Sponsored

"Out the door" fees and incentives by State

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
If you live in an RTA area the tabs are going to be more like $750-$800 per year. There is also a yearly fee for electric cars to make up for lost gas tax revenue in there.
Thanks. I forgot about the new hybrid/BEV/alternative fuel vehicle tax.

Part of me thinks it is ok (we are using a service, i.e. roads, and should pay for it. Ideally it would be based on #of miles driven but I understand the difficulties in doing that). The other part of me doesn't like that we are also providing a benefit (less pollution) and don't get recognized for it. Gets into that the cost of gasoline doesn't reflect the real cost/externalities like pollution. But this is way off topic of this thread.
Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
OP asked about incentives too.

For California it can be tricky to calculate.

$2,000 CVRP? Rivian not listed as eligible yet:
https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligible-vehicles

$1,500 Clean Fuel Reward? Don't know. Rivian not yet listed:
https://cleanfuelreward.com/find-your-ev/electric-car-dealers

$1,000 to $1,500 Vehicle retirement credit? Not for me; don't have clunker to abandon:
https://bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Consumer_Assistance_Program/CAP_Vehicle_Retirement_Program

$9,500 Clean Cars for All? Nope, not for me; it's a low-income program:
https://www.baaqmd.gov/funding-and-incentives/residents/clean-cars-for-all/program-overview

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Thanks. I forgot about the new hybrid/BEV/alternative fuel vehicle tax.

Part of me thinks it is ok (we are using a service, i.e. roads, and should pay for it. Ideally it would be based on #of miles driven but I understand the difficulties in doing that). The other part of me doesn't like that we are also providing a benefit (less pollution) and don't get recognized for it. Gets into that the cost of gasoline doesn't reflect the real cost/externalities like pollution. But this is way off topic of this thread.
I think it should be based on watts used - the computers could keep track of that for everyone and generate a report for taxing purposes. Drive a lightweight efficient EV carefully? ... pay little. Hold the Tank Turn Tournament Trophy ten years straight (you go, you) ... pay a little more.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I think it should be based on watts used - the computers could keep track of that for everyone and generate a report for taxing purposes. Drive a lightweight efficient EV carefully? ... pay little. Hold the Tank Turn Tournament Trophy ten years straight (you go, you) ... pay a little more.
Although it would be easy to track, that just replicates one of the issues with the gas tax. If you get a more effecient vehicle, you end up paying less for your useage of the same mile of road. In an ideal world, it would be a function of miles traveled in that state/county/city and the weight of your vehicle. To my knowledge there is no real practical way of doing that at this time that doesn't require personal tracking via gps or some other means.

I believe Hawaii is the only state that "taxes" you based on miles driven. Yearly required inspections look at your odometer and it is a pretty safe bet that any miles add from the previous year were done in Hawaii.

Now I've officially thread jacked...:bandit:

SwifferPNW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Mazda 3, '21 Zero SR/F
If you live in an RTA area the tabs are going to be more like $750-$800 per year. There is also a yearly fee for electric cars to make up for lost gas tax revenue in there.
Don't know about RTA, but I'm up in Skagit, and I pay $150 ( Electric Vehicle Registration Renewal )+ $75 ( Transportation Electrification ) just because I ride an electric motorcycle during the summer...

Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
@CarterGee You think you will get your truck before Oct 31 like they told you?

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
No Sales tax is nice...I envy my Oregon neighbors...

This is what I am book keeping for myself:
Washington State (assuming $80k sale price)
Sales Tax (10.1%, varies by county) - $8,080
Title & Plates - $113
Registration (varies by county and even municipality) - $300 (a pure guess based on the renewal of my current car)
Doc Fee - $150
Not to burst bubbles, but as a Tesla X driver...
  1. You get the pay an additional $225 fee for the privilege of driving an EV in the great Green state of WA.
  2. You will also have a vehicle weight tax (the heavier, the more ya pay), mine is $45.
  3. If you live in the RTA, be braced for $1500-$2000 per year (my last one was $1,782) during your tab renewal.
I think your Title and Plates is close, when I got my Tesla X they were like $160 or something if I recall.

I hope they wave the Doc Fee... I hate that crap...

