Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Well... hour and a half of nothing being done this morning. My company thanks you @OutofSpecKyle ;)

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Super impressive that he was getting 2.2 mi/kWh with the temps, wind and uphill climb to flagstaff and averaging 74mph…. Makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong as I have a hard time getting 2 mi/kWh.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Excellent video to give new EV drivers a good idea of how to think about charging on long trips!!! Until the charging infrastructure is built out much better, the challenges Kyle shows you are very real. NICE JOB!!

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
There needs to be a ‘Kyle Mode’ that shrinks the font for the speedometer display 😂

Last edited:

Sponsored

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Excellent video to give new EV drivers a good idea of how to think about charging on long trips!!! Until the charging infrastructure is built out much better, the challenges Kyle shows you are very real. NICE JOB!!

I am going to slightly, and respectfully, disagree with you a little. Kyle took a very deliberate route to put the truck in unique circumstances that most people will not in order to understand the efficiency and range of the R1T.

For instance, he could have driven from Denver to PHX in 14 or 16 hours along I-25, I-40, and I-17. I have done this many times and in 13 hours in my Taycan before and it is an easy and boring drive.

Getting around to major cities, and most national parks is not that challenging in an CCS compatible EV if you are prepared and have the right tools! Obviously, Wyoming, eastern Montana, and parts of central Utah are still a struggle.

You are certainly correct in sharing that the CCS charging infrastructure needs to be expanded, but we have come a long way in just the past two years, so don't be intimidated by Kyle's video. Just the opposite, you should be encouraged the those chargers were installed by the State of Utah in a super remote part of the state!

Cheers and happy motoring!

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I am going to slightly, and respectfully, disagree with you a little. Kyle took a very deliberate route to put the truck in unique circumstances that most people will not in order to understand the efficiency and range of the R1T.

For instance, he could have driven from Denver to PHX in 14 or 16 hours along I-25, I-40, and I-17. I have done this many times and in 13 hours in my Taycan before and it is an easy and boring drive.

Getting around to major cities, and most national parks is not that challenging in an CCS compatible EV if you are prepared and have the right tools! Obviously, Wyoming, eastern Montana, and parts of central Utah are still a struggle.

You are certainly correct in sharing that the CCS charging infrastructure needs to be expanded, but we have come a long way in just the past two years, so don't be intimidated by Kyle's video. Just the opposite, you should be encouraged the those chargers were installed by the State of Utah in a super remote part of the state!

Cheers and happy motoring!
I guess I plan to drive more like Kyle... 🤪 I'm also in the PNW (mostly east side of the Cascades) where DCFC charging is nearly non-existant on many of my planned routes. The challenges of charging will be different for each person.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I agree. I never encountered a working 50kw CCS1 charger. What was Kyles plan if that Moab CCS1 charger wasn't working?

I've also never enountered a J1772 Level 2 that was greater than 7kw. That is maybe 13 miles per hour for a Rivian.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess I plan to drive more like Kyle... 🤪 I'm also in the PNW (mostly east side of the Cascades) where DCFC charging is nearly non-existant on many of my planned routes. The challenges of charging will be different for each person.
Yeah, that north east side of Washington outside of Spokane is pretty much a fast charging desert for CCS. Plenty of options for destination charging and camp ground charging, so just make sure you are patient and have the right charging connection handy. Tesla Tap and a 14-50 connector are essential for that part of the country.

The State of Washington needs to step it up and subsidize +50kW chargers since that north east and northern central part of Washington will not be a priority for any fast charging company anytime soon.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Yeah, that north east side of Washington outside of Spokane is pretty much a fast charging desert for CCS. Plenty of options for destination charging and camp ground charging, so just make sure you are patient and have the right charging connection handy. Tesla Tap and a 14-50 connector are essential for that part of the country.

The State of Washington needs to step it up and subsidize +50kW chargers since that north east and northern central part of Washington will not be a priority for any fast charging company anytime soon.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a few RAN stations out there, and others start expanding there as EV offroading/overlanding becomes more of a thing. That's a pretty big recreation destination in WA, especially the dunes.

Sponsored

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree. I never encountered a working 50kw CCS1 charger. What was Kyles plan if that Moab CCS1 charger wasn't working?

I've also never enountered a J1772 Level 2 that was greater than 7kw. That is maybe 13 miles per hour for a Rivian.
I have charged multiple times at that Moab 50kW charger, and have luckily never found it non-functional. Before the Green River Electrify America location was open, that Moab location was an integral part of getting across eastern Utah on I-70.

Thankfully, there are many options now to get from Denver to PHX via a CCS compatible EV. if that Moab charger had been down, he could have charged for a couple of hours on the slow charger and then deviated to Green River, UT to the Electrify America station. He could have continued on I-70 to I-15 and taken the long way to PHX.

Key to EV road tripping is to have a plan, and to know your options in case something happens.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I wouldn't be surprised to see a few RAN stations out there, and others start expanding there as EV offroading/overlanding becomes more of a thing. That's a pretty big recreation destination in WA, especially the dunes.
Obviously Rivian is not installing 600 DCFC by the end of 2023. We will see if they are going to do any more than donate $200 level 2 connectors to whatever organizations will install these devices.

I've never seen a public 11kw level 2 device. I doubt many of the Rivian level 2 will be 11kw.

The benefit of more level 2 is to non-Rivians and non-Hummers.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
There needs to be a ‘Kyle Mode’ that shrinks the font for the soeedometer display 😂
He'll frequently (or at least used to) conveniently place the GoPro where the steering wheel obscures it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

They've started budgeting for that as of this supplementary budget.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
@OutofSpecKyle your videos absolutely rock. Saved me a plane ticket. Felt like I was in the passenger seat. Loved the part in which you picked up a buncha strangers in middle of nowhere using R1T as a giggling machine.
Sponsored