Sponsored

OutofSpec at Magna: Deep dive into Magnas powertrain development

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Lots to unpack here, honestly I watched it 1.75x speed and found it very interesting from a mechanical/engineering standpoint.

Couple of notes, permanent magnet motors seem to be the main choice for manufacturers, but more are starting to look at a clutch disconnect similar to what rivian has done with its rear axles to improve efficiency.

Illustrates just how much space is saved packaging wise by converting a typical ICE vehicle over to an EV power train.

The soundbooth they use for testing noise from gears/transfer cases/differentials is super neat.

The CNC's and measuring devices they have at their disposal, again, two thumbs up. My father would get a hard on walking through those rooms.

The electric dyno they have is impressive. They have an inverter system that can simulate any pack size/dynamics. While testing the motors, they can recapture the energy used to test motors as well as waste heat for use elsewhere within the building.

And More! haha

Sponsored

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I really wish Kyle hadn't jumped the line and paid pre-march prices.. It's ruined all his videos for me.