First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I thought it would be fun to catalog the reactions that you've seen with passengers or people you've let drive and launch your R1. So far I've had two "holy shit", two weeeees like a roller coaster, and one "Holy shit, I thought we just got rear ended". Also I made my wife do the slow loris hands up pose when I merged onto a road and she wasn't expecting it. Picture for reference.
Rivian R1T R1S People's Launch reactions 47128FC4-4D3A-4C1E-9EA0-5BD5E7FEEF3B
Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
If you want to get a reaction - try it in reverse and see what reactions you get....ask me how I know:surprised:. I'm not recommending you do so, nor advocating it because it can be unsafe, just saying it works forwards and backwards just the same....

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
If you want to get a reaction - try it in reverse and see what reactions you get....ask me how I know:surprised:. I'm not recommending you do so, nor advocating it because it can be unsafe, just saying it works forwards and backwards just the same....
Wow. Yeah forwards scares people enough but maybe if conditions are right I might give it a shot.

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Do you need to do anything specific to get it to launch other than put it in sport mode? Also, can you just floor it or is it recommended to press the pedal gradually?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I almost hurled. Dunno what a G force is but pretty sure that was an introduction.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Do you need to do anything specific to get it to launch other than put it in sport mode? Also, can you just floor it or is it recommended to press the pedal gradually?
Sport mode. Left foot on brake (doesn't have to be hard), right foot floored. Let off of the left foot and enjoy!

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The first time put my Tesla I reverse I almost crashed. I rocketed back much faster than I expected and I nearly ended up in a ditch. I'm not sure if I got used to it or if Tesla has reduced acceleration in reverse but heavy throttle in reverse no longer feels unreasonably quick to me.

If Tesla has changed this over the years, I suspect It was because there were a lot of crashes and Rivian will have the same problem and end up with the same solution.

Timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 cummins | 1994 FZJ80 | 2021 Bolt
I thought it would be fun to catalog the reactions that you've seen with passengers or people you've let drive and launch your R1. So far I've had two "holy shit", two weeeees like a roller coaster, and one "Holy shit, I thought we just got rear ended". Also I made my wife do the slow loris hands up pose when I merged onto a road and she wasn't expecting it. Picture for reference.
Daughter recorded the launch during our test drive:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Msd8A48cXMmqkeKA9

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Fully depress brake, then depress gas pedal fully, take foot off brake and launch. Forward.... Be prepared. Sport and lowest.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
The first time put my Tesla I reverse I almost crashed. I rocketed back much faster than I expected and I nearly ended up in a ditch. I'm not sure if I got used to it or if Tesla has reduced acceleration in reverse but heavy throttle in reverse no longer feels unreasonably quick to me.

If Tesla has changed this over the years, I suspect It was because there were a lot of crashes and Rivian will have the same problem and end up with the same solution.
I agree, not something done lightly. It'll change in an OTA and for all I know has. Never doing it again.

Sponsored

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
Sport mode. Left foot on brake (doesn't have to be hard), right foot floored. Let off of the left foot and enjoy!
I'm curious how the vehicle handles this. I've not yet tried this as the idea feels gnarly, as if I'd create a ton of friction with the motors pushing directly on the brakes. Is the software smart enough to not do that when both pedals are pushed simultaneously, or are the brakes actively working to keep the truck from moving?

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I'm curious how the vehicle handles this. I've not yet tried this as the idea feels gnarly, as if I'd create a ton of friction with the motors pushing directly on the brakes. Is the software smart enough to not do that when both pedals are pushed simultaneously, or are the brakes actively working to keep the truck from moving?
It's limited by the software. When you're using the brakes the motors are not running. The brakes aren't working anymore than they would be otherwise to keep you from moving in a hold mode.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
My wife's best friend just devolved into a cacophony of snorting and barely being able to breathe .

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Yeah, I did a half launch in reverse and swore that wouldn’t ever happen again. One slight turn of the steering and you are screwed.
I do standard launches daily. So much so that I am used to it and doesn’t feel so crazy. I even wonder, “is this not as fast as it once was?” Lol. The R1 is so fun.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Has to be hard enough though. It's very unpleasant if it thinks it's time to go when you're still putting pressure on the brake.
Sponsored