Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Looking through the manual, I don't see regen paddles on the back side of the steering wheel like I have on my Bolt. I also don't see the mention of "one-pedal driving", which I also have on my Bolt. I will miss both of those features tremendously!!! :crying: All you Bolt owners out there know what I mean. I rarely using my brakes at all in my Bolt and dearly love one-pedal driving.? I know the Rivian will slow way down in High Regen, but I don't think it has true one-pedal driving--there is a difference.

The Rivians may or may not have true one-pedal driving. I haven't be able to find that out for certain. The manual lists just two regen levels, High and Standard.

Does anyone know more about the level or regen braking in the Rivians??
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The "High Regen" setting is supposed to be a one pedal driving setting. Personally I find the paddle in the Bolt to be annoying. I'd rather have the full amount of Regen available in the pedal alone than to have to use an additional button when the pedal doesn't have enough.

There is a button that is described as an emergency brake when the brakes aren't working. They don't give detail about it. Sounds like it could be a max Regen sort of a thing?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
The manual lists just two regen levels, High and Standard.
Interesting, since I believe reviewers have said there are 4 different settings for region. I'm pretty sure @DuckTruck was able to bring the R1T to a complete stop without touching the brake in his test drive.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My reading of the manual leaves me with the impression that one-pedal-driving WILL be supported in the optional/configurable high regen mode.

I am a bit sad to see the paddles go…. It’d be nice to be able to easily and quickly switch regen up/down/off as I drive.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

As @jjwmenti9ned, we had four levels of regen settings, available through the touchscreen. It sounds like they may have paired that down to three. I'm assuming that there is always some regen in play simply by lifting your foot off the accelerator, with now only two available increases to beef it up upon lift from the pedal. In our drives, I believe level one was simply a default setting.

If the original first level is still there, it feels almost non-existent. It's likeky so light that the brake lights do not come on, as they didn't in the pre-production R1T's when in level one. In other words, it's much like driving an ICE-mobile where lifting the pedal then has you feel like you're coasting. I'm hoping they left what we knew as level 3 and level 4, both of which turned the brake lights on as soon as you lifted your foot from the accelerator, as the slowing was severe enough to warrant signalling a braking event to the people behind you.

I think I used only level 4, and it would bring you to a halt in pretty short order at low speeds. At higher speeds, it didn't come on immediately with it's full of capabilities. I'm sure that would look more like a panic stop to anyone behind you, but it still created enough regen to bring the truck to an eventual halt fairly quickly.

As with others, I'd love to have the paddles on the wheel, but that's just because I'm familiar with that arrangement. I'll be very comfortable with the one-pedal driving capabilities and will learn to not pop my foot off of the right pedal but learn to lift slowly to allow whatever level of regen I have dialed up to do its work.

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
Teslas such as my Model 3 don’t have paddles, however with the highest regen setting it’s easy to do one-pedal driving, including coming to a complete stop and having the car hold it (and I noticed in the manual that the Rivian also has the hold functionality).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The skinny pedal is, even in an ICE vehicle, a thrust control that enables the driver to obtain thrust from -T1 to +T2. To speed up you push the pedal towards the metal and to slow down you let it back. In an ICE vehicle the source of negative thrust is drag plus rolling resistance. In a BEV you can also get negative thrust from the motor(s) and that means the magnitude of T1 can be bigger. It can get bigger, in a properly designed system, to the point where it can produce all the negative thrust you will ever need. In such a case you will never have to use the friction brake and your driving will require a lot less energy. If the magnitude of T1 is great enough to permit this we can call the system "one pedal" because you never use the brake pedal.

There are lots of ways to cripple a regen system that is otherwise capable of producing sufficient |T1| such that the system cannot be safely operated with one pedal alone. You can do that with paddles, knobs, levers or touch screen controls. Rivian evidently tried paddles and finally settled touch screen instead. Done this way your driving is less efficient but you may not care about that or feel more comfortable because the truck resembles an ICE vehicle (smaller |T1|) with which you are familiar.

OR, you can get sufficient |T1| to eliminate the need for friction brakes but require the use of a paddle or knob or whatever to get all of it it. In this case you will have maximum efficiency but can't call it "one pedal" any more because it takes more than the one pedal to get it. OR you can limit |T1| at 0 pedal depression and require the brake pedal be depressed to get the full electric thrust of which the motors are capable. If you are skillful enough to never push the brake to the point where unnecessary friction is applied you can still get the maximum efficiency but again cannot call it "one pedal".

It seems Rivian gives you two options selected by touchscreen controls. One is full pedal with maximum efficiency and the other is less |T1| with less efficiency.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
The "High Regen" setting is supposed to be a one pedal driving setting. Personally I find the paddle in the Bolt to be annoying. I'd rather have the full amount of Regen available in the pedal alone than to have to use an additional button when the pedal doesn't have enough.

There is a button that is described as an emergency brake when the brakes aren't working. They don't give detail about it. Sounds like it could be a max Regen sort of a thing?
The emergency is pushing the gear selector button to be what would be park position if you were not moving, holding the button on the tree in acts as the ebrake handle on the old manual cars. Once the vehicle is actually at a stop it engages into Park. You have to hold it in. From what I read there.
Sponsored