Only 85 Days until the start of deliveries

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Rivian R1T R1S Only 85 Days until the start of deliveries Screenshot 2021-03-08 12.09.43

Countdown to the start of Rivian Deliveries - link is an active countdown timer

I am an optimist so I counted down to June 1st. Pessimists should add 30 days. Skeptics should add more than 30 days. I have an early R1S reservation, so I am hopeful for August 1st.

When you start backing up from the start of deliveries, things will move quickly:

85 Days until June 1st

55 Days or less Until Order Confirmation:
It would seem that order confirmations would need to start at least 30 days before first delivery in order to plan production, allow for financing and possible trade-ins.

25 Days or less Until Test Drives / Hands On Access: Most of the reservation holders will want to at least have the ability to sit in and drive (or least be driven) in the vehicle before finalizing an order. To get reservations holders to a location to do this with time to decide on their final order, you need about 30 days to get the first groups through the process.

This is based upon my experience being one of the earliest Model X reservation holders. You can quibble over the exact timing, but any way you slice it, time is getting short with a lot information to dispense, hands on access to provide, orders to confirm, financing to secure, production to take place and deliveries to happen by June.

As a comparison, we waited years for our early Signature Model X reservation. But by this time before we took delivery (85 days before delivery), Tesla had released the details on the car, opened the online order system, held their launch party and given test rides.
Sponsored

Last edited:

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
June deliveries will be June 30th for the first few cars in customers' hands...so we'll have a few more days...would love to see some of those test-drive invites...

OP
OP
mkennedy1996

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
June deliveries will be June 30th for the first few cars in customers' hands...so we'll have a few more days...would love to see some of those test-drive invites...
Ok, so we'll put you in the pessimist category.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Hopefully the second category doesn’t turn out being “Disappointed”.

Sponsored

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I'm hoping it comes close to when it is supposed to. I remember being totally excited for my Tesla M3P. now that I've enjoyed battery cars, I'm just hoping for good build quality, great charging network without having to drive to Yosemite to find a charger,LOL. The key for me is going to be all about infrastructure support and charging network. I hope Rivian learned from Tesla, "build it before they come"

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
I believe it will be early June, but VERY limited. Like how Tesla rolled out the first 10 Model Xs. If it's late June it doesn't change much for me since I am one of the very late LE pre-orderers.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I'm optimistically hoping for any deliveries by June 30th!
I'd call that a minor miracle if Rivian holds firm to that.

MichaelW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XFR, Ford Mustang GT, Mazda Miata, Smart ForTwo
I'm incredibly curious about these timelines. There are a lot of open items to address.

They have a ton of positions open on the website that will need to be filled to execute on some of these items and they appear to be in no rush to fill them. I've been rejected for a few positions I was relatively over-qualified for (which is fine...no hard feelings) showing that they are not desperate to fill these spots and are still being selective. Probably a good thing but this means a lot of people are going to have to hit the ground running full speed.

Even if these spots are filled immediately with top-tier talent, they will still need to process paperwork, have start dates, and some sort of onboarding/training before being thrown out into the field to execute on things like reservation holder events, retail execution, vehicle delivery, vehicle service, etc. Subtract at least 2 weeks from the date these spots are filled and your 25 days until test drives are down to 11 days to fill these spots.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
There are the initial deliveries and then there is ramp up for the long term. I highly suspect that most everything required for initial deliveries will be handled by existing staff.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
There are the initial deliveries and then there is ramp up for the long term. I highly suspect that most everything required for initial deliveries will be handled by existing staff.
Agreed. I don't expect the retail experience centers to have anything to do with LE deliveries, and I don't really expect the RAN to be live in any significant way when the first LEs are delivered either.

Early service/warranty issues are probably the biggest challenge, but with very few vehicles on the road initially, a come-to-you white glove experience buys them time before they need a fully operational service network.

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I love your optimism!!! For myself, I am leaning toward delaying until a larger battery pack is available on the R1S.

Also, I need more info on service before I will feel comfortable pulling the trigger.

Snakelipdog

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Tech
It was previously posted that deliveries to those purchasers near the Normal, Illinois plant will see their vehicles first. I'm in that group but, I'm also in the group that would like to see a few RIVIANS on the road first and would like to see 400plus range battery in the R1S.
Sponsored