Pelican/Roam type Rugged Case Organizers

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
What are you using to organize your camping/overlanding gear in your rugged cases? ...not talking about lid organizers (which are abundant from manufacturers) but larger rugged cases that are 80+L in size. Does your gear just get piled into the case, or have you found an organization solution?

Rivian R1T R1S Pelican/Roam type Rugged Case Organizers 1678898465393
Rivian R1T R1S Pelican/Roam type Rugged Case Organizers 1678898603434
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I repurposed one of my larger Swissgear backpacks (like this one) that I had laying around. It's big enough for a portable shovel, some survival gear, and some breakdown stuff also like LED flairs and TravelJohns (haven't had to use those thankfully).

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

From cheapest to nicest that I have used for tote storage/organization:

Bareback - Free, risky, proponents claim it feels the best

Trash Bags - usually tear but surprisingly good for waterproof storage

Contractor bags - slight more costly but good for multiple trips/pointy things

pillow cases - can color code but no real abrasion protection

cheap packable/collapsible duffel bags - zippers tend to break but it theoretically easier to carry objects

medium cost duffel bags - same as above but better zippers and REI on a box liner makes you feel better than all the plebes

high cost duffel bags - If Patagonia on your firewood holder is a requirement, good for dunking on smug REI gear owners

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I like the Pelican cases. I believe theyā€™re the largest secure option that isnā€™t a cheap plastic container with a lid. That said, I go for the cheap plastic container with lid option for camping because Iā€™m lazy.

A couple of these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMANDER-...ck-Yellow-Tote-with-Standard-Snap-Lid/3551290

A pair of these: https://a.co/d/jcgnnJY

Mounted to one of these: https://yakima.com/products/megawarrior

I can slide an EZUp and some other long stuff along the side as well. Then I still have the entire bed free for other gear (usually the Yeti, a fire pit, and cooking gear).

Iā€™ve been eyeing some of the cases you show above, and if I pull the trigger, will take some pics when I get them mounted up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am really looking for ideas on DIY dividers inside a rugged case...but like seeing everyone's overall bed organization system as well.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
(Edit: I think I misunderstood the question. The waterproof totes below would probably use as a divider. Otherwise stop reading here if you don't want to read an off topic answer šŸ˜…)

I use RUX 70L cases for most of my sports/overlanding/etc. gear in the truck bed, and organize the contents in them with their waterproof totes. Everything is waterproof, collapsible, and durable. Great for separating wet gear (or keeping gear dry in the wet). For example I have one RUX with my ski boots sitting in it and all my dry gear in a waterproof tote in the same case. Snow can melt off the boots without getting my gear wet, and I can stand on the lid to keep my feet dry when I'm changing in the parking lot.

Not cheap but I got in during a kickstarter a while back, so I paid a bit less than MSRP. But for my money I'd rather have these than a rigid case since they take up so much less room in my garage (by virtue of being collapsible), and organize my truck bed nicely. Disadvantage is they're not secure or super rigid so you can't really mount them externally.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I am really looking for ideas on DIY dividers inside a rugged case...but like seeing everyone's overall bed organization system as well.
I thought Roam has a zippered solution that organizes into their containers? But now I canā€™t find it.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought Roam has a zippered solution that organizes into their containers? But now I canā€™t find it.
I've seen lid organizers with zippered pockets, molle panels for lids, and the padded dividers for the smaller cases, but nothing for the larger cases. Please post if you've seen other solutions...

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I've seen lid organizers with zippered pockets, molle panels for lids, and the padded dividers for the smaller cases, but nothing for the larger cases. Please post if you've seen other solutions...
You might consider Patagonia Black Hole Cubes or similar - they come in 3/6/10L configurations and are great for organizing clutter or soft goods in a space like this. I use the 3L size to organize odds and ends in my center console.

I also use some Step22 bags (specifically the Tamarin Trunk for my tow hitches and ropes and various tiedown gear, and the Pangolin Tool Roll for my tools) to organize my Gear Tunnel. They're great bags and would work just as well in a hard case. I think Step22 makes good packing cubes too and a variety of other bags.

