First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
About to go hear the pumpkins live in concert, excellent choice and good to know it's on the list!
Oh yea! That was only one I listed, but many other pumpkins songs sound great on Meridian too! Enjoy concert!
Sponsored

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
Oh yea! That was only one I listed, but many other pumpkins songs sound great on Meridian too! Enjoy concert!
Tinitis, here I come! 🤣

🤘:rock:

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Tinitis, here I come! 🤣

🤘:rock:
My left ear crackles, so at least I have that going for me....thanks alot thinking I needed to be 10-20 feet from speakers at concerts..for too long....(not that I have learned from my ways...hahaha!)

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I cant get enough of the audio system in the Rivian I tell people its like my home audio system more than any other car audio I've been in. The frequency's and tones are so crisp and clear its like all other cars I've been in the notes all get mixed together and are over bassed.

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
I ran an RTA (real time analyzer) a while back and came up with these EQ settings for a flat, natural response. I found the highs were a bit over done and caused a ringing. Also a bit missing in the mid-range. I move the 63hz up a little for some music when I want more sub. I do NOT like the 3D sound as being 6'4" the surround sound speakers are right by my head and it is way too loud on the side for me.

Everyone has their own preference. I like to start as flat or as natural as possible and adjust from there. Also different kinds of music are going to need different EQs if you want to get into that. I wish that the Rivian system let you save your own custom EQ patterns.

1664817182063.png
I have tuned many a car audio system with a 31 band RTA and the slope you look for is never "flat" You are always looking for smooth with a bass boost to compensate for road noise.
The screen usually looks like a slow slope down from left to right.

Having said that, the settings you have accomplished may be smoothing out the respoonse as best as possible. I havent taken my RTA in the car yet so I could not comment on your curve.

PK

Sponsored

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I wonder how the sound compares between the R1S and the R1T. The subwoofer is in a different location and the interior space is a lot different.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
After lots of testing, switching back and forth and experimentation, I've found that for me 3D Enhanced set to off gives the better audio quality. With it being off, the music is much more tight and accurate, where 3D Enhanced sounds good initially but starts to grate on the ears at times and you can hear wandering bass and overly sharp highs -- vocals also seem to get pushed to the back. Just one person's opinion. I'd describe myself as a passionate audio enthusiast, but not necessarily an audiophile.
3D Enhanced for me creates audible white noise static, particularly from the speaker next to the driver's ear. It's clear when you turn it on and off the noise comes with it. That's actually the only noticeable change from turning on that setting for me.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
This is what cracks me up about everyone bragging about how amazing Amazon Music or other non-built-in audio sources sound. They might have some amazing source quality, but it is totally irrelevant and still is destroyed by the BT audio bottleneck. If Rivian chose to license and add AptX it would make an incredible difference.
Amazon Music is streamed direct from the source and not over BT in the Rivian, when played through Alexa. Technically speaking it's similar to "casting". It actually used to show as much with it being synced to your phone app, so you could actually control the music in the truck via the app via casting (not BT), but that disappeared a couple updates ago.

That being said, officially you cannot confirm what bitrate is being streamed when you "cast" Amazon Music, you can only see it when you play from within your phone or desktop app. But, given how the casting works, I imagine with a strong connection it's the same.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
It's actually about 10x.
We think. Since the Rivian system doesn't quantify the current bitrate, or even allow setting the 'quality' with respect to Amazon Music, we are left to subjective measures of bitrate. You are 100% correct that the supported bitrate of Amazon Music HD (3730 kbps) is significantly higher than Spotify (320 kbps), Rivian and Amazon just need to make sure we get that full bitrate.

Sponsored

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I pay the extra for Amazon music to get the full HD streaming and it seems to come across pretty well on Bluetooth. Bitrate on BT depends on the version on both ends, not sure what version the Rivian has, I think 5.0, might be older. Too much compression is the main issue, not necessarily the bitrate as much.

The side speakers are putting out mostly higher frequencies to make it feel more like your surrounded by the music. I like the 3D sound when the volume is low and its more for background. Really I listen to the music pretty loud most of the time and like the soundstage in front of me as much as possible.

These are all preferences and everyone has their own preferences, none are more right or wrong than anyone else. Its just that a preference, if you are a not enjoying the music because you are setting your EQ based off of what someone else tells you then that's not right. I recommend to anyone to make small adjustments and find what you like. I will add that taking away EQ is going to be better than adding it. Adding EQ tends to add distortion especially at higher volume. If you want to have more bass and more treble then take away the mid range more first instead of just cranking up the bass and treble.

FYI the RTA program I used on my smartphone is called Audio Tool and uses the internal mic on my Samsung S21 Ultra. I don't have access to anything high end but my ears told me it could sound better and the software RTA helped confirm my suspensions. I just ran white noise and slid the EQ bars up and down until I got a relatively flat bar graph. I held my phone in front of my face as close to my ears as possible.

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
When Mark from Savagegeese tests and identifies that this Meridian is any good, then I'll believe all the hype. To my uneducated ear, this system is nowhere near the HIFI HK in common BMWs

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I pay the extra for Amazon music to get the full HD streaming and it seems to come across pretty well on Bluetooth. Bitrate on BT depends on the version on both ends, not sure what version the Rivian has, I think 5.0, might be older. Too much compression is the main issue, not necessarily the bitrate as much.
While that may be true if Bluetooth is the limiting factor with regard to throughput, using the in vehicle Alexa with Amazon Music doesn't need/use Bluetooth.

Bop

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2020
Occupation
Retired
Hey everyone, since this is an audio thread I will let you know how I am progressing with my audio testing.

Over bluetooth the results have been....disappointing to say the least. The best codec I can get the truck to negotiate to on a regular basis is AAC. It doesn't even seem to support AptX at all (already thought this but my testing is confirming it). Now that I have my truck back from the wrap shop I am going to be doing some frequency analysis using some pink/white/brown noise sources and some studio microphones inside the cabin.

Specifically I am going to be comparing Spotify in different configurations to Bluetooth. So far I am still seeing that the audio sources we have available don't make good use of the Meridian system.
Thank you Tony I'm looking forward to your testing results.
Sponsored