OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sorry to see this having happened to you. Must be very frustrating.

I believe people like TWraps sell PPF for just the headlights. You could PPF them temporarily to prevent water intrusion and, with a little care, should be able to reuse the PPF on the new headlight.
That's a great idea. I'll look into that. Thanks!
Sponsored

Molarman

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Limited, 2019 Porsche Cayenne e-hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Don't forget diminished value; it will be an insurance reported accident and will show up on carfax reports. That will lower the future used vehicle value. They should reimburse you for that.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I took it to a Rivian Certified place today. They are going to file a supplemental for a new bumper (gloss black part). While USAA assumed it could be fixed (small dent / missing paint), they said it wont look right. Hopefully that's not a big fight. They were able to bend back the clip and push the grill(?) to the left of the light that was sticking out back in. They said it's possible they will find other stuff once they open it up, but as of now just bumper+light.

Good news: they let me take the truck home and will let me pre-pay for all parts after USAA approves. The estimate is 4 business days. So in theory I could drop it off on a Monday and have it back for fun before the weekend.

Bad news: I had some dead bugs that I guess made it hard to see the damage on the bumper and grill(?). Glass cleaner + a micro fiber towel just laying around was the answer before I could say anything :crying:

@Molarman good call out on the diminished claim. First accident (almost 30 years driving) and didn't know that was a thing. Based on a CA calculator I found, the fact there wont be any body/panel damage appears to exclude a claim based on a 0 "multiplier." But I'll ask USAA for sure.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Sad to see the broken headlight, but glad to hear youā€™re on your way to getting it fixed!

On the bright side, this is the perfect opportunity for a 3D printing vendor to create a Rivian eye patch!

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I have a feeling that if it was not for the park ranger being there, I might be in the middle of a ā€œhe rear ended meā€ situation.
Yes, exactly! Anyone who jumps out of their car saying "don't be a fucking asshole", IS just that.

Sorry to read this. This would have ruined my day, week, month.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's been two months and I've finally dropped off the truck for repairs yesterday. Took a few weeks to get USAA to approve the supplemental, then several more weeks to get parts ordered from Rivian. They prepared me for an additional supplemental if they find anything once they open things up, but as of now total estimate and USAA approved amount is $5.6K. USAA determined I wasn't at fault and is working to get my deductible from AAA.

I've been enjoying the truck like normal for the past 2 months and got used to the damage as it's now been damaged longer than the 6 weeks I had it before the incident.

Now the painful part. I have Rivian home assistant configuration and can see pretty much track everything that happens with the truck. Like the trunk and drivers window was open all night which stressed me out. I dropped it off with 86% but watching it slowly go down is painful. Also, had a borderline panic attack when I saw the milage increase 1.5 miles in home assistant and looked up the location and saw it was at some unknown address. I called the shop and they told me it was at their storage yard, which they did inform me was a possibility but I forgot and felt like an idiot. Anyhow I'm basically a helicopter parent for a truck. I've always loved my cars, but I think the 13 months of waiting for it to be born has created a borderline unhealthy attachment. Anyhow, hopefully she is back in my arms...um I mean driveway...in a couple weeks.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Now the painful part. I have Rivian home assistant configuration and can see pretty much track everything that happens with the truck. Like the trunk and drivers window was open all night which stressed me out. I dropped it off with 86% but watching it slowly go down is painful.
Ask the body shop to put the truck in "shipping mode" (settings/vehicle/service.. shipping mode), that will reduce vampire drain to .5kWh per day.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

$650 on eBay for a replacement of the entire passenger headlight. Take the $6.5k and DIY it!

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not sure how to feel about this. Saw my battery dropped decently, so I checked the mileage and saw it went up ~15 miles. Checked the Rivian app and see my R1T is now at the Rivian Service center. When I dropped it off the guy did say "we will have to take it to El Segundo to get sensors cleared." But at the time was thinking it was one of their few locations that had the necessary tools. Clearly he was referring to the Rivian service center. I don't love the idea of my truck being driven for ~40 minutes in LA traffic w/o me. Also, very interesting that Rivan needs to do something vs providing the ability for Rivian certified collision centers to do it themselves. Anyhow, at least this means i'm one step closer to getting my truck back. Over thinking it?

