Sponsored

R1S88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This is great - thanks for helping to get this done. I am trying to decide between the version covering the rails vs not covering. I haven't used the tie down rails yet, but wondering if it will be difficult to use them if you have them covered by the flaps.
Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Haha. I think they may have added it as you were surfing there site. It wasn’t up before that.
That makes me feel much better!

OP
OP
brandanop

brandanop

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lexus RX450hl
Occupation
Technical Program Manager, Google
This is great - thanks for helping to get this done. I am trying to decide between the version covering the rails vs not covering. I haven't used the tie down rails yet, but wondering if it will be difficult to use them if you have them covered by the flaps.
The prototype didnt cover the rails. I wish it did. I wouldn’t mind having to lift the cover to use the tie downs. I would rather not have to clean puke from the rails though :)

Kieran

First Name
Kieran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S75, 2007 Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Engineer
Let me tell you, you have not lived until you have cleaned such a mess out of the cracks and crevices between seats (especially with a weak stomach!)
The products look great and as the owners of 2 labradors, we may look into this if/when we take delivery on our R1S. However I just had to comment on the above quoted portion...

As the parents of 3 children, having gone on NUMEROUS long road trips through mountain roads in our 2007 Sequoia with one or all of the kids in various stages of car seats, I have definitely had my fare share of cleaning vomit (and all manner of other items/fluids) from between, on, around, and under, the seats and dash and doors and everywhere in that car. LOL. Small young children have a surprisingly adept ability to go from "totally fine and laughing and enjoying the ride" to projectile vomit a-la Stand by Me, in the blink of an eye. Like, going from a jovial game of "I'm going on a picnic" to OHMYGODTHERESPUKEEVERYWHERE!!!!!! in nothing flat. Didn't know a 3-year-old's stomach could contain that much volume of liquid.

OK, and now back to your regularly scheduled programming of canvas cargo covers for pets.

OP
OP
brandanop

brandanop

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lexus RX450hl
Occupation
Technical Program Manager, Google
The products look great and as the owners of 2 labradors, we may look into this if/when we take delivery on our R1S. However I just had to comment on the above quoted portion...

As the parents of 3 children, having gone on NUMEROUS long road trips through mountain roads in our 2007 Sequoia with one or all of the kids in various stages of car seats, I have definitely had my fare share of cleaning vomit (and all manner of other items/fluids) from between, on, around, and under, the seats and dash and doors and everywhere in that car. LOL. Small young children have a surprisingly adept ability to go from "totally fine and laughing and enjoying the ride" to projectile vomit a-la Stand by Me, in the blink of an eye. Like, going from a jovial game of "I'm going on a picnic" to OHMYGODTHERESPUKEEVERYWHERE!!!!!! in nothing flat. Didn't know a 3-year-old's stomach could contain that much volume of liquid.

OK, and now back to your regularly scheduled programming of canvas cargo covers for pets.
Oh! Been there too! So so gross

Sponsored

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Great stuff looks like something I’ll be picking up as well. I’m assuming the fabric is waterproof and leak resistant material?

Also in the R1S does the back tailgate window roll down? I should be getting mine Next month. Thanks.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

update! Product link from canvasback: https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-cargo-cover.html

See below reply for more links as well.

Back in late February, I contacted Canvasback, Inc. to ask them if they had an R1S cargo cover that covered the gaps between the rows when the seats were down. I need this because I have a large dog with car anxiety that drools excessively and vomits on long car rides. Let me tell you, you have not lived until you have cleaned such a mess out of the cracks and crevices between seats (especially with a weak stomach!)

William from Canvasback responded the same day and told me that they had had similar requests and just needed to get their hands on another R1S to build a prototype. They are in MN and I am in MA, so I couldn’t be of help there.

