First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Not many official updates but a lot of anecdotal things from people who have talked to CS or rivian service and who are being told that they likely won't ever release a fix.

I don't buy that. I think it would really look bad for them if they don't come out with a second generation power cover, especially after everything that they have been promising for months now.
I had a service tech come out to calibrate my seats today and according to him they are going to offer the manual cover and not offer any fix to the power cover. Obviously this isn't an official decision but he said it's being talked about pretty widespread internally in the company.
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I had a service tech come out to calibrate my seats today and according to him they are going to offer the manual cover and not offer any fix to the power cover. Obviously this isn't an official decision but he said it's being talked about pretty widespread internally in the company.
Knew it!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

If manual tonneau is lockable, then fine by me.
It would likely still require the tailgate to be open to remove, so it would be lockable

Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

The biggest issue for me is that the manual cover - which no evidence exists that it is actually real - would take up space in either the bed or the gear tunnel when it isn't used while the space that Rivian planned to have the power cover sit in goes unused. Then there is the pain of having to take it off and on.

If they don't provide a power cover, that would push me into an R1S.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I sure hope they offer full refund of powered cover cost. That or they better start fixing customers covers that are broken. Just deciding to stop repairing them and offer a lesser solution is not an acceptable solution.

Boudro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV & Tacoma
Tech that visited me said will get option for dual motor or a manual cover.

Sponsored

pathfinder2

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 4runner, KS S18
Occupation
Software Design Engineer
Any new gossip on the tonneau cover redesign? Anyone have anything new from a Guide or CS?
I broke down and converted from Max Pack to Quad Large yesterday. During that conversation I had mentioned that the auto tonneau cover was a deciding factor and were disappointed for the loss. I was told that the redesign should be ready by "summer" and I could be wait for delivery if it was a critical feature for me.

I did find it odd that they added that if I heard any news about it being available earlier to get back in contact so they could update my configuration as soon as possible. I would think they would have that information before me haha...

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Worth noting that the techs will have a more active rumor mill than we do, but not necessarily a more accurate one.

We'll know the truth when we hear it from the horse's mouth.

I personally will be super upset if they give up on the redesign. Lockable manual is "fine," but I'd expect a significant refund. It's not what was promised.

(And outside of needing repair the day of delivery back in May 2022, my powered tonneau has been flawless. If they can fix the reliability, it's a great design, arguably best in class, and is exactly what I wanted from the truck.)

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I just hope to god they're stealing the manual design from the hyundai santa cruz and will have it fit where the power tonneau lives...

This is the way...

pathfinder2

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 4runner, KS S18
Occupation
Software Design Engineer
Well I am bummed... I changed my config from max pack to large yesterday. I communicated with my guide that I would wait for the powered tonneau redesign... and today I got my 8 steps email and had to contact my guide to be unmatched... If only they would retro fit...

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Well I am bummed... I changed my config from max pack to large yesterday. I communicated with my guide that I would wait for the powered tonneau redesign... and today I got my 8 steps email and had to contact my guide to be unmatched... If only they would retro fit...
People have said the R1 shop has trucks with covers right now. Ask your guide to match you to one. That's how I got mine.
Sponsored