All that said... One approach I lean towards with things like this is, organize the stuff, not the case. If you buy a bunch of organizers for your hard case, you'll be stuck playing a game of round-peg-square-hole every time you pack. Just clump your gear into the best solutions that make sense for the gear (contractor bags, fancy tool roles, plastic grocery store bags, whatever) and let the hard case be an empty vessel.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You might consider Patagonia Black Hole Cubes or similar - they come in 3/6/10L configurations and are great for organizing clutter or soft goods in a space like this. I use the 3L size to organize odds and ends in my center console.

I also use some Step22 bags (specifically the Tamarin Trunk for my tow hitches and ropes and various tiedown gear, and the Pangolin Tool Roll for my tools) to organize my Gear Tunnel. They're great bags and would work just as well in a hard case. I think Step22 makes good packing cubes too and a variety of other bags.

All that said... One approach I lean towards with things like this is, organize the stuff, not the case. If you buy a bunch of organizers for your hard case, you'll be stuck playing a game of round-peg-square-hole every time you pack. Just clump your gear into the best solutions that make sense for the gear (contractor bags, fancy tool roles, plastic grocery store bags, whatever) and let the hard case be an empty vessel.
Good advice here! I've got some Simms packing cubes that I use for clothing articles when travel fishing... don't know why I didn't think about using those in this application as well.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/products/gts-packing-pouches-3-pack

Thanks for the input.

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I think we need more information about your use case.

Do you need it:
  • Secure
  • Waterproof
  • Impactproof
  • Ridgid

Or do you need it to just "contain" stuff in an organized fashion? If the above I think an otter or pelican case is the way to go. If just to contain and organize I think a soft bag solution is better.

I mainly do backpacking camping, but do have some car camping gear, overlanding stuff and when I am hauling that stuff I use a bag solution no matter the vehicle. The bag solutions are lighter, easier to fit into places, cheaper, etc.

I love this canvas parachute bag from Amazon. It is nearly indestructable and just swallows gear up and protects it from snags, tears, a little water/damp, dirt, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XNW1UI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think we need more information about your use case.

Do you need it:
  • Secure
  • Waterproof
  • Impactproof
  • Ridgid

Or do you need it to just "contain" stuff in an organized fashion? If the above I think an otter or pelican case is the way to go. If just to contain and organize I think a soft bag solution is better.

I mainly do backpacking camping, but do have some car camping gear, overlanding stuff and when I am hauling that stuff I use a bag solution no matter the vehicle. The bag solutions are lighter, easier to fit into places, cheaper, etc.

I love this canvas parachute bag from Amazon. It is nearly indestructable and just swallows gear up and protects it from snags, tears, a little water/damp, dirt, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XNW1UI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
In my case, I already own mutliple Roam 82L cases... these easily fit into my truck bed (under the toneau cover when necessary) and are great for being waterproof, dust proof, and rugged proof. I use one for camp kitchen equipment supplies and another for miscellaneous camp items (lights, pump, hand axe, paracord, fire starters, etc., etc.)... another has fly fishing equipment in it, etc. These cases can remain in the truck bed or can easily be carried to point of use as necessary. The only negative is that lots of small items tend to clutter the inside of the case - and you're digging through stuff to find what you're looking for.

I originally thought someone had certainly developed a DIY divider system to be able to sort the misc items inside these cases... but the post above had the idea of using soft storage cubes for items inside each case. This may be the optimum solution.

Thanks for the ideas... always appreciate the group input.

Rivian R1T R1S Pelican/Roam type Rugged Case Organizers 1679069417541

PVguy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Transit Connect, 2000 VW Golf TDI
Occupation
Retired
What are you using to organize your camping/overlanding gear in your rugged cases? ...not talking about lid organizers (which are abundant from manufacturers) but larger rugged cases that are 80+L in size. Does your gear just get piled into the case, or have you found an organization solution?

1678898465393.png
1678898603434.png
How about a milk bottle crate?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Some fella on Youtube is using these Husky storage bins. They fit under the tonneau cover and are supposed to be dust and water proof. Iā€™m considering them.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2...ainer-with-Hinged-Lid-in-Red-246842/311485319

I currently have two Plano wheeled storage trunks. The only downside is that theyā€™re pretty big. I havenā€™t yet checked to see if they fit under the tonneau cover. I used these when camping in my Raptor so I had plenty of space for them at the time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017N98OGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Sponsored