Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I rigged up my awning today to be serviceable. The towers I made for the rear need some reinforcement before taking the truck on the road this way, but it feels pretty solid, except for how much the rack rails themselves flex. Should be a lot better once the tent is on it.

Truck has some issues that service needs to address before I drive it again.

Rivian R1T R1S Overland Systems 270 degree awning installed PXL_20220521_195132611

Rivian R1T R1S Overland Systems 270 degree awning installed PXL_20220521_195743640
Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Would love to see a pic or two of what you did for the towers.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Would love to see a pic or two of what you did for the towers.
Couple lengths of 4040 extrusion. Plan is to put an angled piece to give it a lot more strength, but it already seems more sturdy than the rack rail itself.

The nice part is the awning is long enough to hit the rail on the top of the cabin as well. Three points of contact make it pretty solid.

Rivian R1T R1S Overland Systems 270 degree awning installed PXL_20220521_220700211

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
Couple lengths of 4040 extrusion. Plan is to put an angled piece to give it a lot more strength, but it already seems more sturdy than the rack rail itself.

The nice part is the awning is long enough to hit the rail on the top of the cabin as well. Three points of contact make it pretty solid.

PXL_20220521_220700211.jpg
Nice solution. Was going to weld something up, but this is easier. Good to know that the diagonal isn't absolutely necessary. The awning provides a lot of that stability. Spreading the load over the crossbars more (fore/aft) would likely help quite a bit. I can't tell if the track is just plastic, or if there's a metal lip.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Nice solution. Was going to weld something up, but this is easier. Good to know that the diagonal isn't absolutely necessary. The awning provides a lot of that stability. Spreading the load over the crossbars more (fore/aft) would likely help quite a bit. I can't tell if the track is just plastic, or if there's a metal lip.
The entire top half of crossbar rails slots are all one extrusion, the inner part is just coated with something black.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Overland Systems 270 degree awning installed PXL_20220522_170102696

This side support feels like total overkill.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I don’t see a reason for the brace when you have gussets at the connection. I’d be comfortable running it without.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
The entire top half of crossbar rails slots are all one extrusion, the inner part is just coated with something black.
I couldn't tell if it's a plastic insert vs. a coating, but I didn't try disassembling yet to figure that out.

PXL_20220522_170102696.jpg

This side support feels like total overkill.
Agreed. Not enough triangulation in that support to be of much benefit. With the width of the footprint of those two right angle brackets it seems pretty good.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I couldn't tell if it's a plastic insert vs. a coating, but I didn't try disassembling yet to figure that out.

Agreed. Not enough triangulation in that support to be of much benefit. With the width of the footprint of those two right angle brackets it seems pretty good.
I could probably go a little wider but I don't want to go through the effort of putting the tent on right now.

Sponsored

IrishDawg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; Model 3 DM; R1T awaiting delivery
Occupation
Lawyer
How's the 1Up working for you on the roof? That's my plan for carrying my lighter bikes . . .

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

How's the 1Up working for you on the roof? That's my plan for carrying my lighter bikes . . .
It's a little awkward to use up there, even with the gear tunnel door. Haven't driven with a bike in it yet. Was going to over the weekend but my truck has just been sitting because of a hub issue.

IrishDawg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; Model 3 DM; R1T awaiting delivery
Occupation
Lawyer
It's a little awkward to use up there, even with the gear tunnel door. Haven't driven with a bike in it yet. Was going to over the weekend but my truck has just been sitting because of a hub issue.
Love that rack, but it's hard to use on top (I have two on top of my XC90 plus a 3X 1Up hitch mount). I'm not too proud to admit that I can't get my MTB up there without a spotter!

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

In anticipation of Rivian not getting my truck service done before our vacation next week I decided to take time to get everything fit up on the R1S. Had to weld up some new brackets to push the awning up a solid 8-9 inches higher so the liftgate could open. Seems to fit okay. Now I need to close it all back up and finish up the brackets.

FYI, the tent did not fit through my 7' garage door without having to drop the pressure down in the tires significantly, and taking the ladder off.

Rivian R1T R1S Overland Systems 270 degree awning installed PXL_20230603_163153592

Rivian R1T R1S Overland Systems 270 degree awning installed PXL_20230603_161653707

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
In anticipation of Rivian not getting my truck service done before our vacation next week I decided to take time to get everything fit up on the R1S. Had to weld up some new brackets to push the awning up a solid 8-9 inches higher so the liftgate could open. Seems to fit okay. Now I need to close it all back up and finish up the brackets.

FYI, the tent did not fit through my 7' garage door without having to drop the pressure down in the tires significantly, and taking the ladder off.

PXL_20230603_163153592.jpg

PXL_20230603_161653707.jpg
Is the awning higher than the tent when everything is closed up?
Sponsored