First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lexus RX450hl
Occupation
Technical Program Manager, Google
update! Product link from canvasback: https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-cargo-cover.html

See below reply for more links as well.

Back in late February, I contacted Canvasback, Inc. to ask them if they had an R1S cargo cover that covered the gaps between the rows when the seats were down. I need this because I have a large dog with car anxiety that drools excessively and vomits on long car rides. Let me tell you, you have not lived until you have cleaned such a mess out of the cracks and crevices between seats (especially with a weak stomach!)

William from Canvasback responded the same day and told me that they had had similar requests and just needed to get their hands on another R1S to build a prototype. They are in MN and I am in MA, so I couldn’t be of help there.

To my surprise exactly 2 months later to the day on April 27th, William contacted me out of the blue to offer me the opportunity to buy a prototype. I received it and have installed it. I love it! Here is my review along with pictures:

The Canvasback, Inc. 1-Piece Cargo cover is absolutely perfect for my needs. It is 2 simple pieces that attach to eachother with hook and loop for easy detachment when the 3rd row is up. There are clasps to attach the mats to the second and third row headrests and elastics to attach the end to the spare tire cover. It is very easy to install and remove. Most importantly I covers the crevices and gaps completely. It seems to be waterproof as well. The only suggested potential improvements would be to add hook and loop (hook side) to the bottom perimeter to allow the liner to be tightly attached to the carpet for a cleaner look. I would also love an option to cover the sides and 3rd row armrests.

Overall it is a nice solution to my problem. I was even able to order it with the yellow stitching. It feels great to support a small business that excels at customer service.

pics:

Rivian R1T R1S Pet Owners Rejoice! Sneak Peek at the excellent Canvasback 1-Piece R1S Cargo Cover Prototype IMG_8387

Rivian R1T R1S Pet Owners Rejoice! Sneak Peek at the excellent Canvasback 1-Piece R1S Cargo Cover Prototype IMG_8386

Rivian R1T R1S Pet Owners Rejoice! Sneak Peek at the excellent Canvasback 1-Piece R1S Cargo Cover Prototype IMG_8385

Rivian R1T R1S Pet Owners Rejoice! Sneak Peek at the excellent Canvasback 1-Piece R1S Cargo Cover Prototype IMG_8384

Rivian R1T R1S Pet Owners Rejoice! Sneak Peek at the excellent Canvasback 1-Piece R1S Cargo Cover Prototype IMG_8382

Rivian R1T R1S Pet Owners Rejoice! Sneak Peek at the excellent Canvasback 1-Piece R1S Cargo Cover Prototype IMG_8381

Rivian R1T R1S Pet Owners Rejoice! Sneak Peek at the excellent Canvasback 1-Piece R1S Cargo Cover Prototype IMG_8383

Rivian R1T R1S Pet Owners Rejoice! Sneak Peek at the excellent Canvasback 1-Piece R1S Cargo Cover Prototype IMG_8380
Sponsored

Last edited:

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

That is something we would be interested in. I like your suggestions. The only thing I might want is to add something that partially blocks the space between the front seats. To deter furry faces from crawling thru. Definitely better than throwing down a bunch of blankets.

OP
OP
brandanop

brandanop

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

WestRivian7000

First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
NONE
Clubs

Back in late February, I contacted Canvasback, Inc. to ask them if they had an R1S cargo cover that covered the gaps between the rows when the seats were down. I need this because I have a large dog with car anxiety that drools excessively and vomits on long car rides. Let me tell you, you have not lived until you have cleaned such a mess out of the cracks and crevices between seats (especially with a weak stomach!)

William from Canvasback responded the same day and told me that they had had similar requests and just needed to get their hands on another R1S to build a prototype. They are in MN and I am in MA, so I couldn’t be of help there.

To my surprise exactly 2 months later to the day on April 27th, William contacted me out of the blue to offer me the opportunity to buy a prototype. I received it and have installed it. I love it! Here is my review along with pictures:

The Canvasback, Inc. 1-Piece Cargo cover is absolutely perfect for my needs. It is 2 simple pieces that attach to eachother with hook and loop for easy detachment when the 3rd row is up. There are clasps to attach the mats to the second and third row headrests and elastics to attach the end to the spare tire cover. It is very easy to install and remove. Most importantly I covers the crevices and gaps completely. It seems to be waterproof as well. The only suggested potential improvements would be to add hook and loop (hook side) to the bottom perimeter to allow the liner to be tightly attached to the carpet for a cleaner look. I would also love an option to cover the sides and 3rd row armrests.

