Sponsored

OPINION: What to name Rivian Launch Mode?

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Well on the heels of the Motor Trend truck of the year 2022 news, I was just thinking about in the future for over-the-air updates what do people think the name should be for the Rivian based launch mode for its vehicles?

Tesla has a Cheetah Mode, what would people here on the forums think a good launch mode name would be?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ja_kub_sz

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I jokingly thought of Billy Goat mode. After all rivian is as sure-footed as a mountain goat.

Just think about it the front of the truck lowers down, the battery pack warms up, the car starts making loud goat noises, and then poof it launches!

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Didn’t some of the earlier reviews show a “Sport Launch” mode, or did I make that up?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ja_kub_sz

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Didn’t some of the earlier reviews show a “Sport Launch” mode, or did I make that up?
Maybe you're right, but everything that I remember hearing just said put your foot on the brake and then hit the accelerator and take your foot off the brake. It sounded more like just doing a manual launch as opposed to an actual mode.

OP
OP
ja_kub_sz

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"First ÂĽ Mile" Mode ?

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

go fast

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Why do we need a launch mode? Why can't it just give you everything it's got any time you floor it?

If some people want to be able to floor it and not have the vehicle go fast, how about just having configurable max-torque, max-HP, max g-force, and max top speed settings associated with each drive mode? No silly names, numbers with real units: HP, ft-lbs, MPH, G's.

And for bonus points, password protect these settings so vallet / teenager can't have too much fun.

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I really dislike launch modes - just mash the accelerator and go fast. Nothing gimmicky required !
+1,000. This isn't a drag racer and it doesn't really serve any purpose beyond silly bragging rights and juvenile marketing (Watts To Freedom, anyone?) to bend over backwards to get an extra tenth of a second.

3ish seconds is stupidly fast. Fast enough that there's no legitimate purpose (beyond hooliganery) served by going faster in stock config; this can beat anyone off the line in any responsible circumstance, can pass confidently under virtually any conditions, and can stretch any definition of "responsible driving" to the breaking point.

If some buyer wants to go balls-out by putting racing slicks on theirs, removing seats and trim, and tweaking the suspension just so to shave it down to 2.8 seconds or whatever, more power to them I guess. But Rivian doesn't need to add a "mode" for that. The "mode" is already there and it's called "Sport."

Press the go pedal to go. Press it all the way to go fast. Why complicate things?

OP
OP
ja_kub_sz

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I really dislike launch modes - just mash the accelerator and go fast. Nothing gimmicky required !
But if it makes you "go fast" faster then I'm all for it. ?
Sponsored