First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Listen to the first 10 seconds. It's the Built Right guys talking about the horn. And, as they were among first year deliveries, this would have been one with TWO factory horns. If anyone from Rivian is reading, this sort of reaction is just not something one would associate with a "flagship product".

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Why you guys need different horns, compensating for something? Probably been six months since I've hit mine.

OP
OP
UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Why you guys need different horns, compensating for something? Probably been six months since I've hit mine.
Ever have someone come wide around the 90° corner, hot from the main road, not paying attention—because they're looking at house numbers, phone directions or God knows what—and almost have a head-on collision with you... Because they didn't hear your horn and only barely saw you? This happened to me yesterday afternoon.

Like a first-aid kit. You don't think you need one until you actually could use one.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I never understood the obsession with the horn sound. I could care less as long as it makes someone notice me, which it does perfectly. I don't need it to be jarring, funny, obnoxious or anything other than a horn.

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg
Sounds perfectly normal to me? What’s the big deal? Is it supposed to sound like semi truck?

Sponsored

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
Living in Jersey and driving to NYC often a loud audible horn is a must have for safety reasons. The R1 has the whimpiest horn of all cars I’ve owned in the last 20 years. It cant even beat my daughters Bomt EUV. A poor decision from Rivian. They could have done better. The RealWheels one looks like a decent replacement.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Launch Edition
Do we need to hook it up to the provided relays? I have a Harbor Freight copy cat look a like of the Hella Supertones in my garage that has a relay with it.... I've seen a lot of installs without using the relay and then some people saying a relay is needed for a complete sound?

OP
OP
UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Do we need to hook it up to the provided relays? I have a Harbor Freight copy cat look a like of the Hella Supertones in my garage that has a relay with it.... I've seen a lot of installs without using the relay and then some people saying a relay is needed for a complete sound?
Short answer: Depends on current draw.

Long answer: If yours left the factory with just one horn, it's probably fine to add a second one (of similar type; i.e. not air horn) in parallel and not overload that circuit. Some members have done this already. It looks like what Built Right did is two aftermarket horns in place of one of the two factory horns; for a total of three working horns (excessive IMO). So, anticipating more current draw, they used a relay to power the two aftermarket units directly from the 12V battery (and using wiring for the one factory horn as trigger).

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

This forum is definitely not a "walk softly but carry a big stick" kinda place...

Driving the big stick, y'all still want to join the arms race that is noise pollution too?

OP
OP
UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
This forum is definitely not a "walk softly but carry a big stick" kinda place...

Driving the big stick, y'all still want to join the arms race that is noise pollution too?
AS IF people who want a more effective warning device will also stalk you and lay on the horn continuously. It isn't for you, fine. It ain't about you either.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Can I get a horn that sounds like Chewbacca?

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Probably been six months since I've hit mine.
I use my horn at least once a day, same for my wife. That's a good day. Last week, early AM commute, no-one on the road, half dozen times at people (veering into my lane) driving while on the phone, reading, putting on makeup or shaving while eating.

kong

First Name
Rajiv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
If you drive in urban cities like NY, you probably need a slightly louder dual-horn sound. I do, so $20 and 30 mins of effort was well worth it for me. If you want the sound of a freight train, and scare your elderly neighbors while you’re at it, then an airhorn setup with a relay is probably for you. Live and let live.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Flagship horn? LOL

/from a guy who has put to hella super tones in already