Sponsored

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
Had a quick adventure to the top of Mount Evans/Blue Sky this morning. We live in west Denver so we stopped in ID Springs for a breakfast burrito and coffee and then headed up the mountain. Fun trip, definitely used the overhead 360 camera view a handful of times in narrow spots when passing cars with a cliff next to us.

Other Highlights:
  • Guy with an early 2022 reservation comes up once we park at the summit to chat me up, very excited, only 2nd he'd seen in person before
  • On our way out I was creeping out of our spot and there was a guy walking toward me and sort of loudly said "hey" to get our attention (window open but I'm convinced he was about to step in front of the truck anyway). Turns out he was driving the F-something 50 diesel behind me. Thick southern accent says jokingly "you were able to get that up here on that battery." I told him I left the house at 70% and still had 100 miles left and I joked that I probably wasn;'t going to use much battery on the way down, he seemed impressed and was pretty good natured about the whole thing. Traded a couple other Q&As and said have a good day and went on with it.
  • Got flagged down by some hikers on the way down, one of them sprained an ankle pretty bad so we had some bed cargo down to the summit lake lot
  • I waved on a cyclist headed down who yelled "Thanks, cool truck" excitedly at me as he flew by.
  • Handful of thumbs up from other drivers coming up
  • Bunch of 'whoo hoos" and fistbumps and thumbs up from cyclists headed up, which impressed me because they all looked like they were going to die.
  • Stopped in Evergreen for lunch and sitting at the light right below the dam I look in the side view mirror and see a Canyon Red truck 3 cars behind me, HA. People must have thought a Rivian club was looking to fight a biker gang at the Little Bear.
  • 101 miles of range at the top of the mountain and 103 at home. Trip meter set for the return currently shows 0 Total Energy adn 0.0 mi/Kwh (trip meter pic below is at our stop in Evergreen)

Rivian R1T R1S Peak Bagging - R1T's first 14er -- to Top of Mount Evans/Blue Sky PXL_20220813_163812204.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Peak Bagging - R1T's first 14er -- to Top of Mount Evans/Blue Sky PXL_20220813_170954620.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Peak Bagging - R1T's first 14er -- to Top of Mount Evans/Blue Sky PXL_20220813_184758068.MP
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Love going up there with the goats and marmots!

The cyclists were probably appreciative of the one vehicle that wasn’t spewing exhaust directly into their lungs as they tried to climb that steep mountain road.

OP
OP

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
Love going up there with the goats and marmots!
And a group of small big horns. You can't avoid traffic in CO anywhere these days. That one on the back had just finished licking the Ford's tires.

Rivian R1T R1S Peak Bagging - R1T's first 14er -- to Top of Mount Evans/Blue Sky Screenshot_20220813-151532

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Oh man that Forest Green looks good! I keep changing my mind between that and El Cap for my R1S! I've got some time to decide...:crying:

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

CO is turning into prime Rivian territory. I saw three on my way back from Steamboat Springs last weekend.

Hoping to join the club in another year or two.

Sponsored

Mcdoo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo, expedition
Occupation
Engineer
Sounded like a good thread to share Peak Bagging.. Though mine isn't yet a 14er. ;)

Chumstick mountain is part of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. Just a quick campout at the summit. All forest service roads and used off-road Auto aired down to about 32PSI to give a sense of efficiency.

Rivian R1T R1S Peak Bagging - R1T's first 14er -- to Top of Mount Evans/Blue Sky 1660620722177

Rivian R1T R1S Peak Bagging - R1T's first 14er -- to Top of Mount Evans/Blue Sky IMG_1474.JPEG

Just to the left of the passenger mirror, the big one with mostly snow around the summit I believe is Glacier Peak. I parked just in front of the reference marker.

Rivian R1T R1S Peak Bagging - R1T's first 14er -- to Top of Mount Evans/Blue Sky IMG_1546.JPEG

Last edited:

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Nice! We were up there a few weeks ago and had almost an identical experience hah. Met someone with a reservation who had never seen one... Goat traffic jam...
Here's a few pics from my trip
Rivian R1T R1S Peak Bagging - R1T's first 14er -- to Top of Mount Evans/Blue Sky DSCF7267-Edit-Edit Lar
Rivian R1T R1S Peak Bagging - R1T's first 14er -- to Top of Mount Evans/Blue Sky IMG_7389 Lar

Branch

First Name
Branch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
CEO/Founder
Oh man that Forest Green looks good! I keep changing my mind between that and El Cap for my R1S! I've got some time to decide...:crying:
I've literally changed twice and mentally changed 324 times on my R1s from white to El Cap. I figure if they give me an option to get one sooner, I'm taking whatever.
Sponsored