Overall it is a nice solution to my problem. I was even able to order it with the yellow stitching. It feels great to support a small business that excels at customer service.

pics:

IMG_8387.jpeg

IMG_8386.jpeg

IMG_8385.jpeg

IMG_8384.jpeg

IMG_8382.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

IMG_8383.jpeg

IMG_8380.jpeg
Looks great. Is it available to purchase now.
Also, my dog likes to rest its head or stand up between the two heads rests of the second row. Would be nice to have a small section that I can pull over between the two head rests.

Sponsored

OP
OP
brandanop

brandanop

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Looks great. Is it available to purchase now.
Also, my dog likes to rest its head or stand up between the two heads rests of the second row. Would be nice to have a small section that I can pull over between the two head rests.
The canvasback people told me it isn’t available yet, but as soon as it is, I will update my post with a link.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
That's amazing to see. I don't have my R1S yet, but I've been hoping they would do something with fewer seams for those of us who will almost never need the 3rd row of seats.

I think the other upgrade I would want is the velcro on the back for a tailgate flap, but that should be a very simple upgrade for them to add.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
I have the Canvasback liners in my Telluride and love them. We have two Welshies that frequently travel with us, and the cargo area of our SUV sees a lot of use, so liners are essential and we're very happy with the Canvasbacks. Yes, their stuff is more expensive than most, but it is very well-made using high quality materials and the fit is excellent, so good value for the money.

Our R1S isn't going to arrive for a while, but a set of Convasback liners will likely be among the first accessories we purchase once we have the Rivian. Have no affiliation with Canvasback, just happy to share my positive experience with them and say that IMO, they make a quality product.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

It's interesting that you have a single-piece design, but what's available on the website is 9 pieces. I'm not sure which I like better.

Now I see the single piece. Just have to look next time!! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandanop

brandanop

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That's amazing to see. I don't have my R1S yet, but I've been hoping they would do something with fewer seams for those of us who will almost never need the 3rd row of seats.

I think the other upgrade I would want is the velcro on the back for a tailgate flap, but that should be a very simple upgrade for them to add.
I am pretty sure they offer that as an add on

Sponsored

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
I just wished they had a better solution for the third-row armrests. The paws on some dogs will easily mess up that chrome, not to mention golf clubs/golf carts etc.

They do offer some protection with an add-on product, just not full protection.

https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-cargo-side-pieces.html

Rivian R1T R1S Pet Owners Rejoice! Sneak Peek at the excellent Canvasback 1-Piece R1S Cargo Cover Prototype img_2250

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I've been using this cargo protector from Orvis. Well made, near perfect fit and color match. Now that I have the dog crate installed, I still use it underneath the crate.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I was looking at your photos again. I agree with your comment about wanting the velcro around the edges. I think that would help. I'm also curious about the photo with the 3rd row up: Does that require you to move the elastic straps to the tailgate panel instead of the spare tire cover? If so, that's clever of them to have planned that out. I think that's also maybe why they can't have velcro to keep it more secure. It needs to be able to move a little, depending on how the seats are setup.

Also, thanks for the post, the photos, and the video. Super helpful!

OP
OP
brandanop

brandanop

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

pics:

IMG_8387.jpeg

IMG_8386.jpeg

IMG_8385.jpeg

IMG_8384.jpeg

IMG_8382.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

IMG_8383.jpeg

IMG_8380.jpeg
UPDATE: Canvasback has launched the product and has sent me links to it and to the accessories that you all asked about. They are reading this thread, so use it to give them feedback.
Links:
Ok, here you go! Here is the link to the Cargo cover for the Rivian R1S -https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-cargo-cover.html

A few notes – if they want their tailgate covered, they will have to order it separately here:https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-tailgate-pieces.html

If they want the Bumper Flap, they should order the tailgate cover as that is where the bumper flap attachment is located.https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-bumper-flap.html

If they have the Cargo Liner, it will come with the tailgate pieces and they can just use the cargo cover on top as extra easy in and out protection!

I also saw someone asked about seat flaps – we have those too! 😊https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-seat-flap.html

Coming soon – Bench Seat protection for the 2nd & 3rd row seats along with a Hammock option for the second row that swings up and attached to the front row headrests!

OP
OP
brandanop

brandanop

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It's interesting that you have a single-piece design, but what's available on the website is 9 pieces. I'm not sure which I like better.

Now I see the single piece. Just have to look next time!! :)
Haha. I think they may have added it as you were surfing there site. It wasn’t up before that.
Sponsored