Sponsored

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
They are probably gotten filthy and washed daily since late summer equaling a years worth of washing every month and causing the hinges to loose lubrication. A drop of light weight oil at each moving hinge would likely solve it and IMO would be expected a few times a year with heavy use.
I think that is giving them an easy excuse. Properly designed hinges wont squeak unless the bushing material is completely worn out. Think about your suspension, it cycles a ton every day and gets coated in all sorts of gunk. It's rare for them to squeak. A door/tailgate hinge can easily be designed to the same standard.
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I think that is giving them an easy excuse. Properly designed hinges wont squeak unless the bushing material is completely worn out. Think about your suspension, it cycles a ton every day and gets coated in all sorts of gunk. It's rare for them to squeak. A door/tailgate hinge can easily be designed to the same standard.
Agreed, I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever lube'd auto hinges. Just trying to give the benefit of the doubt that these have been rode hard and put away wet.

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Kyle shares more about his Rivian test drive in this week’s Inside EVs podcast, posted Friday - Nov. 19. After the cameras were off he got to slide the R1T around in rally mode.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Don't understand why so many 'reviewers' seem hesitant to GO! in the R1T. Many times the Rivian ride-along person said, "you can go faster." I assure you if I was driving, the person would be nervously saying, "you need to slow down more." :devil:
I’m not a “reviewer” but they day I got to drive(this last Friday), it was end of the day and they had a good chunk of the off road section closed due to how muddy it was.

my minder was keeping a tight lid on speeds. I will say the acceleration run was impressive, on very wet pavement, in the wet and on tires that were down to the wear bars. otherwise I’d liked to have had it in rally or sport mode with soft damping and stability control in the reduced setting.

would’ve been a good comparison, having gone directly from my car (focus RS on winter tires) driven in anger on local back roads making up for time lost to traffic. ?

Should’ve picked the morning time slot. Oh well.

Had I been able to drive before all the rain they got up here, it would’ve been a different story I’m sure.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
A show environment is hell on vehicles. People open and close things many times each, often try to take trim pieces with them, etc. equivalent to months of use each day. It’s even worse in a very humid environment like Sonoma, vs a trade show hall environment. one of the people working lamented “hopefully customers will take better care of their vehicles than these ones…” and that these events are great durability tests ?

Sponsored

hroussel

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3 perf, (R1T DMP reserved)
I get really annoyed by NVH issues when on the road. One downside to EV's is there isn't any engine rumble or exhaust note to mask little squeaks and rattles, or even the inevitable wind noise that can sound like a whistle to those of us with CDOÂł.

Every vehicle is unique in how it's been used and serviced, but I remember how eerily and pleasantly silent the test vehicles were in Normal. Of course you get some constant hum of wind noise at 130 MPH, but not enough to drown out the sound of my own heartbeat.

Every vehicle I have now or have owned in the past has/had some annoying squeak or rattle. Luckily, they were all addressed with grease, oil, foam, or traditional tools to eliminate or reduce them to non-annoying levels or frequency. I will say the road noise in an aging 2003 Mazda Tribute required a pair of noise-canceling Bose earbuds to eliminate the constant "Road Roar". ?
Quick question on the noise aspect: what was the tire noise like at such speeds? (or at least from 60mph up)

On my Tesla S I'm certainly more annoyed by tire noise than wind noise.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Quick question on the noise aspect: what was the tire noise like at such speeds? (or at least from 60mph up)

From my perspective, neither wind noise nor tire noise were an issue at all. Both SIGNIFICANTLY less than my Honda or Toyota.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

Can confirm the R1T was significantly quieter at ~75mph than my Model Y. All passengers could easily converse without raising our voices. If the test drive cars are representative, the sound insulation really puts Tesla to shame.

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
I’m surprised that people make comparisons with Jaguar or McLaren. If the R1T (not speaking of the R1S now) has ride/handling/NVH equal or better than a Tacoma TRD Pro or Chevy ZR2 I’d be satisfied. Of course that’s assuming superior traction, underbody protection, cool features as well typical EV characteristics like zero tailpipe emissions and low maintenance costs. Oh and even 5 second 0-60 mph is fine with me.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
In regards to the suspension:

I did my first mile drive on Saturday. I've owned several higher end models of the manufacturers you mentioned, and currently have a LR Defender (LR and Jaguar owned by the same parent company and often share mechanicals between them).

I can attest that taking the sharp highway onramp corner on University street in Seattle northbound onto I-5 at greater than 50mph I felt almost no side-to-side body sway. I didn't have to tilt my head or an asscheek to stay firmly planted in the seat in a vertical position.

If I did that in my Defender I'd be thrown out the passenger door after snapping the seatbelt like it was made of toilet paper.

It is literally the best damper system I've ever felt. In a truck. Not a freaking sportscar. A t?r?u?c?k.

In relation to noise:
I did a fair few runs at 90mph plus on the highway and was blown away by how quiet it was. It did pick up a bit of tire and wind noise as I got the speeds up there, but again comparing to my Defender (I did a lot of 80+mph runs up north to Snohomish in the last two weeks) it's night and day. I have to crank the stereo pretty loud to drown it out on in the Defender, especially the air noise, which is WAY loader than tire noise. In the R1T I didn't change the radio and maybe raised my voice by a few decibals at most to keep talking to the co-pilot and my passenger in the back.
Sponsored

Last edited: