First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
"Leg 4 began on a bad foot, and then we broke that foot. Just 62 miles from the start line, half the wheel studs on our Ram 1500 TRX support truck's left-rear sheared off at 80 mph, and the other three lug nuts were barely hanging on."

Yikes
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
"Leg 4 began on a bad foot, and then we broke that foot. Just 62 miles from the start line, half the wheel studs on our Ram 1500 TRX support truck's left-rear sheared off at 80 mph, and the other three lug nuts were barely hanging on."

Yikes
Sounds like someone over-torqued when changing the flat 90 mins earlier.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yep. Also sounds like the got really close to a bad ending to the trip for their TRX.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

For those like me who haven't yet read the full article(s), what were the Negatives experienced along the way?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

For those like me who haven't yet read the full article(s), what were the Negatives experienced along the way?
Sounds like there were a few required suspension repairs along the way that would be pretty costly for an average person, but they were also abusing these things so I'm not sure how much that would apply to normal use. A lot of the trails they were on where damage resulted are only attempted by heavily modified vehicles that wouldn't be loaded down with 4 people and a lot of gear.

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Part 2: We Drive the 2022 Rivian R1T Off-Road Across the Trans-America Trail - by MotorTrend 1631551119194

Looks like Rivian-friend Ben Moon and his dog met them at the end?

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Multiple issues with EA Chargers. [Hopefully they just need to work out the bugs on the handshake between EA and Rivian vehicles]

Also, sounds like their Dodge TRX "support" vehicle had some issues, and had to get bailed out by the R1T at least once.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
They sure beat the hell out of those trucks. Looks like off roading could be a very expensive hobby
Getting out of the TAT and some serious Moab wheeling with only a few tires and a tie rod down is nothing to sneeze at for a fully-stock, fully-loaded rig. It's not a cheap hobby, but this is a bit of a torture test.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
So is there not going to be a true 360 degree top view camera? Only a Tesla-like back and side one?
Nobody knows yet. there are certainly enough cameras though.

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
It's impressive that they drove the R1T's down Black Bear into Telluride. I did this years ago in a slightly lifted GMC Sonoma which scared the crap out of me! Needed a few drinks to calm my nerves when we got into town. It's legit and will test the driver and vehicle's limits!

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Bingo. This happened to my in my old FJ cruiser - took it in to the dealer for brake service, they overtorqued when replacing the wheels, I nearly lost one on the freeway at 75mph (all but two studs sheered off). Terrifying.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Is that... RJ in the passenger seat in Moab?

Rivian R1T R1S Part 2: We Drive the 2022 Rivian R1T Off-Road Across the Trans-America Trail - by MotorTrend 1631552527801