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Not to burst bubbles, but as a Tesla X driver...
  1. You get the pay an additional $225 fee for the privilege of driving an EV in the great Green state of WA.
  2. You will also have a vehicle weight tax (the heavier, the more ya pay), mine is $45.
  3. If you live in the RTA, be braced for $1500-$2000 per year (my last one was $1,782) during your tab renewal.
I think your Title and Plates is close, when I got my Tesla X they were like $160 or something if I recall.

I hope they wave the Doc Fee... I hate that crap...
$1,782 for your RTA?
I thought it was it 1.1% of depreciated value. If so, they are valuing your Model X at $162,000! Or is the $1,782 inclusive of all fees?

I guess I should have paid more attention to I-976

Edit:
A little more digging. The R1T may be except from from the RTA tax:
per WAC 308-57-140:
The following vehicles are exempt from RTA excise taxes imposed in chapter 81.104 RCW:
(1) Vehicles with tax code 95 (vehicles taxed as personal property, such as mobile homes);
(2) Vehicles with the following use classes:
TRK (if over 6,000 pounds scale weight and 12,000 pounds or less gross weight),
Where per WAC 308-96A-099, TRK is defined as:

trktruckMotor vehicle is a personal use truck, with a declared gross weight of twelve thousand pounds or less. Trucks used for business or commercial purposes do not qualify for the TRK use class.

On a $80,000 R1T, that is almost $5,000 over 7 years. Might be enough to convince my wife to change back from an R1S...

Last edited:

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
$1,782 for your RTA?
I thought it was it 1.1% of depreciated value. If so, they are valuing your Model X at $162,000! Or is the $1,782 inclusive of all fees?
Good call out, yes, that was all in. I know, each November to be braced for a full body waxing sensation.

Keep in mind, they tax you based on what the state thinks your vehicle is worth... which, can be good... or can suck pretty hard.

I will note, I have no problem paying the RTA, I think, in the end, the goal is a noble one (if OMG $$$) that will (and is) yielding dividends.

I just wish our state embraced EV's and going green as much as other states, the sales tax exemption dollar amount cut off here is laughably low.

per WAC 308-57-140:

(1) Vehicles with tax code 95 (vehicles taxed as personal property, such as mobile homes);
(2) Vehicles with the following use classes:
TRK (if over 6,000 pounds scale weight and 12,000 pounds or less gross weight),

trktruckMotor vehicle is a personal use truck, with a declared gross weight of twelve thousand pounds or less. Trucks used for business or commercial purposes do not qualify for the TRK use class.

On a $80,000 R1T, that is almost $5,000 over 7 years. Might be enough to convince my wife to change back from an R1S...
Ooooooh... nice find.

I give is a year or two before they figure that one out and exclude EV Trucks. :p

OP
OP
OEVA

OEVA

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oeva.org
Vehicles
many
$1,782 for your RTA?

I guess I should have paid more attention to I-976

Edit:
per WAC 308-57-140:

The EPA classification:
Rivian R1T R1S "Out the door" fees and incentives by State 1633655929039

But at >6,000 lbs, it should be excluded as a "Medium electric truck"
Rivian R1T R1S "Out the door" fees and incentives by State 1633656425831

Rivian gets to figure out how their vehicles are viewed and categorized in all 50 States and the various counties, cities or other tax/fee jurisdictions within them before they can start selling them in those markets.

It looks to be exempt from the RTA due to it's curb weight.

WA Incentives:
I don't think it was addressed above, but the R1T and R1S will not be eligible for the sales tax exemption due to price

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I just wish our state embraced EV's and going green as much as other states, the sales tax exemption dollar amount cut off here is laughably low.
Yeah, WA is pretty embarrassing for a “green” State and how we incentivize EVs.

regarding the mileage based tax. both the FHWA and several States (including WSDOT) have been doing pilot studies of on how to approach the subject. There are some regressive tax issues with it, but it’s promising. Better than installing a toll every 5 feet.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

The EPA classification:
1633655929039.png

But at >6,000 lbs, it should be excluded as a "Medium electric truck"
1633656425831.png

Rivian gets to figure out how their vehicles are viewed and categorized in all 50 States and the various counties, cities or other tax/fee jurisdictions within them before they can start selling them in those markets.

