howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Citroen 2cv6, Tesla Model 3, Sprinter van, BMW x5
Occupation
pain in the ass
Clubs

Thanks for putting that video together! That will help many people.

I think most of us that are concerned about it live in places with some steeper roads and the real worry is going downhill on ice and trying to stop or take a corner. I know in MN you get the ice part (I've visited in February🥶), but in the mountains here we get snow storm after snow storm and the plows and traffic going over that packed snow every day turn it into packed ice that is like concrete and stays that way until spring. When that happens on a hill it gets very sketchy very quick if you even tap your brakes in the wrong spot.

Most of us are used to handling that in an ICE vehicle, but the measures you take in an ICE truck are not the same as an EV with pretty strong regen braking as soon as you slightly lift off the accelerator. That alone is enough to send the truck sliding on some steep roads. I don't have my truck yet but most feel like being able to adjust or turn off the regen braking would probably do the trick, allowing for the same tactics we would use in an ICE vehicle on ice.
I own a 2500 Silverado HD diesel and driving in the mountains can be dicey. Usually happens while driving downhill at Mammoth mountain after a day of snowboarding. If I have the Allison in a low gear let off the throttle it’s a lot like EV regen. I have a lot of compression to slow the vehicle down and I have slid numerous times. So turning off the regen is probably number one if you’re driving on icy roads downhill.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I own a 2500 Silverado HD diesel and driving in the mountains can be dicey. Usually happens while driving downhill at Mammoth mountain after a day of snowboarding. If I have the Allison in a low gear let off the throttle it’s a lot like EV regen. I have a lot of compression to slow the vehicle down and I have slid numerous times. So turning off the regen is probably number one if you’re driving on icy roads downhill.
Definitely agree with that. Downshifting and engine braking does feel a lot like regen. I think giving people the option to turn that down or off and adding a snow mode with slightly more front wheel drive than rear and adjusted traction control would make everyone happy. It will still require some changed behaviors on our part, which I'm always up for... Every vehicle handles different.