Older Iphones not working on R1T

Titanium91352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Design Engineeer
Ever since the last software release I have had issues putting the vehicle in drive or reverse. I have owned the truck for two months now and except for slow response time, I use my Iphone as the key.

Now, when I jump in and toggle drive it says to place my key next to the door panel. I try my Iphone, Nothing. I try my Key fob, nothing. I exit and enter the vehicle, nothing. Yesterday it took five minutes for me to get into Drive mode.

Just talked to Service, they say the vehicle doesn't work with Iphone 6 and to disable it from the Driver Key. Not sure what they did to make the older iphone not work anymore. Just an FYI for guys like me who don't chase the latest Iphone version
and use a phone for text, email, and calling.
Sponsored

Reactions: Rad

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You obviously have a right to use whatever phone you like, but there is a huge difference between "chasing the latest iPhone" and being 7 models behind the current one (not counting the 14 which will be released soon). :tumbleweed:

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, the iPhone 6 came out 8 years ago and isn’t supported in the latest iOS release. Rivian has to draw the line somewhere of not QA testing certain versions. I don’t know their specifics obviously, but I wouldn’t call it crazy to think that they would only test phones that can run the latest versions of both iOS and Android.

OP
OP

Titanium91352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Design Engineeer
I understand your point. But as a counter to it, the Iphone has an up to date operating system and we are talking about a simple handshake of "hello, its me.....you opened the door for me when you recognized my iphone, but to go into drive is too much to ask. " If it was a security issue, why open the door?

All good. Just a polite FYI.....

Reactions: Rad

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I understand your point. But as a counter to it, the Iphone has an up to date operating system and we are talking about a simple handshake of "hello, its me.....you opened the door for me when you recognized my iphone, but to go into drive is too much to ask. " If it was a security issue, why open the door?

Understood. I'm sure you aren't the only person who will run into this issue. As @frostbit3 said, if Apple stops supporting it, that's pretty much the end of the road. Rivian didn't have much choice either. After another few updates it may not even function properly as a key for you.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Since you're doing FYIs, the spot on the door will only work with the key cards and wrist band. Not the fob or a phone.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
So the fob doesn't work as a driver key?
The fob works like a regular old keyless entry fob. Press buttons to lock/unlock, etc.

it does have Bluetooth 5.2 in it so it could presumably work as a passive key at some point.

your iPhone 6 and my iPhone SE both have Bluetooth 4.2. The rivian seems to now require Bluetooth 5 or newer.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)

I'm pretty sure this is customer service saying that if the phone is not listed by Rivian as able to run the latest iOS (well past the v12.5 the iPhone 6 has), then they're not going to test it and if it works or doesn't is just luck of the draw. That said, since your key fob isn't working right either then it certainly seems like it's not the device but the vehicle.

OP
OP

Titanium91352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Design Engineeer
Service did walk me through disconnecting my iphone (turn off Bluetooth) and using just the key fob and it did let me put it in drive.
Sponsored