Sponsored

Pedestrian Warning IN DRIVE? Wait...what?

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Just saw a video of an R1T moving FORWARD with an obnoxious pedestrian warning system (vacuum cleaner noise). Our Tesla Model Y makes a noise ONLY in reverse, which makes 100% sense to meet rules/regulations??

Imagine driving slowly on a side-road trying to enjoy the sounds of nature, and instead of hearing what sounds like a broken hoover in your truck bed?
Sponsored

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Just saw a video of an R1T moving FORWARD with an obnoxious pedestrian warning system (vacuum cleaner noise). Our Tesla Model Y makes a noise ONLY in reverse, which makes 100% sense to meet rules/regulations. Why in the sam he** would Rivian program that obnoxious noise in forward/drive when Tesla doesn't do it?

Imagine driving slowly on a side-road trying to enjoy the sounds of nature, and instead of hearing what sounds like a broken hoover in your truck bed? WTF Rivan...death by a thousand cuts. :headbang:

Just what we want...to be embarrassed as we drive through a parking lot. Sorry folks...forgot to shut off my hoover on my truck bed. :rolleyes:?
I suppose the answer you're looking for isn't "because it's federally mandated"?

Your Tesla likely is older than the regulation.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
My 2021 Model Y makes the transporter sound going forward as does our 2021 Model 3.

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
My 2021 Model Y makes the transporter sound going forward as does our 2021 Model 3.
That's super odd...wife has a new Y, I think it's a 22' model (maybe very late 21), but only makes that spaceship noise in reverse.

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I suppose the answer you're looking for isn't "because it's federally mandated"?

Your Tesla likely is older than the regulation.
Well, that answers that! Ha, thank you. Hopefully we can choose a more pleasant noise than a hoover vacuum.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Just saw a video of an R1T moving FORWARD with an obnoxious pedestrian warning system (vacuum cleaner noise). Our Tesla Model Y makes a noise ONLY in reverse, which makes 100% sense to meet rules/regulations??

Imagine driving slowly on a side-road trying to enjoy the sounds of nature, and instead of hearing what sounds like a broken hoover in your truck bed?
Can you post the vid?

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Well, that answers that! Ha, thank you. Hopefully we can choose a more pleasant noise than a hoover vacuum.
Nope. No options.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That's super odd...wife has a new Y, I think it's a 22' model (maybe very late 21), but only makes that spaceship noise in reverse.
sounds like the Y is broken.

Seriously though, fair warning before muffling or disabling it. If you tamper with it and happen to hit someone (for example someone that's visually impaired), be prepared for lawsuit hell.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Well, maybe they’ll do something sophisticated soon like allow you to make fart noises with your horn, or shout at people through the PA system, or something like that!

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
I've had the thought watching videos that it sounds like the Rivian pedestrian noise seems really loud compared to Teslas. But it's hard to tell through videos. If I was an auto manufacturer, I'd implement the quietest possible noise to meet the NHTSA requirements.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I've had the thought watching videos that it sounds like the Rivian pedestrian noise seems really loud compared to Teslas. But it's hard to tell through videos. If I was an auto manufacturer, I'd implement the quietest possible noise to meet the NHTSA requirements.
It is possible the sound needs to be louder. There is something in the regulation about it needing to be similar to a corresponding ICE vehicle of the same class.

The regulations are different around the world. I think EU is up to 12 mph, US is 18 mph.
Sponsored