First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Occupation
Self
Finally received my email to take me through the process to purchase truck and set up delivery. Finished signing, paying and shocked they were open to delivering my truck tomorrow. I chose Friday instead, mid day. Very excited. Got back hom and another email and a call from my guide that they cancelled my delivery. Can’t update me on delivery until maybe end of this week. Can’t give me a timeline. Guide actually said “well that will give you time to finish paperwork and payment. I had to inform her that I paid for the truck in full 6 hours ago. Wouldn’t she know that in order to have been given a confirmation and delivery date, and that she had to call to cancel it, that she would have known all my paperwork was done and the truck was paid for? I asked “it won’t be a month will it”? Of course nothing, no commitment on a timeline. I paid for the truck today and they pulled the rug from under me 6 hours later.
This really has been a very chaotic experience all the way around. I finally thought it was over and I’d be driving my truck on Friday. Now no idea. Really bad.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
wow. The LA deliveries are a total mess. Sorry to hear that.

When this has happened to other people it is because they found a problem or imperfection with the truck that they need to fix before they deliver to you - but they are supposed to be doing that at the service center before they take your money of course.

Or of course it could be something else entirely.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
It took 9 days to get my truck delivered from when the 8 step paperwork opened up. It was super frustrating since I was fully paid up on day 2, and they basically got a free loan from me. The lack of transparency was the most obnoxious part, I didn’t get to schedule my delivery date until day 8 and I was not able to get any status updates in between.

It will work out fine for you, but be prepared to get super annoyed in between. My wife was livid about it all as well and I had to also play referee, your situation may vary. 😂

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sounds like when I bought my Tesla 3.5 years ago. I was assigned four different people that were supposed to be my sole point of contact.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Not the first person to express irritation about "owning" a vehicle you don't yet own. Rivian better get the root cause(s) sorted out quickly or I suspect lawyers will be circling the boat soon.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Not the first person to express irritation about "owning" a vehicle you don't yet own. Rivian better get the root cause(s) sorted out quickly or I suspect lawyers will be circling the boat soon.
It's wild because this is almost the complete opposite of what happens at a dealership (at least when you finance). You do your down payment, get loan approval, and drive off - at some point unbeknownst to you your lender gets them their funds. But you definitely have the car before they have all their cash.

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
Man I try not to be a dick on these forums but you guys come off like a bunch of Karens. A free 1 week loan? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Citibeach

Citibeach

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Occupation
Self
Thanks for the replies. Yea, the guide that is assigned to me seems frustrated herself, and stressed out, as I think all she’s doing is putting out fires. Really stupid though to not have the truck ready to go before they Finalize the deal with me, only 6 hours later to pull the plug. Stupid that they can’t even give me a window. Nothing, so I’m back to square one, or at least that’s the way it feels. So glad I sold the stock on the second day of going public. This company isn’t running like I was hoping.

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

I have also paid my down payment today before my Sat delivery. I was so eager to finish my 8 steps that I finished that payment step and gave them my routing/account number. In my head I kinda thought it would wait for delivery day before pulling the funds. I'm betting it said otherwise but I didn't read it 😅. Not a big deal in my case but I can see how you'd be frustrated.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
It's wild because this is almost the complete opposite of what happens at a dealership (at least when you finance). You do your down payment, get loan approval, and drive off - at some point unbeknownst to you your lender gets them their funds. But you definitely have the car before they have all their cash.
My last two new car buys (BMW) required the check upfront. I still recall when I just joined the military oh so long ago (color paint was still a new thing...) and had sudden need of a new car. Caught a ride downtown to the Honda dealer (wife's choice), walked on the lot and picked out the prettiest one, walked inside to the dealer, told him where I worked and asked him how long it'd take to get the car, and he handed me the keys and told me to bring the check back once I had the loan secured. It was rather nice.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I refused to send payment, get insurance or have the bank send payment until I had a confirmed delivery date. Rivian was totally fine with that.

The issue here is they open the 8 steps and we all get excited and go through it as fast as possible thinking that will get you your truck faster, it won’t. The truck will be ready when it’s ready and available.

Only advantage to paying earlier is you can be sure when it is ready it will be delivered and you won’t have to hustle to finish the steps in the day or two before delivery.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

My last two new car buys (BMW) required the check upfront. I still recall when I just joined the military oh so long ago (color paint was still a new thing...) and had sudden need of a new car. Caught a ride downtown to the Honda dealer (wife's choice), walked on the lot and picked out the prettiest one, walked inside to the dealer, told him where I worked and asked him how long it'd take to get the car, and he handed me the keys and told me to bring the check back once I had the loan secured. It was rather nice.
Interesting - I last bought new in 2020 (subaru) and it was as it had always been. get the loan secured, and drive away.

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
I bought two EVs last year and both times the dealerships made me wait a few days to pick it up/have it delivered.

You have been waiting years. You are now days or weeks from owning perhaps the most consequential and exciting truck of our lifetime. We are the luckiest people in the automotive world right now! Enjoy it! Drink a beer. Smoke something good. Watch some out-of-spec youtubes. Tranquillo.

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
Seems to be to many reports of people completing the 8 steps then delivery getting canceled. Rivian needs to update the process and ensure that the local service center has completed the inspection before having customer start 8-steps.
Sponsored