Sponsored

OTA Updates Free Forever

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
From the website it appears you won’t need the membership to get OTA updates that add new features:

Rivian R1T R1S OTA Updates Free Forever 4689213F-BFD9-46A6-A157-F64F88B9C194
Sponsored

Reactions: Max

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I would assume that if you don't have the membership, you have to connect over WiFi to get updates, same as it is with Tesla.

Makes sense, as there's not really any good reason for them to charge for the software updates, since they'd probably get very few takers (heck, macOS went free years ago, and now even MS Windows is free to get new versions forever).

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Doesn't say everything will be free, just that you will get continuous updates that themselves are free.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think there’s a lot of leeway for Rivian given there‘s no standard in this space. While I can’t see them specifically charging for OTA updates on a $70k vehicle its certainly possible they add “new” features and charge for those. For the short term it’d be much easier to focus on one software stack and push refinements based on real world feedback.

Rithvik

First Name
rithvik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
IT
In the Name of free OTA update they will find new ways of collecting data with updates

Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
You mean they won't charge me for bug fixes and adding basic features that should have already been in the car (ie trip computer, tire pressure gauge, etc)? Thanks, Rivian!

They most definitely will charge for anything notable that's new, they've already said so.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I think there’s a lot of leeway for Rivian given there‘s no standard in this space. While I can’t see them specifically charging for OTA updates on a $70k vehicle its certainly possible they add “new” features and charge for those. For the short term it’d be much easier to focus on one software stack and push refinements based on real world feedback.
Even if they charged for some features, they would probably just have one software stack. Some features are only active in some conditions (when driving, when parked, when door is open, etc), adding one more condition (when paid for), is far less work than a whole software stack. Just a bit of testing to test both on and off states.
Sponsored