Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Ba

But stated he cannot discuss or publish range? Come on Rivian it’s getting ridiculous at this point.
Given the way he said it, I suspect he's being caut about the quiet period, because he specifically mentioned that Rivian hasn't released it so he can't.

Should be fairly easy to connect the dots though depending on how much he shares the ring into. We know roughly where they're stopping.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’m pretty sure that they are a poster here.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Ba

But stated he cannot discuss or publish range? Come on Rivian it’s getting ridiculous at this point.
I agree. That's ridiculous. How can Rivian control what info people share about their own vehicles?

Maybe this is why they are making the initial deliveries to employees... Employees can be controlled easier than regular customers. Non employees would share info Rivian doesn't want released yet.

If Rivian won't let the current owners release range info, it kind of supports the theory some on this forum have about the initial deliveries being some sort of extended beta test as opposed to "real" deliveries.

Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
This is just my theory, but I think it is just extended beta testing. If mileage is really less than they expect over the next few months of employees driving the trucks, Rivian can do an update to the battery to give it a bit more range. Tesla has done this in the past.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Given the way he said it, I suspect he's being caut about the quiet period, because he specifically mentioned that Rivian hasn't released it so he can't.
That is a pretty weak excuse. Rivian is never going to release towing range, there are too many variables. Would be nice to see how THIS truck is doing on THIS route, with THIS load.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That is a pretty weak excuse. Rivian is never going to release towing range, there are too many variables. Would be nice to see how THIS truck is doing on THIS route, with THIS load.
I get it. But I can also see an employee being told "we can't share anything new" and that employee doesn't want to get in trouble just in case.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
There's really two factors. While controlling marketing communications is one, the other likelihood is software and durability testing is still "underway" until end customer deliveries occur. They do not want to release a charge/range number only to have it OTAed to a different value prior to release.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I agree. That's ridiculous. How can Rivian control what info people share about their own vehicles?

Maybe this is why they are making the initial deliveries to employees... Employees can be controlled easier than regular customers. Non employees would share info Rivian doesn't want released yet.

If Rivian won't let the current owners release range info, it kind of supports the theory some on this forum have about the initial deliveries being some sort of extended beta test as opposed to "real" deliveries.
In answer to that question. My understanding is that employees did not actually receive a discount. They didn't just pay $24k (cash) less than everyone else. What I *believe* happened is that they entered into a program whereby Rivian pays them $1000 per month for 24 months to drive a Rivian. As far as I know, the terms of that contract have never been revealed. And probably won't be. At least until 24 months have passed and/or an employee in the program leaves the company. Maybe never, depending on what the penalties for violating the terms are.

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

I believe Lucid was having third party customers sign NDA's to receive delivery on the first dream editions, so you can do anything you want.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
In answer to that question. My understanding is that employees did not actually receive a discount. They didn't just pay $24k (cash) less than everyone else. What I *believe* happened is that they entered into a program whereby Rivian pays them $1000 per month for 24 months to drive a Rivian. As far as I know, the terms of that contract have never been revealed. And probably won't be. At least until 24 months have passed and/or an employee in the program leaves the company. Maybe never, depending on what the penalties for violating the terms are.
Employees get, more or less, $1,000/month of car payments made for them. So it's $24k off, and should be enough they can sell it if they don't want to keep it after 24 month.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Employees get, more or less, $1,000/month of car payments made for them. So it's $24k off, and should be enough they can sell it if they don't want to keep it after 24 month.
I *think* that means we are in agreement about the employee arrangement? Rivian is not simply directing payroll to add $1000 to their paycheck or paying their payments directly. I'd bet there is an agreement somewhere that explains at least to some extent, what employees post/don't post about their vehicles. For example the couple pulling a car across the country freely admit they can't talk about the effect of towing on range because Rivian hasn't published those numbers (other than max towing capability.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I believe Lucid was having third party customers sign NDA's to receive delivery on the first dream editions, so you can do anything you want.
Are you suggesting Lucid made customers sign contracts agreeing not to talk about their cars? That's a pretty big deal if true. Do you have a source?

I find it hard to believe anybody would buy a car under those circumstances, but I'm sure somebody out there would be desperate enough to get one of the first cars to sign something like that.

Imagine Lucid or Rivian, or any other company for that matter, showing a customer a contract that says "what happens in Fight Club stays in Fight Club." The phrasing could be different. Then the customer would be required to sign the nondisclosure in order to have the "privilege" of purchasing a hundred thousand dollar car. I think most people would run.

Last edited:

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited: