Sponsored

OPINION: What to name Rivian Launch Mode?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I really dislike launch modes - just mash the accelerator and go fast. Nothing gimmicky required !
Funny you mention that. Like most folks, I've done the standard "stand on the brake and the gas, then release the brake" launch in ICE-mobiles, but didn't even consider needing to do it when back in Normal. Just stomping the accelerator / exhilarator pedal to the floor resulted in a rocket ride from the moment I stood on it.

When watching all of these First Mile and other events, I was taken by the spinning tires for the first second or so of the 0-60 stomp 'n romps. Maybe it was because I was inside, with the windows up, but I don't recall the sound or feel of any burning of rubber. Could've been the mode, maybe the lack of standing on the brakes and exhilarator to start. Don't know, but don't think I heard a single other person smoke the tires either.

You can bet I'll try to make it happen a time or two once it arrives, but I'll likely not abuse it like that much. Brings a smile to my face thinking how much more fun life will be driving everywhere in a Rivian. Also looking forward to meeting so many of you as we all start moving about the country together!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ja_kub_sz

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I still kinda like "First ¼ Mile"... F¼ Mode

Engaging F14...?

Still struggling, but I do like the novelty of a launch mode and figure that since we already have a Gear Guard yeti, why not a quirky launch mode?

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Since we all know that RJ is Superman in disguise...

Rivian R1T R1S OPINION: What to name Rivian Launch Mode? E27A3F47-96E8-439C-BB07-17AAEB64CFED

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Allow name change per individual vehicle via User Preference......

Hi-Ho Silver!
That would work great for an Alexa command to put it into a particular mode. You could also extend it to other mode configurations. You say one Alexa command that would adjust the drive mode, height of the suspension, and firmness of the suspension.

Sponsored

dyb51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 M3 Coupe
OG Mode - which stands for 1.21 Gigawatts Mode. Hit up Google if you don't understand the Ice-T and Back to the Future double entendre reference...both of which are highly relevant here.

db

Last edited:

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Launch mode has more that 1 purpose. Going fast and and that crazy shenanigans are one. The second, and most important reason, most people do not know WTF to do with full power from a standing position, so if you want to use, you need to be aware you are going all in. Another reason, preserve tires and components, pulling full power/torque constantly will increase wear and tear on the vehicle, so again, gives you the option to use it when you want to only.

Just how some cars have Tow mode, or sport mode. To give the driver the option to switch knowing the pros/cons of each mode.

But, this whole bragging is pointless and a piss take, annoying childish play. I tried on a 911 and it was great, but I do not see myself ever using it. Admittedly, the only times I used it in my Tesla was when a passenger asked me to do it.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

Is the acceleration from a stop quicker in sport mode than, say, all-purpose mode?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Is the acceleration from a stop quicker in sport mode than, say, all-purpose mode?
You get full horsepower/torque in this mode, so it should be.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

"Just Gonna Send It" mode

Gear Guard Gary comes up on screen in a Larry Enticer style Canadian Tuxedo and "Just Gonna Send It" plays out the Pedestrian Warning Speaker once you put your foot on the brake in preparation.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
How about “Failure to Launch Mode”?

I kid, I kid.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I've only had a First Mile Drive and my host said both a specific pedal sequence and Sport mode are required to get the 3.1 advertised 0-60 time.

I'm not sure of the effect of the different tires. Is this with road tires or sport tires? I'm guessing road because I think larger wheels are typically a tad slower?

Anyone know what the 0-60 time is with brainless pedal mashing in all-purpose mode?

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
"Unused"
No real world usage other than a d!ck measuring contest...

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I understand where you are coming from, but let's remember that a lot of the people building fast cars for the track are waiving their paychecks around too. It is not an inexpensive hobby and the percentage of racers doing their own work to build out a car is not as high as it used to be.

The teenager thing is real. I have a 15 year old and am terrified of him driving anything. We have a tesla that allows us to set a top speed, but it doesn't have "parental controls" that allow us to throttle acceleration. He'll be getting my Camry hybrid.

Don't have kids, thankfully, but if I did - I would want a parental control called exactly that, Camry mode.... AKA slow as crap and won't go over 61.
Sponsored