Orlando-Tallahassee charging?

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Hey all, I’ve got a trip up there this week and I’m getting some range anxiety on being able to make it there and back. Plug share app doesn’t show many options for us along the way aside from a FPL charger in Lake City. The two Downtown tally fast chargers (charge point) DC looks like it’s broken. Was trying to do a day trip but even an overnight gives me pause.

anyone done it and have tips to share?
Sponsored

Last edited:

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
Hey all, I’ve got a trip up there this week and I’m getting some range anxiety on being able to make it there and back. Plug share app doesn’t show many options for us along the way aside from a FPL charger in Lake City. The two Downtown tally fast chargers (charge point) DC looks like it’s broken. Was trying to do a day trip but even an overnight gives me pause.

anyone done it and have tips to share?
I haven't considered a Tally Trip yet, but certainly will at some point. I actually haven't driven farther than NSB, so I have yet to charge while on a trip, so take anything I recommend with a grain of salt and let me know if I'm crazy. It looks like the EA in Gainesville is mostly operational as a top up spot instead of Lake City (about 40 miles difference). That would get you to Tally fine. If you can find at least some L2 charging for a few hours you could come home the back way down 98 through Perry and Chiefland, each of which show operational CCS on plugshare. From Chiefland you cut over to 75 through Williston. I used to take this way back before Waze if I feared there would be bad traffic on 75 or 10.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
thanks. Yah. It’s the what if I can’t get a tally charge and I essentially need to RT from Lake City? I see the new AC hotel has a L2 across street but they’re sold out the night I’d be staying.

i’m honestly amazed that FPL doesn’t have a DC in tally.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I totally missed the EA charger north of I-10. My range anxiety is no more! Looks like I’m making a pit stop in Ft Myers on the way to Tallahassee so this will be a long ride.

R1T-8171

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep Wrangler 4XE, Dodge Magnum SRT8
Occupation
CDJR Sales
Electrify America has 350kwh in Jax x 2(Avenues), Ormond Beach x 4 (SR40 Walmart), Florida Mall x 4 (OBT Orlando). Florida Mall and Ormond were free the other day. I rarely use them but just in case. I only use EA chargers when needed. I live in Lake Mary, there are a ton of other brands by Target locations with 150+kwh within the area.

I make the trip to Jax every home game. I stop just to replenish along the trip to power my speakers for tailgating. Never had an issue. If EA chargers are down just call the 1-800 number and they'll have them up and running within minutes.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Electrify America has 350kwh in Jax x 2(Avenues), Ormond Beach x 4 (SR40 Walmart), Florida Mall x 4 (OBT Orlando). Florida Mall and Ormond were free the other day. I rarely use them but just in case. I only use EA chargers when needed. I live in Lake Mary, there are a ton of other brands by Target locations with 150+kwh within the area.

I make the trip to Jax every home game. I stop just to replenish along the trip to power my speakers for tailgating. Never had an issue. If EA chargers are down just call the 1-800 number and they'll have them up and running within minutes.
Yah, I have zero concerns along the I-95 corridor. It’s I-75/I-10 that’s a bit more sketch. I’ve got an upcoming trip to Panama City and I’m not even going to attempt that in an R1T at this point.

R1T-8171

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CDJR Sales
Yah, I have zero concerns along the I-95 corridor. It’s I-75/I-10 that’s a bit more sketch. I’ve got an upcoming trip to Panama City and I’m not even going to attempt that in an R1T at this point.
There are plenty of major cities along the way. I would use google as a better resource than the option to locate chargers via the nav system.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
There are plenty of major cities along the way. I would use google as a better resource than the option to locate chargers via the nav system.
Like what? Got a consistent 75kw rate in Gainesville EA (first two stations wouldn’t connect) so I skipped Lake City and was station limited to 20-25kw at then EA station in Tally. At the moment, getting home will be fun. Gonna try and hobble to Lake City FPL and see if I can do better.

if not for the stellar 125kw I got at evgo in Bradenton this morning I probably wouldn’t have even made it here. The R1S next to me was maxing at 25kw btw.

R1T-8171

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CDJR Sales
Like what? Got a consistent 75kw rate in Gainesville EA (first two stations wouldn’t connect) so I skipped Lake City and was station limited to 20-25kw at then EA station in Tally. At the moment, getting home will be fun. Gonna try and hobble to Lake City FPL and see if I can do better.

if not for the stellar 125kw I got at evgo in Bradenton this morning I probably wouldn’t have even made it here. The R1S next to me was maxing at 25kw btw.
There is a video on youtube, I posted it here but they removed it. It is a guy charging his R1T at all the different speeds only to find they all charge about the same rate over the same amount time. This is because when you go to a 350kwh it has to slow speeds for cooling. I've noticed this at the EA stations. I get a quick 25/40 miles and then it takes almost 35/40 minutes to get 100 plus miles of range due to cooling. Those 125s might not be so bad. Until Rivian updates their software to allow charging with less cooling nothing will be fast for us.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
So not really relevant to the OP but not worthy of a new thread either. Panhandle infrastructure…Sucks. Went to Panama City there are no local options. Other than driving to Chipley EA station which is 120mi RT. Hindsight. I should have bought a teslatap as most hotels (inc mine) seemed to have a tesla destination charger. Wish I had know/properly researched in advance. I’m sure it will change in the coming year but for now I understand why so many locals had never seen a Rivian before.

as an aside, sitting next to Volkswagen folks charging…our rate seems to suck

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
There is a video on youtube, I posted it here but they removed it. It is a guy charging his R1T at all the different speeds only to find they all charge about the same rate over the same amount time. This is because when you go to a 350kwh it has to slow speeds for cooling. I've noticed this at the EA stations. I get a quick 25/40 miles and then it takes almost 35/40 minutes to get 100 plus miles of range due to cooling. Those 125s might not be so bad. Until Rivian updates their software to allow charging with less cooling nothing will be fast for us.
Of course they deleted it. It seems to show we’re slower to charge than most (all?) the others. Still think Evgo is slower though no scientific evidence to prove such.
Sponsored