Sponsored

Painting the Panoramic Glass For Heat Reduction

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
There is a gentleman on Facebook who didn't like the heat coming in from his "sunroof"...so he painted the exterior of it white.

Of all the possible solutions to roof heat, I'd have thought this would be at the bottom of the list. What say you?

Rivian R1T R1S Painting the Panoramic Glass For Heat Reduction Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 1.18.01 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Painting the Panoramic Glass For Heat Reduction 328425660_1318490425550103_1758515772229975885_n

Rivian R1T R1S Painting the Panoramic Glass For Heat Reduction 328250253_1864217967265304_4455995333204316365_n
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Imagine his surprise when he takes it out and realizes most of the heat is coming through the windshield.... ooops.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Thereā€™s yer signā€¦

pathfinder2

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 4runner, KS S18
Occupation
Software Design Engineer
Ceramic tint may have been better option...? He already hates the glass roof so maybe for him even if it doesn't help temperature then maybe it works for other reasons...

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

kupe

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subarus
If he was going to do give his truck a tacky appearance like that, he should have at least considered using vinyl wrap so that it could be removed at a later time.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Imagine his surprise when he takes it out and realizes most of the heat is coming through the windshield.... ooops.
No worries, he can paint that too.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The roof has not been an issue for me.

If you REALLY don't want it, just cover it with vinyl. Paint seems crazy.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Yep. Thats why I put a clear tint on my front windscreen, and didn't touch the roof. Hard to say for sure it has worked until it heats up again.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
It's like bringing sand to the beach, shoveling in a snowstorm, knife at a gunfight.

donguanella

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S + X Refresh
Spectra Photosync on windows + windshield + sunroof and this problem is elegantly solved.

It's been my recipe living in SoCal for the past 10 years and can't recommend it enough.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

In this age of high quality wraps, this is just stupid to me.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
While I have seen this claim made before and question it based on personal experience, a separate issue is where does the heat come in compared to the cooling and the relative position of our bodies. There is noticeable heat radiating from the glass roof onto the top my bald head, especially when driving in slow traffic or parked in the sun. There may be more overall heat coming in from the windshield, but I don't feel it because the AC is blowing from the same direction. Maybe on the R2 we will get head air vents.

As for the fix he came up with, I certainly don't like the look or the permanency, but I'm guessing he was already setup for and had lots of experience with automotive painting, but no similar experience or setup for vinyl. Personally, I am just waiting for summer to figure out who makes the best fitting internal cover. I feel like the people who think some of us are crazy for complaining about the heat coming through the glass roof are the same ones who complained about Rivian's lack of a snow mode. Hopefully Rivian is able to do more extensive testing in the varied climates around the country before releasing the R2.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

While I have seen this claim made before and question it based on personal experience, a separate issue is where does the heat come in compared to the cooling and the relative position of our bodies. There is noticeable heat radiating from the glass roof onto the top my bald head, especially when driving in slow traffic or parked in the sun. There may be more overall heat coming in from the windshield, but I don't feel it because the AC is blowing from the same direction. Maybe on the R2 we will get head air vents.

As for the fix he came up with, I certainly don't like the look or the permanency, but I'm guessing he was already setup for and had lots of experience with automotive painting, but no similar experience or setup for vinyl. Personally, I am just waiting for summer to figure out who makes the best fitting internal cover. I feel like the people who think some of us are crazy for complaining about the heat coming through the glass roof are the same ones who complained about Rivian's lack of a snow mode. Hopefully Rivian is able to do more extensive testing in the varied climates around the country before releasing the R2.
Its all been based on personal experience as well. I for example was in Southern Utah in April sitting at a charger (a slow one at that) and I was cooking in the truck even with the AC on. I had previously thought (even claimed) it was from the roof but as soon as I put a reflective screen in the windshield it got a whole lot more comfortable. In my opinion the sun comes through the windshield heats up the dash significantly which is the primary source of solar heating in the truck depending on the sun location.

That said of course some heat is coming through the roof, while it is tinted it's obviously still glass so not surprising on a sunny day you would feel some heat on your head it just isn't the largest factor, but again that is my opinion.
Sponsored