Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
I think this is also one of the reasons why some manufacturers have headlight washer jets.
headlight washer jets are no bueno when it's like -20°F outside. Even if it's not that cold, you have wind chill working against you at speed and spraying anything, windshield or otherwise, just gets you an icy coating, assuming the jets are not froze up to begin with. I run the -35 degree rated ice-cutter wiper fluid in my stuff here - CO mountains, and it works most of the time. But still...

My Expedition and our Teslas and now Bronco [sport] all have LED headlights... This is a problem. I've heard tales about cars that have heaters for their headlamps to help with this. Headlamps and washers/wipers would be a great combo. Couldn't tell you which vehicles actually have that.
Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I think this is also one of the reasons why some manufacturers have headlight washer jets.
I think this is also one of the reasons why some people (me) refuse to ever move back to upstate New York. ?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I really enjoyed the video. I’ve been on that road a few times. It has a lot of curves and can be really fun to drive on. I didn’t see anything concerning during Kyles drive. He just reenforced my thinking on getting an R1T.

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
Just watched the Out of Spec Review video. Looks like these guys are going to a thorough review.

I might be late for a test request, but I thought I mention it -top-end speed in different drive modes. Maybe go to the Salt Flats and test the Sport mode -LOL.

87Ducks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T,
I have never owned an EV so quite a bit of this went over my head. However driving in snow, and more importantly ice, is a huge deal for me. I am in Central Oregon where the average high in December - February is about 38-40 degrees so when it snows it tends to melt and refreeze when the sun goes down into a hard packed shiny glaze. Also nothing around here is flat so we are always going up and down hills - right into intersections. My old Ridgeline with Michelin winter tires does pretty well so I would hope an R1T would do at least as well but really should perform better.

Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have never owned an EV so quite a bit of this went over my head. However driving in snow, and more importantly ice, is a huge deal for me. I am in Central Oregon where the average high in December - February is about 38-40 degrees so when it snows it tends to melt and refreeze when the sun goes down into a hard packed shiny glaze. Also nothing around here is flat so we are always going up and down hills - right into intersections. My old Ridgeline with Michelin winter tires does pretty well so I would hope an R1T would do at least as well but really should perform better.

I think Kyle does a great job in providing the additional detail that I'd personally want but it's more than a first time EV buyer would need. Luckily he admits in many of his videos he's a nerd/enthusiast. All that being said I think the R1T will be confident in average winter conditions, especially on the 20" ATs. But only getting more vehicles out on the road will confirm for sure. If you're in an area that would normally require dedicated snow tires, I'd imagine nothing about the R1T or the 20" ATs drastically changes that fact. Could one get away with the 20" ATs, maybe, but if the conditions require it there's no substitute for dedicated rubber.

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
So looking for maximum cold weather range but I need snow tires. What would the drawback be to getting the 21” wheels for the extra 40 miles range but using Nokian 275 50R21 snow tires instead of the 55R21 Pirellis? 5cm smaller diameter just means the speedometer would be a bit off?

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
So looking for maximum cold weather range but I need snow tires. What would the drawback be to getting the 21” wheels for the extra 40 miles range but using Nokian 275 50R21 snow tires instead of the 55R21 Pirellis? 5cm smaller diameter just means the speedometer would be a bit off?
Go look if the Nokian tires exist in that size. Or anything else for that matter. Better to avoid the 21 inch wheels sadly.

Sponsored

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
Oh I see from there website you're right! Nice! I was just checking tirerack.com where only the Rivian stock tires are listed.
So i guess we could use these snow tires on the 21” wheels, we just lose 5cm diameter and speedometer would be around 2 mph higher than actual.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
headlight washer jets are no bueno when it's like -20°F outside. Even if it's not that cold, you have wind chill working against you at speed and spraying anything, windshield or otherwise, just gets you an icy coating, assuming the jets are not froze up to begin with. I run the -35 degree rated ice-cutter wiper fluid in my stuff here - CO mountains, and it works most of the time. But still...

My Expedition and our Teslas and now Bronco [sport] all have LED headlights... This is a problem. I've heard tales about cars that have heaters for their headlamps to help with this. Headlamps and washers/wipers would be a great combo. Couldn't tell you which vehicles actually have that.
i‘ve never had problems with headlight washers below -30. But when it’s that cold it’s usually not too mucky out.

Frameless windows that drop down to clear a door seal on the other hand…

With the very upright headlights, washers would be very, very useful on an R1.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
So i guess we could use these snow tires on the 21” wheels, we just lose 5cm diameter and speedometer would be around 2 mph higher than actual.
I'd stick with 20" wheels for winter tires. There are plenty of options from Nokian and Michelin.

Tire options

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I really need those 40 extra miles of range the 21s offer
You won’t see those miles in conditions which merit actual winter tires vs all seasons.
Sponsored