SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Honestly, the Munro guys did a through review and laid out fixes that could be implemented quickly without having to do a complete redesign. Pretty straightforward stuff.

Video starts at their suggestions for running changes.

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm just telling myself it's taking so long due to extremely through design reviews and validation of the new cover. It is going to work perfectly and will be totally silent... Right?

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm just telling myself it's taking so long due to extremely through design reviews and validation of the new cover. It is going to work perfectly and will be totally silent... Right?
Based on the lack of testing done on the original cover and several of these OTA updates - probably not.

Stress testing would’ve been so easy too. Find a couple college kids and pay them $10/hour and a 30 rack of NattyLight to sit there and cycle the tonneau all day and note every time it has an issue.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Money out always takes multitudes of time compared to money in. Fastest moving department in any company = accounts receivable. Slowest = accounts payable.

Sponsored

jkennebeck

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure
Clubs

I just bought an R1T from a dealer, guess it was traded in. The cover was "inoperable" when I got it and I had read during my research that there were issues but that it was going to be fixed by a redesign. There is no control in the UI at present in the cab. And the button does nothing. So I assume its been disabled.

So to be sure I was on the radar for a fix, I submitted a ticket about an hour ago from the Rivian app. I just stated I wanted to be on the books for a repair when it came available.
About 5 minutes ago my phone rang and it was Rivian Service letting me know that the ticket was open and well received. He also told me that he hears that they are hoping for a fix "sometime next month" and that all powered cover owners would be getting a mass email on it "very soon".

just wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised to even get a phone call on it. very refreshing.
keep your fingers crossed.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

My guide just confirmed my fear regarding their process for putting the Power Tonneau Cover back into production. Rivian plans to see how the fix works in existing customer vehicles first.

This will likely take months. My speculation is that we aren't going to see it in production until Q4 2023 or Q1 2024. That is a huge bummer since I have delayed my 2021 order so that I can take delivery with a power cover.

Here is the excerpt from my Gude:

Rivian R1T R1S Officially Unofficial R1T Power Tonneau Cover Redesign Gossip Thread Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 8.14.18 PM

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Personally I am hoping one of our aftermarket companies that have designed products such as superior running boards would either offer an upgrade kit to retrofit the existing mechanical tonneau system or a completely new tonneau replacement that would be plug and play

Realize we have all paid for a tonneau that does not work but that seems to be somewhat commonplace these days that you have to go outside for a fix

Like the phone charger

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I just bought an R1T from a dealer, guess it was traded in. The cover was "inoperable" when I got it and I had read during my research that there were issues but that it was going to be fixed by a redesign. There is no control in the UI at present in the cab. And the button does nothing. So I assume its been disabled.

So to be sure I was on the radar for a fix, I submitted a ticket about an hour ago from the Rivian app. I just stated I wanted to be on the books for a repair when it came available.
About 5 minutes ago my phone rang and it was Rivian Service letting me know that the ticket was open and well received. He also told me that he hears that they are hoping for a fix "sometime next month" and that all powered cover owners would be getting a mass email on it "very soon".

just wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised to even get a phone call on it. very refreshing.
keep your fingers crossed.
They did that very quick instragram video and now mid summer (August?) for the fix to start rolling out

Sponsored

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
My truck is almost a year old and while the power cover still works I operate it as little as possible for fear of it breaking down. The day my truck was delivered I noticed the cover did not close completely flush as designed, maybe by 1/2 inch. While that is not fatal I did report it right away and sent in a video as requested. My fear is they will come out with a fix after my warranty is up and tell me I'm SOL!

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Has anyone heard anything new about a replacement for our power tonneau covers? My current guide is less than helpful with info. As I told him, it was a known issue before the truck was released, never work for me from day one, now 13 months of ownership I need it operational. Last weekend when I needed the open bed, I just ripped it off and tossed it.

Rivian R1T R1S Officially Unofficial R1T Power Tonneau Cover Redesign Gossip Thread IMG_1103

Rivian R1T R1S Officially Unofficial R1T Power Tonneau Cover Redesign Gossip Thread IMG_1104

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Absolutely zip on my end. I think my Guide is officially over me asking about the Tonneau too.

He told me that the Tonneau likely won't re-enter production until the replacements are installed and tested in customer vehicles.

I am STILL WAITING for my R1T which I was supposed to have arrived in December/January but that I "paused" until the tonneau was back in production.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Absolutely zip on my end. I think my Guide is officially over me asking about the Tonneau too.

He told me that the Tonneau likely won't re-enter production until the replacements are installed and tested in customer vehicles.

I am STILL WAITING for my R1T which I was supposed to have arrived in December/January but that I "paused" until the tonneau was back in production.
Things like "being tested in customer vehicles" is pretty absurd. These better be well sorted at the rollout or talk about a mess.....this isn't a 8th grade science project with trial and error for years to come....

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

They pulled the tonneau cover from production 9 months ago. That should have been plenty of time to redesign and stress test the cover in testing environments and employee owned vehicles.

My fear is they have deprioritized the R1T since they have a much larger demand signal for R1S so they aren't in a hurry to do anything.
Sponsored