OP
OP
aAlpine

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Video was re-uploaded, with a bit of additional content/commentary at the end. Original post updated.
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This appears to be shot in Bay City, MI. It's definitely one of the best close-ups I've seen to date. I've yet to see one on the road around here despite living only a mile from Rivian's headquarters.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I have to say that this was an awesome job of knowing what he was looking at and capturing some really outstanding footage. He put in a great deal of time, energy and creativity to come away with one of the most detailed sets of videos and closeups I've seen to date.

As some of you have noted, I'm not sure anything stands out as being there to open the tailgate. Perhaps the same set of buttons that handle the tonneau cover also provides some method for opening the tailgate. At this rate, we may not find out until June...or July....

Last edited:

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Ok. Saw the video and the first thing I noticed. Why did they park like a-holes and sort of block the other spot!?!?!
If it was a ICE vehicle we would be pissed because they are blocking a spot they really don't use. How should we feel when it is a BEV vehicle? ;)

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

You could certainly be right.

I think you’d want more control than a garage door has, though, since there will be frequent times when you want it partially open.

My prediction is one to open, one to close, press both simultaneously to drop the tailgate.

Hopefully we find out soon!
I would like to see more control on the tonneau cover to easily open it partially. Of course you could do it with one but would prefer two. Half press and hold opens/closes until you let go and a quick full press auto open/closes. Similar to auto open/close windows.

Sponsored

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Cool video. Looks like there are 4 buttons on the bed rails, two near the front of the bed on either side and two on the back of the bed, drivers side. Assuming two to open/close the tonneau. Never noticed buttons by the front of the bed before. Wonder which one opens the tailgate. Would expect three by the tailgate (tonneau open/close & tailgate)

Are you guys calling the silver pieces the buttons? Those look like the mounting brackets for the rails to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Are you guys calling the silver pieces the buttons? Those look like the mounting brackets for the rails to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
Look between the forward-most silver rail mount and the cab and you'll see a square cutout that might be a button. One of each side of the bed. I think people are guessing that's to open the gear tunnel... Although I would have thought that button would be closer to the tunnel, rather than in the middle of the space between the cab and crossbar mount.

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Look between the forward-most silver rail mount and the cab and you'll see a square cutout that might be a button. One of each side of the bed. I think people are guessing that's to open the gear tunnel... Although I would have thought that button would be closer to the tunnel, rather than in the middle of the space between the cab and crossbar mount.
Got it! I hadn't looked close enough at one of the still photos and only watched the video. I can see them after look at the overhead still. Thanks!

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
lol he was so brazen getting footage of everything but the charge rate

Sponsored

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Anyone notice how the light bar wasn't indicating a green state of charge during the charging session? I wonder if that feature has been scrapped.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Although I would have thought that button would be closer to the tunnel, rather than in the middle of the space between the cab and crossbar mount.
IDK, the positioning of the gear tunnel button looks good to me. You don’t want to have to stand in front of the gear tunnel opening while opening it and have the door hit your legs. The button positioning lets you stand back away from the gear tunnel when opening it.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Anyone notice how the light bar wasn't indicating a green state of charge during the charging session? I wonder if that feature has been scrapped.
This has come up before based on an earlier picture. The hope is that there is a setting that allows you to decide to show it or not.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
The website still shows it as a feature, and I still want to believe the website is correct, but I guess we'll find out.
Sponsored