John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
All,

I don't have my Rivian yet though I am on step 6 of 8! I was wondering are there any built in Overlanding tools in the infotainment system for the R1T? If so what are they and do you know if Rivian is planning for future tools. Would be kind of nice if they had a dev blog or something.
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Not yet. Rivian folks have acknowledged that this would be cool and have implied they are doing work in this direction, but I'm not aware of any specifics.

As of today, a phone/iPad mount and something like Gaia GPS is your best bet.

(I know this is futile, but let's not make this a CarPlay thread...)

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Not yet. Rivian folks have acknowledged that this would be cool and have implied they are doing work in this direction, but I'm not aware of any specifics.

As of today, a phone/iPad mount and something like Gaia GPS is your best bet.

(I know this is futile, but let's not make this a CarPlay thread...)
So in the mean time I should probably get a Garmin Overlander (or something similar) until Rivian catches up

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
All,

I don't have my Rivian yet though I am on step 6 of 8! I was wondering are there any built in Overlanding tools in the infotainment system for the R1T? If so what are they and do you know if Rivian is planning for future tools. Would be kind of nice if they had a dev blog or something.
They have mentioned (informally through Reddit) that one idea/vision they have is for a crowd/owner sourced off roading maps/POI feature, but that's it. Garmin uses the same underlying map/data source, so there's at least that. Also entirely possible that anything developed there is part of the Membership subscription (especially if it's as easy as just buying the same data set that Garmin does). No way to say for sure at this point.

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
They have mentioned (informally through Reddit) that one idea/vision they have is for a crowd/owner sourced off roading maps/POI feature, but that's it. Garmin uses the same underlying map/data source, so there's at least that. Also entirely possible that anything developed there is part of the Membership subscription (especially if it's as easy as just buying the same data set that Garmin does). No way to say for sure at this point.
I would be interested to know if they will build in the Overlanding tools or at least allow apps from our phone or a laptop to interact with the system. Also would like to have the ability to at least upload GPS Tracks... I don't know just super excited that I am actually getting mine that my mind is running a million miles an hour with all the possibilities.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I would be interested to know if they will build in the Overlanding tools or at least allow apps from our phone or a laptop to interact with the system. Also would like to have the ability to at least upload GPS Tracks... I don't know just super excited that I am actually getting mine that my mind is running a million miles an hour with all the possibilities.
I'm fairly confident they will strive to add off road mapping functionality, but would not expect it to come in the form of direct interaction from your phone or laptop. Their philosophy is an integrated one or not at all.

I think that will be a ways off though, and most people are going to run their own preferred off road mapping apps in a secondary screen, like they do in most any vehicle. Even if you could have it projected on the main screen, there is value in having in separate, which is why a lot of people will ram mount multiple devices vs. just switching screens on one.
Sponsored