Denis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Lexus 250 AWD
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I put down a deposit in Feb 2019 and was told that deliveries would be based on order date. For Ontario I think that has been forgotten to my disappointment. The rationale that it makes more sense to wait to deliver to Ontario until after the service infrastructure is in place is pretty weak. Surely Rivian would have know that 3 years ago and would have planned it out. I think the more likely answer is that by delivering in BC first, Rivian gets to sell the manufacturer EV credits to other OEM's that are not meeting BC's minimum EV to GPV ratio. Also, given that i live about the same distance from Detroit as I do from Toronto, going to Michigan for service would be just as handy as going to Toronto will be. Should Ontario deposit holders accept this?
Sponsored

Haulin Oats

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Adventure
Although physically close to the Detroit SC, it crosses an international border to do so. Rivian just wants to ensure that you can be serviced properly before delivering you a vehicle. That doesn't seem so hard to understand.

OP
OP

DenisRL

First Name
Denis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Lexus 250 AWD
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Although physically close to the Detroit SC, it crosses an international border to do so. Rivian just wants to ensure that you can be serviced properly before delivering you a vehicle. That doesn't seem so hard to understand.
Kinda missed the point there. Congratulations on living in BC where this is a non-issue. The point is that Rivian could have built the service centre in Ontario at the same time as the one in BC but chose not to in spite of a commitment made to deliver vehicles on a first come first served order.

Dark_Knight

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think you’re making a lot of assumptions about why BC went first. I totally understand that is it frustrating, but I would avoid speculation and inferences.

BlixemT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and a couple of Germans
Could it have something to do with the fact that they have a major development department located in Vancouver?

Sponsored

canoemonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery Sport
Occupation
Nature-Based Solutions Project Developer
It is frustrating. I am in the same boat unfortunately, a bit later than you (Nov 2019) but still many moons ago.

I had the opportunity to speak with Tony pre-Cdn launch and he said BC had significantly more orders that Ontario and Quebec.

The global prioritization by order number > location broke a long time ago, even in the US. Service proximity first then order number in that vicinity.

We are just unlucky to be in the last corner of relevance in their coverage zone unfortunately…..

canoemonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery Sport
Occupation
Nature-Based Solutions Project Developer
To be honest. I’ve given up on being frustrated. Doesn’t get me anywhere. I just hope by the time we get it there is a working tonneau….

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Honestly, go down to the States and pick up a "lightly used" one from a dealer if you can't wait. Prices are crashing, and I'm considering this option.

Dark_Knight

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You won’t be able to use it here. The daytime running lights for their US vehicles won’t pass inspection and they won’t convert it for you. Don’t get stuck with a $100k paper weight.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I put down a deposit in Feb 2019 and was told that deliveries would be based on order date.
... and location. You forgot "and location", as well as a few other factors. That was in the pre-order agreement. Which you read before you gave them $1000, right?

5. No Guarantee of Delivery Date
You are preordering a Vehicle without specifying the model, features, and options. We will endeavor to produce Your Selected Vehicle in the future and your priority will be set by the date of payment of your Preorder Fee, our manufacturing schedule, our delivery and service operations availability and execution of the Final Sales Agreement. There is no guarantee as to delivery date based on your Preorder.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DenisRL

First Name
Denis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, Lexus 250 AWD
Occupation
retired
Clubs

... and location. You forgot "and location", as well as a few other factors. That was in the pre-order agreement. Which you read before you gave them $1000, right?
Here is a copy of the email i originally received from Rivian.
Hi Denis

Great question.

Your country will not affect your place in line, though it may add shipping time depending on your region.

-Himanshi

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:44 PM
To: Rivian Pre Orders <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Adventure awaits

Can you describe how deposits for delivery in Canada will rank vs US deposits? In other words will you prioritize California deliveries and then US delivery’s ahead of Canadian deliveries regardless of when deposits were sent in? Secondly how will you service your trucks in Canada?

Thanks

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
You won’t be able to use it here. The daytime running lights for their US vehicles won’t pass inspection and they won’t convert it for you. Don’t get stuck with a $100k paper weight.
Its been done, there have been trucks imported to Montreal and Alberta that have been registered. One by a dealer, the other by a private individual. The modifications have to be done in Vancouver and they may not honor the warranty, but its possible.
Sponsored

Last edited: