Sponsored

Oh brother, they are trying a little too hard….

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
With a Jeep you can do anything and just follow it up with "it's a Jeep thing". Can't do that with the Rivian.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

With a Jeep you can do anything and just follow it up with "it's a Jeep thing". Can't do that with the Rivian.
Rivian is now what Jeep could have been if FCA (and now Stellantis) had even a modicum of ingenuity. Instead you get a Wrangler 4 door with a 30 mile all electric range that's a "game changer" and the same awful road driving experience from 40 years ago.

Doing anything a Jeep can do and then torching a Corvette in a standing 1/4 mile? That's a Rivian Thing.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silly comparison. That Jeep is in a bigger size class than the R1S. If anything, the proper comparison is the Grand Cherokee. Its the right size and right price to compare with the R1S.

Im currently on my 4th Grand Cherokee in a row and I've enjoyed them all.

I'm in a 14 JGC now. It's had issues. But like all cars, they have issues. Haha I mean after all, JGC were the ones that decided to stay in gear and randomly run over people, including killing an actor.

That being said, I've put 125k miles on it and IF they weren't being the slowest converting to full EV, I'd keep Jeep on my list. I mean seriously JGC EV would be in my driveway right now, but nope.....

Given that, 5 seater R1S was my replacement plan for GC . I guess 7 seater R1S will be my replacement - because someone else thought I wanted a Wagoneer replacement....

Sponsored

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian is now what Jeep could have been if FCA (and now Stellantis) had even a modicum of ingenuity. Instead you get a Wrangler 4 door with a 30 mile all electric range that's a "game changer" and the same awful road driving experience from 40 years ago.

Doing anything a Jeep can do and then torching a Corvette in a standing 1/4 mile? That's a Rivian Thing.
Yeah I'd say Jeeps nowadays are overrated imo (unless you really want a car where you can take everything apart) but I will say the the Wrangler 4xe is a game changer in a way. I see them all over the place and it's good at getting peoples feet wet with electrification. Even with the low EV range they don't need to worry about range. It was just one of the only off roaders thats a plug in hybrid and not many people will even consider a Rivian, Hummer EV or Lightning because there is no ICE "safety net" that they are used to.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

it is true though... you can manipulate data to tell any story you want.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I'm in a 14 JGC now. It's had issues. But like all cars, they have issues. Haha I mean after all, JGC were the ones that decided to stay in gear and randomly run over people, including killing an actor.

That being said, I've put 125k miles on it and IF they weren't being the slowest converting to full EV, I'd keep Jeep on my list. I mean seriously JGC EV would be in my driveway right now, but nope.....

Given that, 5 seater R1S was my replacement plan for GC . I guess 7 seater R1S will be my replacement - because someone else thought I wanted a Wagoneer replacement....
I currently have a 2019. Before that, I had a 2015, which had the same electronically actuated shifter that you have in your 2014. The vehicle never randomly stayed in gear, running people over. It was 100% driver error for failing to put the vehicle into Park. That's how the actor from Star Trek died. It was tragic, but it was his own error that ultimately caused his demise. As a result, Jeep changed the shifter design. It's still the same electronically controlled shifter, but it has conventional detents now to help avoid the human error factor. They also included an interlock that will automatically put the transmission into Park if the driver's door is opened with the engine running. This is pretty standard on all new cars now.

Last edited:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Like all legacy automakers, Jeep will get there. It's just a matter of time. Startups like Rivian should be thankful that legacy automakers have been slow to adopt this technology because that's the only thing that's allowing them to get their foot in the door.

Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As a result, Jeep changed the shifter design. It's still the se electronically controlled shifter, but it has conventional detents now to help avoid the human error.
To be fair, this is one of the things I love about my model year. I tried a 2020 at one point, hated the shifter because it was different.

I cant wait til R1S and it's a flick into D and back to center. Just like it should be.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
To be fair, this is one of the things I love about my model year. I tried a 2020 at one point, hated the shifter because it was different.

I cant wait til R1S and it's a flick into D and back to center. Just like it should be.
I had both and never had a problem with either design, but I prefer the conventional detent design, probably because that's what I've been familiar with for my entire life. My 2015 was pretty simple to just click back into drive too, so I'm not really complaining, but apparently a lot of people didn't prefer that design.

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

Well, maybe s00n.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I currently have a 2019. Before that, I had a 2015, which had the same electronically actuated shifter that you have in your 2014. The vehicle never randomly stayed in gear, running people over. It was 100% driver error for failing to put the vehicle into Park. That's how the actor from Star Trek died. It was tragic, but it was his own error that ultimately caused his demise. As a result, Jeep changed the shifter design. It's still the same electronically controlled shifter, but it has conventional detents now to help avoid the human error factor. They also included an interlock that will automatically put the transmission into Park if the driver's door is opened with the engine running. This is pretty standard on all new cars now.
Exactly. That’s why the Rivians go into Park when people are trying to drive with a door open or lifting off the driver‘s seat without a seatbelt on, often when maneuvering with a trailer. This protects the driver when conditions are met which could mean the driver is exiting the vehicle while the vehicle is in anything other than Park.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Exactly. That’s why the Rivians go into Park when people are trying to drive with a door open or lifting off the driver‘s seat without a seatbelt on, often when maneuvering with a trailer. This protects the driver when conditions are met which could mean the driver is exiting the vehicle while the vehicle is in anything other than Park.
As far as I know, all new vehicles do this now. I guess they just need to protect us from our own stupidity.
Sponsored