SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

RIVIAN5 told me yesterday that the fix should be out in Q1 2023. Sounds like they are on track (pun intended)
That's the kind of 411 I was looking for! Thanks @Cogentfire.

Who is RIVIAN5? I'm assuming it isn't this guy?

Rivian R1T R1S Officially Unofficial R1T Power Tonneau Cover Redesign Gossip Thread 1671234620536
Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I have been given an invite to the R1 Shop! Of course, it doesn't do me any good since my reservation has been on hold until the power tonneau redesign happens.

I have been looking out of sheer curiosity for the last week and the tonneau cover filter option has been greyed out but today it was available and there were several configurations that came up (none included OC interior which I am holding pat on).

What are the odds that these are rejected vehicles? It has been over a month now that Rivian said it would not produce any power tonneau cover vehicles.

So, either these are rejects that have some how been rejected more than once and have been in the pool off and on, or maybe the redesign is happening? (unlikely).

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

BUMP!

Any new gossip on the tonneau cover redesign? Anyone have anything new from a Guide or CS?
Mobile tech who recalibrated my seats said they are "on track" for Q1 but he seemed to imply that should be taken with a grain of salt. It sounds like it could be late spring before it actually starts rolling out based on past experiences with this sort of thing.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Mobile tech who recalibrated my seats said they are "on track" for Q1 but he seemed to imply that should be taken with a grain of salt. It sounds like it could be late spring before it actually starts rolling out based on past experiences with this sort of thing.
Yup - that is my read on it. Or, there are some PT configurations still floating around.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I have been given an invite to the R1 Shop! Of course, it doesn't do me any good since my reservation has been on hold until the power tonneau redesign happens.

I have been looking out of sheer curiosity for the last week and the tonneau cover filter option has been greyed out but today it was available and there were several configurations that came up (none included OC interior which I am holding pat on).

What are the odds that these are rejected vehicles? It has been over a month now that Rivian said it would not produce any power tonneau cover vehicles.

So, either these are rejects that have some how been rejected more than once and have been in the pool off and on, or maybe the redesign is happening? (unlikely).
My truck was built in September and added to the shop in December, my guide can't tell me why its took so long, just that I got it the day it was added to the shop. It has the powered tonneau... which sounds so bad lol. It feels like a mistake truck, as it has 21's, a spare, and the underbody shield.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

My truck was built in September and added to the shop in December, my guide can't tell me why its tool so long. It has the powered tonneau... which sounds so bad lol.
Wow, that is a huge delay. How is the build quality, otherwise, @goldburger? At least you will be in line to get a redesigned power cover when it is available.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Wow, that is a huge delay. How is the build quality, otherwise, @goldburger? At least you will be in line to get a redesigned power cover when it is available.
I have a service appointment for my gear tunnel doors-- both are aligned poorly and differently-- but otherwise it's pretty fantastic and no major panel gap issues. Interior is perfect, software , windows, etc.

For sure I wanted to make sure I got the retro fit option-- my guide put me as NOT READY but he's the best guide ever and was actively looking at the shop for me since I wasn't given access. The tonneau and forest green where my firm deal breakers and I got those!

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I have a service appointment for my gear tunnel doors-- both are aligned poorly and differently-- but otherwise it's pretty fantastic and no major panel gap issues. Interior is perfect, software , windows, etc.

For sure I wanted to make sure I got the retro fit option-- my guide put me as NOT READY but he's the best guide ever and was actively looking at the shop for me since I wasn't given access. The tonneau and forest green where my firm deal breakers and I got those!
That's awesome @goldburger. Glad your guide went the extra mile. I have been very happy with my guide as well. It is odd though that even though I was also in a "not ready" status, I still got access to the shop. Very random.

Apologies to those of you patiently waiting and who would otherwise be willing to take a truck in the "shop" if you had access. Hopefully you will get access s00n.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
That's awesome @goldburger. Glad your guide went the extra mile. I have been very happy with my guide as well. It is odd though that even though I was also in a "not ready" status, I still got access to the shop. Very random.

Apologies to those of you patiently waiting and who would otherwise be willing to take a truck in the "shop" if you had access. Hopefully you will get access s00n.
People are saying there are trucks with powered covers in the shop— did you pounce?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

People are saying there are trucks with powered covers in the shop— did you pounce?
I have shop access (for however long one has access for). I check daily. For a few weeks, there was nothing. The last week or two a few have popped up but not in a configuration or color I would want.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Still no update looks like
Not many official updates but a lot of anecdotal things from people who have talked to CS or rivian service and who are being told that they likely won't ever release a fix.

I don't buy that. I think it would really look bad for them if they don't come out with a second generation power cover, especially after everything that they have been promising for months now.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Not many official updates but a lot of anecdotal things from people who have talked to CS or rivian service and who are being told that they likely won't ever release a fix.

I don't buy that. I think it would really look bad for them if they don't come out with a second generation power cover, especially after everything that they have been promising for months now.
Neither do I. Power tonneau is kind of a big deal to me. I will be unhappy if it doesn't get fixed. I don't mind waiting for a redesign though. Heck I waited a whole year for the truck, I can wait a few months for the tonneau cover.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Neither do I. Power tonneau is kind of a big deal to me. I will be unhappy if it doesn't get fixed. I don't mind waiting for a redesign though. Heck I waited a whole year for the truck, I can wait a few months for the tonneau cover.
I am with you 100%. I've been patient to this point and I will wait to get what I want. If they cancel the redesign, or it looks like it is in limbo indefinitely, I would actually switch to the R1S.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I think unless they retrofit them to have a smaller roll-out design like the one below, they'll admit defeat on the power tonneau, remove the components on current models, replace the power switch at the back to be in line with non tonneau versions, and refund or offer something as compensation for the switch to manual tonneaus.

Rivian R1T R1S Officially Unofficial R1T Power Tonneau Cover Redesign Gossip Thread Screenshot_20230105_155316_Gallery
Sponsored