Sponsored

Paint: Can someone please explain how Rivian can justify charging $1,500/$2,500 for select colors?

Robot

First Name
Alo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Nissan Rogue, '09 Mariner Hybrid
Occupation
RN
When I configured on launch day, I selected Compass Yellow (although it wasn’t the ideal shade of yellow that I inicially planned), but the more I think about it, the more that seems not worth that spike in price. I’ve had the internal arguments for/against; and I’m leaning towards just selecting a standard. I get that an aftermarket job will not cover as fully, but that now feels like not a good enough reason. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Mathmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Audi Q5, soon an R1T
When I configured on launch day, I selected Compass Yellow (although it wasn’t the ideal shade of yellow that I inicially planned), but the more I think about it, the more that seems not worth that spike in price. I’ve had the internal arguments for/against; and I’m leaning towards just selecting a standard. I get that an aftermarket job will not cover as fully, but that now feels like not a good enough reason. Thoughts?
You can find some discussion on this here:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/somewhat-disappointing-colors-cost-extra.812/

Other manufacturers upcharge for certain colors of paint, not surprising to me Rivian would follow suit.

Range Rover has some paints you can cough up $23.5k for....extreme, but still.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It's very simple. Buyers are willing to pay for it. Prices are set by what buyers are willing to pay. For example, consumers pay a premium for beer that contains less barley and hops than cheaper beer.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
$2500 would go a long way toward getting a wrap in whatever color you desire. Maybe not an optimal scenario, but definitely an option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I had a thought yesterday as I past my friend's body shop. What if I were to get the R1T in white or silver, have him remove all the glass and trim, prep and paint it whatever color I really wanted. I will have to find out the price. I've had other cars done and it was not that prohibitive in cost. The paint jobs always held up as if it was factory and, other than color, you could not see any imperfections. Possibly another avenue to pursue.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

First Name
Alo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
$2500 would go a long way toward getting a wrap in whatever color you desire. Mayne not an optimal scenario, but definitely an option.
That’s what I was considering. Thanks.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

First Name
Alo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
I had a thought yesterday as I past my friend's body shop. What if I were to get the R1T in white or silver, have him remove all the glass and trim, prep and paint it whatever color I really wanted. I will have to find out the price. I've had other cars done and it was not that prohibitive in cost. The paint jobs always held up as if it was factory and, other than color, you could not see any imperfections. Possibly another avenue to pursue.
Absolutely.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I personally wouldn't dare to repaint a brand new car, no way it will turn out as well as oem paint quality. That being said, I'm very tempted to switch from launch green to white, and get a wrap. Since I plan on taking this on trails, and even easy trails have brush and branches that will scratch your paint, having a wrap to protect the factory paint would be nice, besides making it the color you want as well.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The other point about white is it's the only non-metallic paint in Rivian's lineup of exterior colors and, as such, white will be the easiest color to repair and repaint before you get a wrap.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

First Name
Alo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
I personally wouldn't dare to repaint a brand new car, no way it will turn out as well as oem paint quality. That being said, I'm very tempted to switch from launch green to white, and get a wrap. Since I plan on taking this on trails, and even easy trails have brush and branches that will scratch your paint, having a wrap to protect the factory paint would be nice, besides making it the color you want as well.
I like the idea and it’s been suggested by a few others. Definitely going to look into it as the date approaches. Thanks.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Digressing a bit here, but for someone who knows nothing about wraps, I'm curious. I am more interested in the protection aspect of the paint, than the being able to have it look however I want. Are there clear wraps that still provide protection? What ballpark costs should I be expecting for a complete wrap? Trying to weigh the costs of picking a color I want and wrapping with with a clear (maybe the better looking option?) or, like mentioned above, going with white to save money and then going with a colored wrap.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
I'm sorry but thats just asinine. Unless you have high quality under market price labor (which you might) then all you're doing is disassembling a new car - where you might not be able to get replacement pieces right away, deal with the NVH, diminished resale value and potentially warranty issues. Just get a wrap if you want a diff color.

I think yellow and green cost more because they dont want the market flooded with odd, difficult to resell combos.

Digressing a bit here, but for someone who knows nothing about wraps, I'm curious. I am more interested in the protection aspect of the paint, than the being able to have it look however I want. Are there clear wraps that still provide protection? What ballpark costs should I be expecting for a complete wrap? Trying to weigh the costs of picking a color I want and wrapping with with a clear (maybe the better looking option?) or, like mentioned above, going with white to save money and then going with a colored wrap.
My 911 was completely wrapped in Xpel clear by the previous owner and was around 6k. Amazing protection, just hose the car down and it looks professionally detailed. its Xpel. It's crystal clear, self heals and to me is worth the money on a 160k 911. I dont know if I'd spend 6-8K for the rivian, for clear. I'd consider a wrap in a diff color though for 3-4k.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I'm just going to ignore this thread. That is much easier than getting fired up with all of this nonsense.

Mathmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Audi Q5, soon an R1T
Yes you have several options from a few manufacturers. What you are looking for is PPF (paint protection film), and it actually provides more protection for the paint than a vinyl wrap would as its thicker and developed to protect as opposed to changing color.

Xpel, suntek, 3M are 3 manufacturers I know of, I'm sure there are others. These three all make ppf that is clear and high gloss, or that gives your car a matte/satin looking finish. You can go anywhere from just a clear bra option that protects your front bumper to having the whole car wrapped to protect every surface of paint. Clear bras should be a few hundred bucks, a full car ppf will be 4-8k depending on the installer and location.

I do see people commenting that a vinyl color change wrap costs less than the ppf wrap, however the installer I used for ppf actually charged the same for each option. Im confident they had a much higher margin on the vinyl as its easier to install and I believe the materials cost less than ppf.

Another thing to keep in mind with a color changing wrap is they typically only wrap the outside of the vehicle, so when you open your doors, you'll see the underlying paint color. With a clear ppf you wouldn't have that.
Sponsored