It looks to be exempt from the RTA due to it's curb weight.

WA Incentives:
I don't think it was addressed above, but the R1T and R1S will not be eligible for the sales tax exemption due to price
If that 6000lb exemption holds true, it would definitely shift the needle toward an R1T or Lightning over the R1S I have preordered. Between sales tax (10.1%) and ST3/RTA tax (cumulatively 7.5% of the vehicle’s MSRP over 10 years), and the cost of ANY new vehicle add up quickly.

Thinking another way, if the gross vehicle weight is close then you could “push” yourself over the 6000lb hump by upgrading to extended range (Lightning) or max pack (R1T). Those $7500-10,000 upgrades would pay for themselves with the RTA savings. Wow.

fromawayfarm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Kona EV
Thought I would jump in and make you all feel better about the fees you are paying!

For an $80,000 "MSRP" here is the Maine breakdown...
Sales Tax $4,400 (5.5%)
Excise Tax $1,920 (This is an annual thing! See below)
Registration Fee $4 to $37 (depending on the type of plate I choose)
Efficiency Maine offers EV rebates but the MSRP of the Rivian is high enough to disqualify the RIT from any money back.

More on the excise tax...
Excise tax is paid when you register a vehicle. The tax amount is based on the MSRP (manufacturer’s suggested retail price) and the vehicle’s age.

To calculate excise tax, multiply the per year amount by each thousand dollar of the MSRP. For example, the first year excise tax for a vehicle with an MSRP of $80,000 would be $1,920 ($24 x 80). Excise tax for the second year of the vehicle would be $1,400($17.50 x 80).

Excise rates are:
First year =$24.00 per thousand (or 0.0240)
Second year =$17.50 per thousand (or 0.1750)
Third year =$13.50 per thousand (or 0.1350)
Fourth year =$10.00 per thousand (or 0.0100)
Fifth year =$ 6.50 per thousand (or 0.00650)
Sixth and following years =$ 4.00 per thousand (or 0.0040)

After the sixth year, annual excise tax for a vehicle with an MSRP of $80,000 would be $320 ($4 x 80) in perpetuity.

This is what really bothers me about the "Excise Tax" and potentially Rivian's MSRP. I am contemplating getting a Camp Kitchen and the Yakima Tent option. Both are cool, but maybe a bit overpriced. I am trying to justify it by the cool factor though. IF the optional camp kitchen and tent are considered part of the MSRP for the vehicle I would have to pay Excise Tax on that amount every year FOREVER! So...

A $5,000 Camp Kitchen and $2,650 Tent ($7,650 total) added to my excise tax bill would be.

First year =$24.00 per thousand (or $183.60)
Second year =$17.50 per thousand (or $133.88)
Third year =$13.50 per thousand (or $103.28)
Fourth year =$10.00 per thousand (or $76.50)
Fifth year =$ 6.50 per thousand (or $49.73)
Sixth and following years =$ 4.00 per thousand (or $30.60)

Rivian, IF you are reading this AND IF you want to sell me a Camp Kitchen and Tent, we gotta work to get those "accessories on a separate invoice and NOT consider them part of the MSRP for the "Vehicle".

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Did my best for PA which is where I'll most likely be by the time I get mine,

Sales tax 6% (7% if Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) and 8% if Philadelphia), so based on $80k, $4800, $5600, or $6400. But if doing a trade in, only the difference between the purchase price and the trade in value is taxed.

Title Fees: $58
Registration fees: based on weight - 5-7k lbs: $92, 7-9k lbs: $177 (annual)
Avg dealer documentation fees: $130

EV $750 rebate only if purchase price <$50k, so no joy for Rivian.

One document listed some local rebates from certain utility providers such as Duquesne Light that offers a $60 bill credit for the purchase of an RV. PECO gives a $50 credit.

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

I'm curious how the R1T weight will impact registration fees in my state (Vermont). Trucks under 6100 pounds have the same registration cost as regular automobiles, but trucks over 6100 pounds have a sliding scale, where these trucks powered by "OTHER" fuel sources cost even more to register. That said, I think OTHER is suppose to apply to stuff like propane powered buses, not necessarily EV powered pickups.

https://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations/fees
Sponsored