. The truck should at least recognize the fob when I'm next to the door like it does in literally every other car out there with keyless access.

howler99

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX 350
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

I had this happen recently at the gym. Left my key at home, and thought I would be ok, since I had my phone.

After working out, the truck opened the doors, but gave me the "present key" message.

In my case, I was able to reboot the phone and everything worked fine.

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
Phone as a key has stopped working almost entirely on my Android running Rivian app 1.10 (Samsung Z Fold 4, Android 13, One UI 5.0). Frustrating.

My phone key stopped working for the second time back on December 19th on my Galaxy Z Flip3 5G phone. I keep trying, but I can't get it to connect with my truck. Very frustrating...I agree.

(Be sure to read my later post in this thread to see how I fixed it!)

Last edited:

Wililye

First Name
Changwoo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, NV3500
Occupation
Restaurant owner
I had this happen recently at the gym. Left my key at home, and thought I would be ok, since I had my phone.

After working out, the truck opened the doors, but gave me the "present key" message.

In my case, I was able to reboot the phone and everything worked fine.
Delivered Friday and my phone key stopped working today. I'm using Samsung fold 4 also

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
This happens to me every so often. My workaround has been to clear the app from my phone’s memory and then restart the app.
Sponsored