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Not sure how to feel about this. Saw my battery dropped decently, so I checked the mileage and saw it went up ~15 miles. Checked the Rivian app and see my R1T is now at the Rivian Service center. When I dropped it off the guy did say "we will have to take it to El Segundo to get sensors cleared." But at the time was thinking it was one of their few locations that had the necessary tools. Clearly he was referring to the Rivian service center. I don't love the idea of my truck being driven for ~40 minutes in LA traffic w/o me. Also, very interesting that Rivan needs to do something vs providing the ability for Rivian certified collision centers to do it themselves. Anyhow, at least this means i'm one step closer to getting my truck back. Over thinking it?
FWIW, my R1S had to be re-calibrated by Rivian techs however the collision center is several hours from a SC so Rivian sends the tech to the shop from the Chicago SC. The Chicago collision shop I got a quote from said they would flatbed it to the Chicago SC.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
FWIW, my R1S had to be re-calibrated by Rivian techs however the collision center is several hours from a SC so Rivian sends the tech to the shop from the Chicago SC. The Chicago collision shop I got a quote from said they would flatbed it to the Chicago SC.
I think this confirms my assumption that Rivian has not opened up the software side of things. So it's more of a Rivian issue vs a 3rd party collision center issue. I have no idea if other tech focused cars like Tesla are the same.

Ironically, I had originally called Rivian asking if I could just have them replace my headlight. Thinking it would be no different than if it was defective and I had them replace it. They told me they wouldn't touch it because it was accident related and I had to go through a certified collision center. Now it's sitting at Rivian as I type this...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Itā€™s been 2.5 months since someone backed into me and took out my headlight and I finally got my truck back after repairs today. Itā€™s not perfect, but I think Iā€™m ok with that. I just want to move on and enjoy my truck. The gap around the headlight is still pretty significant. While I donā€™t have a lot of great photos of the light before the accident, upon photo analysis I do not believe this was a factory gap. I didnā€˜t notice it until I got home today, so I didnā€˜t ask the shop about it. I have a feeling some parts (e.g. clips) where damaged that needed to be replaced that were not. If thatā€™s the case Iā€™m partially to blame because I didnā€˜t want to keep the truck at the shop and let them tear it down before making the estimate and ordering parts. I could take it back and insist on it getting fixed, but itā€™s really hard to notice unless you are looking for it so I think Iā€™m going to just live with it. I thought the repairs looked great when I picked it up, so I doubt anyone else would notice and I doubt Iā€™ll notice it in a few weeks. Some shots on the right, left (gap) headlights plus a full front shot (which I think looks pretty good) below.

One interesting thing you can see in the zoomed out picture: The new headlight on the left looks a lot blacker than the original on the right. Maybe sun fade on the original light?

Rivian R1T R1S One-eyed R1T :( Headlight broken by a Jeep 041F33DA-8A79-4DBA-B0D5-01E06A8DBD8820230615_155054
Rivian R1T R1S One-eyed R1T :( Headlight broken by a Jeep 1C2ECB96-8A91-4D3C-81AF-70C9BB1E35D720230615_155048
Rivian R1T R1S One-eyed R1T :( Headlight broken by a Jeep CDE49238-1653-43BE-9B15-C399340DCF2520230615_155351

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Itā€™s been 2.5 months since someone backed into me and took out my headlight and I finally got my truck back after repairs today. Itā€™s not perfect, but I think Iā€™m ok with that. I just want to move on and enjoy my truck. The gap around the headlight is still pretty significant. While I donā€™t have a lot of great photos of the light before the accident, upon photo analysis I do not believe this was a factory gap. I didnā€˜t notice it until I got home today, so I didnā€˜t ask the shop about it. I have a feeling some parts (e.g. clips) where damaged that needed to be replaced that were not. If thatā€™s the case Iā€™m partially to blame because I didnā€˜t want to keep the truck at the shop and let them tear it down before making the estimate and ordering parts. I could take it back and insist on it getting fixed, but itā€™s really hard to notice unless you are looking for it so I think Iā€™m going to just live with it. I thought the repairs looked great when I picked it up, so I doubt anyone else would notice and I doubt Iā€™ll notice it in a few weeks. Some shots on the right, left (gap) headlights plus a full front shot (which I think looks pretty good) below.

One interesting thing you can see in the zoomed out picture: The new headlight on the left looks a lot blacker than the original on the right. Maybe sun fade on the original light?

041F33DA-8A79-4DBA-B0D5-01E06A8DBD8820230615_155054.jpeg
1C2ECB96-8A91-4D3C-81AF-70C9BB1E35D720230615_155048.jpeg
CDE49238-1653-43BE-9B15-C399340DCF2520230615_155351.jpeg
Rivian R1T R1S One-eyed R1T :( Headlight broken by a Jeep IMG_20230615_235049
Sponsored