Sponsored

Phantom... Parking?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I just picked up an aerator from Home Depot and was reversing from my parking spot to the pickup spot. I couldn't go over 4mph or further than 30ft without the truck slamming into Park. I tried going real slow, it kept stopping and putting it in park. The only warning I got was "Slow down before putting in park." It seems like it was reading the Park button being pressed, but I wasn't touching the stalk at all.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Button wasn't stuck, was it?

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Button wasn't stuck, was it?
Nope. I tried pressing it, nothing happened since it was in park already. Once I went into Drive, it was fine.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Report it so that they can take a look

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Also, DON'T LONG PRESS THE PARK BUTTON WHILE DRIVING!!!! I f*cked up and thought this was the sprayer for the windshield, as this feature is on the right for all of my other cars. This actually activates the emergency deceleration (even when not in tow mode) and it is quite unnerving! I now have a weird 'ticking' sound under deceleration below 18mph...

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Could be a stretch, but were you watching the screen or looking over your shoulder? In our ID4 If you lift your rear off the seat just a bit while looking over your shoulder it slams into park. It's really unnerving. Not sure the rivian does it too but wouldn't be surprised.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Could be a stretch, but were you watching the screen or looking over your shoulder? In our ID4 If you lift your rear off the seat just a bit while looking over your shoulder it slams into park. It's really unnerving. Not sure the rivian does it too but wouldn't be surprised.
This is what I was about to type. Whenever my wife drove my Model S, she would call me all pissed off because the car keeps turning off every time she reverses. It had never happened to me, so we were so confused. Finally, I noticed one day in her car that she lifted her butt off the seat when looking over her shoulder and it all snapped into focus at that point! She kept accidentally "turning the car off" every time she reversed.

mpp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Audi R8, BMW M3, Toyota FJ Cruiser
Also in my Tesla if my seat belt is not fastened it will go into park once over a certain speed.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Did you have your Seatbelt on?

Tesla watches for seatbelt and seat weight sensor. If your seatbelt is not on, and you lift weight off the seat looking over your shoulder it will automatically put itself into park.

Tesla also parks itself if you open the door (even with your seatbelt on) which is another feature that drives me nuts.

Edit - I guess I type too slow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Also in my Tesla if my seat belt is not fastened it will go into park once over a certain speed.
☝ Both things totally happened. No belt, lifted off, was looking backward. I'm not used to looking at cameras on the display!

I'm testing this later. Having a beer now and waiting for the 15 minute sleep reset to get the sound working again.

Sponsored

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

This is what I was about to type. Whenever my wife drove my Model S, she would call me all pissed off because the car keeps turning off every time she reverses. It had never happened to me, so we were so confused. Finally, I noticed one day in her car that she lifted her butt off the seat when looking over her shoulder and it all snapped into focus at that point! She kept accidentally "turning the car off" every time she reversed.
So in other words, you need to be mentally flexible if you’re not physically flexible.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

☝ Both things totally happened. No belt, lifted off, was looking backward. I'm not used to looking at cameras on the display!

I'm testing this later. Having a beer now and waiting for the 15 minute sleep reset to get the sound working again.
I can confirm, it's the weight off the seat. No seat belt, no problem. Lift yourself up and look back, ?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Are the camera angles not enough?

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Are the camera angles not enough?
Oh they're great, I just forget about it and default to leaning/looking back. Same with using the stalk for cruise control, I keep turning it off when I want to speed up. It's my first smart car, I've never even had Bluetooth before! It's been information overload for sure.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Oh they're great, I just forget about it and default to leaning/looking back. Same with using the stalk for cruise control, I keep turning it off when I want to speed up. It's my first smart car, I've never even had Bluetooth before! It's been information overload for sure.
Glad to hear. I have the range of motion of James Caan in Way of The Gun, so i really rely on the backup cam.
Sponsored