Sponsored

Permanent Location for Montgomery County MD Service Center?

Wags

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Clubs

Just had a mobile service appt on 1/12.
My service tech said he heard they are having issues getting permits for the Gaithersburg service center.
It is planned to be the long-term site in the area but they are setting up a short-term service center in College Park until Gaithersburg is ready. The College Park site is expected to open at the end of February.
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Just had a mobile service appt on 1/12.
My service tech said he heard they are having issues getting permits for the Gaithersburg service center.
It is planned to be the long-term site in the area but they are setting up a short-term service center in College Park until Gaithersburg is ready. The College Park site is expected to open at the end of February.
Right down street from me, I'll have to be swinging by ahaha

diehlryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Montgomery County Govt is such a pain in the ass. Wants to be outwardly progressive, re: climate change, carbon neutral, etc but then can't get out of their own way when real things come down the pike like EV charging locations and EV service centers/permits.

Reactions: Guy

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Montgomery County Govt is such a pain in the ass. Wants to be outwardly progressive, re: climate change, carbon neutral, etc but then can't get out of their own way when real things come down the pike like EV charging locations and EV service centers/permits.
Sounds like they are not pro business and smart decisions.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

*Govt* is such a pain in the ass. Wants to be outwardly progressive, re: climate change, carbon neutral, etc but then can't get out of their own way when real things come down the pike like EV charging locations and EV service centers/permits.
Fixed 😂😂😂😂

Sponsored

Clark5170

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X7, GLS 450
Drove past what appears to be the Montgomery Co service center - lots of non-rivian construction trucks plus Rivian LLC is written white paint pen on the office window with a ton of permits posted… maybe some progress!?!?

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Not much seems to be going on at the Gaithersburg SC location. Drove by yesterday and not a lot of progress to report. I don't know where the college park temp location is but I really hope it comes online soon so that they can start delivering to us DMV folks.

I just don't get how Rivian got the planning for the SC for DMV so wrong. The Gaithersburg SC is not a great location IMO. Yes, there is space to grow but its pretty out of the way. Rivian is going to need to create a separate "hub" somewhere closer to DC to really grow their new customer base in the area (which is going to add costs). Having their SC in some place more prominent (like Rockville Pike or Mclean) would have helped both their service needs and getting a "showroom" right next to the BMW/Porsche/MB/Jaguar dealerships to establish the brand (among the non-enthusiasts). Oh well.....

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Hopefully they can get this up and running soon.

My spare tire hatch was stuck shut this weekend. Submitted a service request, and they said that normally has to be done at a SC, and the closest SC to me that is taking appointments is BOSTON!!!!! That is over 6 hours away. Brooklyn, Richmond, and even Cleveland are closer. The spare tire hatch opened once things warmed up (maybe just a tolerance issue as it shouldn't have been frozen, we haven't had rain in days, the tonneau was closed and it was in my garage, so no water there). If they can't do a mobile service for this I will just hold off until I have something that really needs service. I just am not keeping my ratchet straps or jack pucks in there for the time being.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

🍿

Sponsored

Charlie-Mops

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T preorder
I was invited to bid on the electrical for that project. A little too big for my small company but I would have loved to do it though! I have been lucky, only had to go to Richmond once for some minor adjustments and the seat calibration.

8787 Snouffer School Rd
Gaithersburg, MD 20879

Reactions: MWB

MWB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (El Cap, BM, 20" Darks)
I was invited to bid on the electrical for that project. A little too big for my small company but I would have loved to do it though! I have been lucky, only had to go to Richmond once for some minor adjustments and the seat calibration.

8787 Snouffer School Rd
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
I can confirm this address. Live close to here and stopped by on the way home today. Sign was up on the building, three chargers out front, work going on inside the building, sign for owner’s lounge out front, and a single Rivian vehicle in the back— a service vehicle. I couldn’t see inside, but judging by what could see, it seemed like they are getting close.

PhiltheCasual

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Any more details on the opening status? I've been weighing driving down to Richmond (~2.5 hours each way) for a test drive, but if I can wait a bit for a service center in Gaithersburg to open I'd gladly do that! I'm assuming they'd also do TDs out of there?

MWB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (El Cap, BM, 20" Darks)
Any more details on the opening status? I've been weighing driving down to Richmond (~2.5 hours each way) for a test drive, but if I can wait a bit for a service center in Gaithersburg to open I'd gladly do that! I'm assuming they'd also do TDs out of there?
I live close to the new Gaithersburg service center. I spoke with customer service at Rivan a couple of weeks ago: the woman I spoke with told me that they were targeting June as the time that they'd be moving their test drives to the new Gaithersburg service center. I am an R1S reservation holder (estimated delivery is end of this year), and did my first mile last August in an R1T-- but would like to drive an R1S. The woman said that they will first be prioritizing reservation holders who have delivery dates that are coming up soon, but then will be reaching out to others like myself whose delivery estimates are not as close. But you might want to call Rivian customer service if you haven't driven either vehicle yet: 1-888-748-4261.

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
It’s open, for those that don’t know. And there are a TON of new R1S and R1Ts there. I counted over 30 in my recent drive by. And they all had new registration, not existing plates. Giddy up Rivian and start delivering quicker!! :)
Sponsored