First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Trip to PA last week with the family and extended family. Rivian did great as a road trip vehicle for all 900 miles.

Rest of the family isn't "vehicle centric" like I am. So naturally a few people show up with cars that have way underinflated tires. Prius with 13 PSI in a front tire (after driving from New Jersey), and another car with a couple tires 6-8 psi low.

Whip out the compressor hose in the Rivian and start airing them up. It's faster than I would of expected, and did the first few tires great. Set the pressure, hit start, done.

Then on my 3rd tire on a particular car (with 38psi fill rating, set on the compressor), it kept going for a while longer than the others. When it stopped, the tire was at 56psi. Checked the compressor, still set at 38psi. Aired down the overfilled tire and everything was fine, but it makes me worry about future fill sessions.

I'll be picking up an extra analog pressure gauge to keep in the truck. I can't trust the onboard system now. Just be aware.
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Trip to PA last week with the family and extended family. Rivian did great as a road trip vehicle for all 900 miles.

Rest of the family isn't "vehicle centric" like I am. So naturally a few people show up with cars that have way underinflated tires. Prius with 13 PSI in a front tire (after driving from New Jersey), and another car with a couple tires 6-8 psi low.

Whip out the compressor hose in the Rivian and start airing them up. It's faster than I would of expected, and did the first few tires great. Set the pressure, hit start, done.

Then on my 3rd tire on a particular car (with 38psi fill rating, set on the compressor), it kept going for a while longer than the others. When it stopped, the tire was at 56psi. Checked the compressor, still set at 38psi. Aired down the overfilled tire and everything was fine, but it makes me worry about future fill sessions.

I'll be picking up an extra analog pressure gauge to keep in the truck. I can't trust the onboard system now. Just be aware.
Wow, significant difference.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

FWIW heat affects air pressure and it's hot as hell in PA right now (In MD my self).

Compressor sends air by the time it's traveled thru a HOT hose air pressure has already increased several PSI. I'm at the race track right now and it's a 15/20psi temp difference.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
iā€˜m planning on finding the smallest tire inflator I can with a good gauge and a bleed button, one that will fit in the hose pouch.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I never trust those set and forget tire air compressors. I almost had something similar happen using one at a gas station. My first 3 tires went fine but the 4th just kept going and the compressor was acting like it wasnā€™t even close to the target PSI. The only explanation I could think of was maybe the compressor hose wasnā€™t fitted on the tire valve properly because it was farthest away and the hose was at a weird angle and that caused it to not read the pressure properlyā€¦

Sponsored

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I know I have done something similar. You have to set the pressure for every tire, if you forget to set the pressure on the second or third tire and just hit play it will just keep going. Canā€™t say for sure that is what happened but seems likely based on your description.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
For that price, you should just go ahead and buy one from ARB,

For a bit more money, you can go for top of the line from Powertank
https://powertank.com/pages/ventoso-tire-inflator-gauges
According to Amazon Iā€™ve had the linked gauge since 2018 for a fraction of the ARB one. The first one I got broke after 6 months, a plastic piece broke off. The seller sent out 2 units as a free replacement. Itā€™s been rock solid ever since. I confirm my pressures with TPMS as well as a 2nd digital gauge. *My tires on my Tesla fills between 40-47psi. Have not used it beyond 50psi.

AstroAI Digital Tire Inflator with Pressure Gauge, 250 PSI Air Chuck and Compressor Accessories Heavy Duty with Rubber Hose and Quick Connect Coupler for 0.1 Display Resolution, Gifts for Men. https://a.co/d/dlVdulj

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

According to Amazon Iā€™ve had the linked gauge since 2018 for a fraction of the ARB one. The first one I got broke after 6 months, a plastic piece broke off. The seller sent out 2 units as a free replacement. Itā€™s been rock solid ever since. I confirm my pressures with TPMS as well as a 2nd digital gauge. *My tires on my Tesla fills between 40-47psi. Have not used it beyond 50psi.

AstroAI Digital Tire Inflator with Pressure Gauge, 250 PSI Air Chuck and Compressor Accessories Heavy Duty with Rubber Hose and Quick Connect Coupler for 0.1 Display Resolution, Gifts for Men. https://a.co/d/dlVdulj
Itā€™s all good man. Iā€™ve had the ARB for just over 6 years without a problem. I do A LOT of off roading so itā€™s rock solid. Iā€™ve got a powertank inflator too. It came with a powertank but Iā€˜ve only used it once since the ARB is still kickin.

At the end of the day, youā€™re buying ARBā€™s or Powertankā€™s reputation for high quality products.

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Thanks for sharing this. I bought on your recommendation and got it today. Itā€™s perfect, made accurately airing down my tires a breeze and fits nicely in the sub-frunk next to my portable charging kit and battery jumping kit/device.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I know I have done something similar. You have to set the pressure for every tire, if you forget to set the pressure on the second or third tire and just hit play it will just keep going. Canā€™t say for sure that is what happened but seems likely based on your description.
This is my experience too. If you take too long between tires the compressor system resets into strictly being an "On" setting. If you intentionally set the pressure between every fill (up then down) it will work like you expect it to.
Personally I would have preferred another button for "always on". Room for improvement for sure.
Sponsored