To my surprise exactly 2 months later to the day on April 27th, William contacted me out of the blue to offer me the opportunity to buy a prototype. I received it and have installed it. I love it! Here is my review along with pictures:

The Canvasback, Inc. 1-Piece Cargo cover is absolutely perfect for my needs. It is 2 simple pieces that attach to eachother with hook and loop for easy detachment when the 3rd row is up. There are clasps to attach the mats to the second and third row headrests and elastics to attach the end to the spare tire cover. It is very easy to install and remove. Most importantly I covers the crevices and gaps completely. It seems to be waterproof as well. The only suggested potential improvements would be to add hook and loop (hook side) to the bottom perimeter to allow the liner to be tightly attached to the carpet for a cleaner look. I would also love an option to cover the sides and 3rd row armrests.

Overall it is a nice solution to my problem. I was even able to order it with the yellow stitching. It feels great to support a small business that excels at customer service.

pics:

IMG_8387.jpeg

IMG_8386.jpeg

IMG_8385.jpeg

IMG_8384.jpeg

IMG_8382.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

IMG_8383.jpeg

IMG_8380.jpeg
Wish I knew about this before I ordered their other product…

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Man, I was so excited when I first clicked on this thread. I was one of the people who previously reached out to Canvasback to create this product. However, I have to say, this totally misses the mark. I don’t seen how this is much better than what they currently offer. The product needs to create a “tub” to effectively trap dirt, sand, etc. by extending all the way up to the windows. This design would help protect the third row arm rests, as well.

I have the product linked below in my X Plaid, which I have modified with powerful magnets to replace the velcro.

Tesla Cargo Cover

I can throw dirty strollers, beach wagons, wet towels, etc. in the trunk without worrying about dirt and sand getting all over. To clean, I just pull the cover out of the trunk and shake out the dirt and wash it.

This new Canvasback cover wouldn’t give me any more peace of mind than the original. It basically just protects the carpet on the back of your seats. I don’t get it.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
FWIW- This weekend I had to pick up a family member and her German Short Hair Pointer from the train station. On a whim I tried our Model 3 rear seat pet liner (the OEM one from the Tesla store) in the R1T and it fit perfectly!

So if you have a rear seat protector/pet liner for a Model 3 or Model Y... it fits perfectly in the R1T.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
That's a great product even if you don't have dogs but want to through a bunch of messy stuff in the back of your car.

Fes

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Business Owner
Man, I was so excited when I first clicked on this thread. I was one of the people who previously reached out to Canvasback to create this product. However, I have to say, this totally misses the mark. I don’t seen how this is much better than what they currently offer. The product needs to create a “tub” to effectively trap dirt, sand, etc. by extending all the way up to the windows. This design would help protect the third row arm rests, as well.

I have the product linked below in my X Plaid, which I have modified with powerful magnets to replace the velcro.

Tesla Cargo Cover

I can throw dirty strollers, beach wagons, wet towels, etc. in the trunk without worrying about dirt and sand getting all over. To clean, I just pull the cover out of the trunk and shake out the dirt and wash it.

This new Canvasback cover wouldn’t give me any more peace of mind than the original. It basically just protects the carpet on the back of your seats. I don’t get it.
I have to agree here. I love the form factor and the contoured design of the the canvas one, but it's just protecting the carpeting and not really solving the sandy and soil that always manages to get into the cracks. Having the bucket/tub design is far more practical. I'd prefer the tactical canvas material looks-wise, so I'd say there is opportunity here for another variation that is more of a one-piece design.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
For those wanting something more like a bucket than just a flat cover, have you emailed or called Canvasback to see if such a thing is doable? They seem incredibly responsive and willing to do custom versions of things. It looks like every order is hand cut to order, so they might be able to do something more like what you want with high side flaps.

TPL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Toyota Sequoia, KTM 690 Enduro R
That's amazing to see. I don't have my R1S yet, but I've been hoping they would do something with fewer seams for those of us who will almost never need the 3rd row of seats.

I think the other upgrade I would want is the velcro on the back for a tailgate flap, but that should be a very simple upgrade for them to add.
I agree, a tailgate flap would work great with this!