First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
A 300 mile pack with LFP would also seems to be a worthwhile goal.
Why LiFePo4?
LiNiCoAl02 (NCA) used in the Samsung SDI cells have way higher energy density (much lighter per a given KW capacity) and a better charge discharge rates at cold temperatures. and maintain very good discharge life cycle.
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I'm glad they are making improvements, and am confident a fix can be implemented for the thermal issues. My only concern is why is it taking a media outlet to help drive these updates? I understand not every use case can be tested and accounted for, but this seems pretty basic for any EV.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm glad they are making improvements, and am confident a fix can be implemented for the thermal issues. My only concern is why is it taking a media outlet to help drive these updates? I understand not every use case can be tested and accounted for, but this seems pretty basic for any EV.
This is stuff Rivian is aware and I’m sure they are working on.

If you realistically think about the latest update 2022.11.2, most of the stuff Kyle called out was in this latest release but, there is no way it would have been turned around in 2 weeks if they had not already been addressing the issues.

It just takes longer than that to code and QA. When I was at Agua Dolce talking to one of the UI engineers, he told me the tire pressure readouts were coming, they had already had that build in QA for over 6 weeks, it came out a couple of weeks later.

This is not a knock on Out of Spec, enjoyed all of the reviews and look forward to what they have coming, just pointing out what should be obvious.

CyberKentuckian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Tacoma
Occupation
Tech Sales
Yeeep. I'm a little concerned that he was running into a constraint that's not actively cooled (like a cable outside the pack). No idea though. We'll just have to see what Rivian cooks up.
It would be atypical to have thermal monitoring in a location that isn’t also actively thermal managed, I think.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer

If you realistically think about the latest update 2022.11.2, most of the stuff Kyle called out was in this latest release but, there is no way it would have been turned around in 2 weeks if they had not already been addressing the issues.

It just takes longer than that to code and QA. When I was at Agua Dolce talking to one of the UI engineers, he told me the tire pressure readouts were coming, they had already had that build in QA for over 6 weeks, it came out a couple of weeks later.

This is not a knock on Out of Spec, enjoyed all of the reviews and look forward to what they have coming, just pointing out what should be obvious.
I was more referring to the charging restraints he was running into with the latest update. I assume they would have run into the same problems in testing, and would have thought about just running the coolers constantly.

I know he (Kyle) had mentioned on a podcast about running into a Rivian employee in an airport and they told him the things he was mentioning in his videos were already in process of being addressed.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I find it very odd that there's still so much work and tuning still happening on battery charging. What has Rivian been doing the last few years? I guess this was mostly just PR fluff: https://stories.rivian.com/cold-weather-testing
Yeah, only amateurs release software updates to their charging curve after product delivery...

https://electrek.co/2019/06/21/tesla-model-3-supercharging-faster-software-update/

https://www.slashgear.com/polestar-2-ota-update-improves-range-charging-and-adds-v2v-safety-25661246

https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/faster-dc-fast-charging-ota-update-this-year.1572/

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Trust the system.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
...why is it taking a media outlet to help drive these updates? I understand not every use case can be tested and accounted for, but this seems pretty basic for any EV.
Yeh, I have to agree. Doesn't install a ton of confidence. I suppose Team A at Rivian might be mostly focused on future projects/vehicles leaving Team B to cleanup behind them.

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I find it very odd that there's still so much work and tuning still happening on battery charging. What has Rivian been doing the last few years? I guess this was mostly just PR fluff: https://stories.rivian.com/cold-weather-testing
That is my assumption too. All those testing stories really didn't amount to much. Rivian still has a lot of room for improvement.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Designing cool sweatshirts and Gear Guard Gary headbands
I wouldn’t call any of the gear store offerings “cool” or even “good”.

Reactions: Guy