Sponsored

Parking Sensors, Cameras, and a Small Garage

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Looking for some feedback and opinions from current owners about how well the R1T's cameras and parking sensors would help with getting the truck into a small garage.

Looks like the R1T length is 217.1 inches. I think my garage length is only 220 inches from the back wall to the garage door. I want to double check that measurement with a laser measure.

I honestly think 2.9 inches is enough for me with the sensors, cameras, and bird's eye view, although I don't think the parking sensors and cameras give specific distances - just yellow and red lines indicating proximity? We do plan on backing into the garage due to current charging station placement as well as due to practicality and safety because the house is on a semi-busy street. I grew up in Chicago (in the city, not the suburbs) and have parallel parked into some crazy small spaces (says my wife anyway. I think it's typical skill for a city driver). However, my wife does thinks it's too close for her comfort. It's the main reason my second reservation is for an R1S - because the shorter length would fit in the garage more easily - but I think the R1T would be more practical. I was also looking at parking tape, rubber parking curbs, and garage wall padding to make her more comfortable. I know it'll be tight, but I think it's doable.

Feedback from current owners would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Murphy’s law will be in full play

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I too am in a tight garage in terms of length because I added closets along the rear wall several years ago when I had a 192" long car. Probably going to tear out the closet as it's a PITA getting it to the perfect spot each time. The sensors work, but usually go to a straight beep at about 4-5 inches, so too soon for my use as I need to be within an inch. I use the cameras too. I assume I'll get better at it the more I do it. Thinking about adding a tennis ball and possibly a parking stop on the floor. If you physically have the space, there are ways to make it easy enough. I just haven't decided which way to go yet. Probably all of the above for redundancy.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I love the cameras, but the sensors are too sensitive, in my opinion, when I park next to a car, the sides sensor goes off and shows red when I still have almost 3 feet of clearance.

Sponsored

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Cameras are very helpful. Personally, I turn off the bird’s eye view and use the side view from the camera. That lets me see the wheels more clearly. As others have said, the ultrasonic sensors are not that helpful although you do get used to them letting you know when they turn red if you’re in the right position. I also use a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling to know when I’m far enough forward.

I have about 6” from the rear of the truck to the garage door when I leave about 12” at the front (to be able to walk to the other side of the garage).

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
The cameras, despite being horribly low res, do help quite a bit with parking, but they don’t provide any guidance on proximity (at all, sensors only for this) or trajectory (for the front, rear does have this). A setup like BMW where all cameras can show proximity and trajectory would help even more with precise parking.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I think you will be fine. The overhead view is really nice but probably going to struggle a bit at the 1" resolution.

You'll find some other camera view (such as the front/rear view camera) and external point of reference (garage threshold, etc) that will give you the positioning that you need.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Mine's pretty tight as well. Make sure you're measuring not to the door itself, but the structural "ribs" on the garage door that project inward, as that will be the restrictive distance.

I use one of those motion activated laser beams, which allows me to know exactly where to stop, based on when the laser hits a certain point on my dashboard.

The truck has a tendency to jump forward or back a little bit when moving slowly as it's trying to figure out when to engage/disengage the automatic hold. Just be aware, given your very tight tolerances.

The cameras are useful, but there's some level of distortion that makes them a bit less useful at close-up views.

Last edited:

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
FYI on the birds-eye view, it's not designed for accuracy to the inch. It seems to exaggerate the size of the truck relative to the camera some.

Our garage is huge, but we have to park both the Rivian and our Telsa Model S in the same 2-car slot, so the Rivian ends up getting parked tight to the side of the garage. I have to use the cameras every time to park it (I try to get within 1" of the rubber seals with the camera). The birds-eye view makes it look like the mirror is hitting the garage every time, even though I'm often well away from it.

It's still insanely useful, though, and I use it almost every time I park anywhere. I'm finally getting comfortable enough pulling the truck into the garage that I can do it pretty quickly. (We also have a rear-facing garage, so I have to perform a 3-point turn every time.)

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I honestly think 2.9 inches is enough for me with the sensors, cameras, and bird's eye view, although I don't think the parking sensors and cameras give specific distances - just yellow and red lines indicating proximity?
I don't think the cameras are good enough, the sensors will try to stop you well before you get within 1.5". I expect I could make this work on a "one off" basis, but pulling into the garage 300 times a year, I expect I'd hit a wall at some point. Hopefully you'll do better. Maybe a parking stop for the tires at the right point.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Great feedback, everybody. Thank you! I'll have to discuss with my wife. I was looking at various aids once we get the position locked in like a parking curb:

Tape at the back wall:

Garage wall padding:

Laser Guides:

I was thinking 2 inches from the back wall and 0.9 inches from the garage door rib would be fine. It'd be the only car in a short 2 car garage. Good to know the sensors are a little too sensitive, though, and the Bird's eye is limited, but the other cameras could potentially compensate.

This would be for our second home in Hawaii and we're there intermittently, so we ironically would not have the ideal amount of practice and repetition for this to become routine. I'm thinking we'd both need some additional aids to get the placement just right. While I do think the R1S would be fine, I want the R1T out there because a truck is just more useful for hauling beach gear and other large household items when we do projects. I've had to borrow a friend's truck on island several times to haul large items and I'm not sure they'd fit in the R1S.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

With a laser measure, from the garage door rib to the back wall, the garage length came to 220-3/16", or 220.1875 inches.

R1T length is 217.1 inches

Final clearance: 3.0875 inches

If any other owners have some opinions on the feasibility and practicality of backing the R1T regularly to 2 inches of a garage wall, I'd appreciate it. We will most certainly need some visual and perhaps physical aids.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
With a laser measure, from the garage door rib to the back wall, the garage length came to 220-3/16", or 220.1875 inches.

R1T length is 217.1 inches

Final clearance: 3.0875 inches

If any other owners have some opinions on the feasibility and practicality of backing the R1T regularly to 2 inches of a garage wall, I'd appreciate it. We will most certainly need some visual and perhaps physical aids.
I like to park the Tesla within 1 inch of the garage door so I can walk around the back when it is in the garage. I just pick a horizontal line above the work bench, lined it up with the bottom of the window when lookin through the rear view mirror, I’m within 3/4 of an inch every time using that method.
Sponsored