Sponsored

Oh brother, they are trying a little too hard….

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

As far as I know, all new vehicles do this now. I guess they just need to protect us from our own stupidity.
Yeah, pretty much anything with an electronic shifter.

I had a Fusion PHEV with a rotary shifter. If you triggered the interlock if would light the Park LED and go into Park while physically rotating the knob back to Park. It seemed a little excessive to me at first, but made sense because the knob wouldn’t rotate past Drive or Park. Having the stops was nice because you could tell by feel if you were in Park (twist counter-clockwise until it stops) or Drive (twist clockwise until it stops). If it just spun freely like some do they could’ve just put it in Park, lit the Park LED, and avoided the mechanical complexity.
Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Silly comparison. That Jeep is in a bigger size class than the R1S. If anything, the proper comparison is the Grand Cherokee. Its the right size and right price to compare with the R1S.

Im currently on my 4th Grand Cherokee in a row and I've enjoyed them all. Thats 25 years owning Grand Cherokees and every one of them has been completely reliable without a single issue, just normal maintainence. They've all been comfortable and very capable. And I've considered replacing my current Grand Cherokee with an R1S, so I'm definitely a cross shopper, but i made the decision to go with another Grand Cherokee for my next new car purchase and then maybe go electric in the future if eveything continues to improve with EVs.
You know, come to think of it I never had any issues with my former Jeep Grand Cherokee either..... right up to the point that the alternator, fuel pump and transmission all went out at the same time, leaving me stranded for two weeks in beautiful downtown Tonopah, Nevada, in the middle of summer one year. It was so awesome that I will never, ever consider a Jeep anything in this lifetime.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
You know, come to think of it I never had any issues with my former Jeep Grand Cherokee either..... right up to the point that the alternator, fuel pump and transmission all went out at the same time, leaving me stranded for two weeks in beautiful downtown Tonopah, Nevada, in the middle of summer one year. It was so awesome that I will never, ever consider a Jeep anything in this lifetime.
Cool story, bro. You should have played the lottery that day because you'd have better odds of hitting Powerball than have your alternator, fuel pump, and transmission fail at the same time. Then again, you might just be a very unlucky person who would have experienced catastrophic failure in any vehicle. Cant wait to see your future thread about total battery failure.....lol

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Yeah, pretty much anything with an electronic shifter.

I had a Fusion PHEV with a rotary shifter. If you triggered the interlock if would light the Park LED and go into Park while physically rotating the knob back to Park. It seemed a little excessive to me at first, but made sense because the knob wouldn’t rotate past Drive or Park. Having the stops was nice because you could tell by feel if you were in Park (twist counter-clockwise until it stops) or Drive (twist clockwise until it stops). If it just spun freely like some do they could’ve just put it in Park, lit the Park LED, and avoided the mechanical complexity.
The newest generation Grand Cherokee has the rotary shift knob. My cousin has one and she said it took some time to get used to it.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Why were you driving to Tonopah Nevada from the Jeep Dealership?

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Why were you driving to Tonopah Nevada from the Jeep Dealership?
Because it’s where all Jeep Grand Cherokee’s go to die. Just ask anyone outside of New Jersey.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Cool story, bro. You should have played the lottery that day because you'd have better odds of hitting Powerball than have your alternator, fuel pump, and transmission fail at the same time.
"Insa."

MooreND23

First Name
MicHael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Yukon Denali XL, 2019 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Physician
Clubs

Silly comparison. That Jeep is in a bigger size class than the R1S. If anything, the proper comparison is the Grand Cherokee. Its the right size and right price to compare with the R1S.

Im currently on my 4th Grand Cherokee in a row and I've enjoyed them all. Thats 25 years owning Grand Cherokees and every one of them has been completely reliable without a single issue, just normal maintainence. They've all been comfortable and very capable. And I've considered replacing my current Grand Cherokee with an R1S, so I'm definitely a cross shopper, but i made the decision to go with another Grand Cherokee for my next new car purchase and then maybe go electric in the future if eveything continues to improve with EVs.
You’ve clearly never owned their Eco-Diesel Grand Cherokee. Loved the car all the way up until the point the engine blew at 35k miles due to manufacturing defect. And loved it again, 3 months later when I got it back until the glow rod went out. Prompt sold it. Did dig the car but those diesels were hot garbage. Glad you have had luck though.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
You’ve clearly never owned their Eco-Diesel Grand Cherokee. Loved the car all the way up until the point the engine blew at 35k miles due to manufacturing defect. And loved it again, 3 months later when I got it back until the glow rod went out. Prompt sold it. Did dig the car but those diesels were hot garbage. Glad you have had luck though.
Correct. I'd never even consider owning a diesel vehicle of any kind. Never have, never will.
Sponsored