Sponsored

Per Rivian: plant is running 2 production lines... one for Amazon and another for the R1T. Won't delay the R1T

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
I think it’s weird you don’t think that deliveries should be to the public. So there, we have both established our opinions of each other’s positions. Mission accomplished?

Seriously though, when you’re sending emails to the public and doing press about deliveries starting, no one is thinking that your CFO is getting a truck, they are thinking the public. It’s intentionally misleading at best…
So…Employees aren’t members of “the public” now?

…got it.
Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
So…Employees aren’t members of “the public” now?

…got it.
Head on in to the employees only restroom and you’ll learn the difference. They will point you to the public one.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I've said it in other threads, I'll say it here - having two production lines does not gurarantee that R1 production is unaffected by Amazon van production priority. There are some common components to the Van and R1 - Drive train and battery cells, for example. Rivian has stated that the Van has priority. If a supply chain constraint (did you watch the news recently???) affects a common component such as battery cells, Rivian is clearly telling us that the van will take priority.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I've said it in other threads, I'll say it here - having two production lines does not gurarantee that R1 production is unaffected by Amazon van production priority. There are some common components to the Van and R1 - Drive train and battery cells, for example. Rivian has stated that the Van has priority. If a supply chain constraint (did you watch the news recently???) affects a common component such as battery cells, Rivian is clearly telling us that the van will take priority.
100k sold orders for vans trumps ~48k options to purchase for R1

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
And before you say anything, employee deliveries count regardless of what you forum weirdos think when you move the goal posts every time.
I agree that employee deliveries count, but with one qualification: they only count if the vehicles the employees get are indistinguishable from those that the general public will get. If employees are getting vehicles with known issues that Rivian still has to fix before they’ll deliver to outsiders (this is my suspicion) then no, they don’t count, because it’s not just a question of who’s first in line.

Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
@Kmann1994
You seem so convinced that production and deliveries are "literally " happening . Your evidence is the beta tester ambosrivian on Instagram. A handful of trucks to employees to meet some deadline doesn't count.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

100k sold orders for vans trumps ~48k options to purchase for R1
The contract is for 100k vans by 2030, with 10k by the end of 2022. That amounts to less than 12k vans per year for the remaining contract. The 50k R1 orders all expect delivery ASAP, and there should be a steady stream of new orders especially once people start seeing them on the road. This to me indicates the R1 line will be the busier line and higher priority.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The dealers would. I mean I've only ordered a car two times in my life, but when I ordered one to my spec I got a weekly update, told when I should expect a VIN, told when it was put on the boat, even which port it was at and what stops the truck hauling it was on. Got a call as it was rolling off the truck so I could see it in all it's plastic coated glory before they cleaned it up.
But that was a completely different situation. Those were not startup models in a startup factory by a startup company. And your previous experiences were not during a global supply chain fiasco.

Go to a Ford dealer today, order a truck, better yet a Lightning, and ask them when it will be delivered and that you want weekly production updates. Good luck with that.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
But that was a completely different situation. Those were not startup models in a startup factory by a startup company. And your previous experiences were not during a global supply chain fiasco.

Go to a Ford dealer today, order a truck, better yet a Lightning, and ask them when it will be delivered and that you want weekly production updates. Good luck with that.
The TT Roadster was a brand new vehicle released that year, while Audi wasn't new, the car was very new. First convertible in years from Audi as well.

The Ford Dealer will say 'the car isn't in production yet, once the production line starts we can give you a better view of how things are going' for Lightning.

Even with this supply chain fiasco you can provide information. Silent and crazy news articles from Bloomberg aren't helping this situation.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The contract is for 100k vans by 2030, with 10k by the end of 2022. That amounts to less than 12k vans per year for the remaining contract. The 50k R1 orders all expect delivery ASAP, and there should be a steady stream of new orders especially once people start seeing them on the road. This to me indicates the R1 line will be the busier line and higher priority.
Per the S1 document, that first 100K Amazon van ramp is faster than that and is supposed to be done by 2025. Amazon will have a 4 year exclusive from when the first ones are purchased and then a 2 year period with first right to the vehicles.

I'm sure Rivian is looking at this line of vehicles long term as a stable revenue generator. I would be surprised if some of the camper companies would not start looking at them for potential markets to use these as base platforms similar to the Sprinter vans. If they can prove themselves as reliable delivery vehicles which are extremely hard on the lifespan a lot of possibilities could be out there.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The TT Roadster was a brand new vehicle released that year, while Audi wasn't new, the car was very new. First convertible in years from Audi as well.

The Ford Dealer will say 'the car isn't in production yet, once the production line starts we can give you a better view of how things are going' for Lightning.

Even with this supply chain fiasco you can provide information. Silent and crazy news articles from Bloomberg aren't helping this situation.
Your TT was built on VW's A4 platform, which had been around since 1996. Its drivetrain was existing VW/Audi parts(the proven 1.8T and VR6 engines, haldex AWD from other cars), etc.

Not a clean-sheet design built in a brand new factory with a brand new workforce.

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
everything would have been fine if RJ said "employees get first dibs because there are still a couple small issues and we want the public deliveries to be perfect...we are shooting for Thanksgiving to really get going on non employee pre order customers" we aren't talking about giving people weekly production updates. just literally ONE statement about what is generally going on

Last edited:

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
everything would have been fine if RJ said "employees get first dibs because there are still a couple small issues and we want the public deliveries to be perfect...we are shooting for Thanksgiving to really get going on non employee pre order customers"

there, is it that hard? instead silence, after he wrote a "heartfelt" email.

write. the. email. we aren't talking about giving people weekly production updates. just literally ONE statement about what is generally going on
Nothing is ever just fine on this forum, irregardless or what is and what is not communicated from Rivian.

On any given day 10% of the commentariat says Rivian is hours from insovlency, another 10% says Rivian is going to make them billionaires, and the rest of us lurk trying to glean when are trucks will arrive (hint: the answer is when they arrive).
Sponsored