Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

People walk towards a clearly deadly tail rotor?

Except I’d be the one that has to clean up the mess and then replace a tail rotor assembly. That involves adding blades to the hub, weight and balancing, installation or the blade and hub assembly, blade tracking (which is a dangerous process) etc., etc…

Too much work for me to let Darwin do his job.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Except I’d be the one that has to clean up the mess and then replace a tail rotor assembly. That involves adding blades to the hub, weight and balancing, installation or the blade and hub assembly, blade tracking (which is a dangerous process) etc., etc…

Too much work for me to let Darwin do his job.
I don’t blame you. Honestly I’m surprised it could do that much damage to it. Seems like our human flesh sacks would be no match for that rotor.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Did my first mile drive today and my host told me that they have been specifically told NOT to open the power tonneaus, even to show a customer.
Had to go look at another truck w/o a tonneau to see the bed.
Thank you for the report @1shadowsabre. And bummer for those hoping to still get a power tonneau so that they can at least get the replacement.

What did you think of the R1T on your first mile drive? What color was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Alex, from AlexonAutos mentioned in his latest video on why he sold his Rivian that Rivian was redesigning the cover with a second motor. I'm not sure if this was just conjecture or if Alex has heard this directly from Rivian.

My updates for the day...

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
The stacking design has lots of merit, the execution of it by the supplier was lacking. Presumably there were also client demands to keep cost down.

you can have something done fast, cheap, or correctly. Pick two.
The stacking design has lots of merit, the execution of it by the supplier was lacking. Presumably there were also client demands to keep cost down.

you can have something done fast, cheap, or correctly. Pick two.
I'll take cheap and correctly please. Just out of curiosity what is the duration of un-fast, and when did the timer start?

SpaceCase

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3P, Model Y, Jeep YJ
Occupation
Specialty Electrical Supply
I’m taking delivery tomorrow and was told by the SC that I was one of the last to get the power tonneau however, they’re locking it in the open position until they decide which redesign they’re going with. SC said they may unlock it if R&D takes longer than expected but he didn’t think that would be the case.

Sponsored

1shadowsabre

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 Ram 1500 ecodiesel Honda Shadow Sabre
Thank you for the report @1shadowsabre. And bummer for those hoping to still get a power tonneau so that they can at least get the replacement.

What did you think of the R1T on your first mile drive? What color was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Alex, from AlexonAutos mentioned in his latest video on why he sold his Rivian that Rivian was redesigning the cover with a second motor. I'm not sure if this was just conjecture or if Alex has heard this directly from Rivian.

My updates for the day...
There were 7 Rivian RIT's in the lot.
One apparently was in for service as the front air suspension was not working.
There was a green one, a black one, 4 that were different shades of gray and a white one. (My order is a MaxPack White with Ocean Coast interior delivery date isn't until 2024)
The one I drove had the green interior and one of the gray exteriors and had a little less than 10000 miles on it. The fit and finish looked nice. It was quiet with no rattles and handled very well.
If I don't seem "overwhelmed" it is because I also have a Tesla Model 3 and am very familiar with how an EV drives.

All in all it seemed like a great truck and a shout out to the young man who hosted the test drive Hannaniah I believe. He was very personable and knowledgeable.

I am still not quite sure the Rivian will take the place of my truck as a tow vehicle though.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'll take cheap and correctly please. Just out of curiosity what is the duration of un-fast, and when did the timer start?
It’ll be done by wednesday*

*week, month, year are indefinite. But definitely Wednesday.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Now where’s the fun in that?

I remember, back in ye olden days, one of the great joys of being a UH-1H crewchief. Tackling the various idiots that walked towards my tail rotor.
CH-53 and CH-46, but yeah, samie samie.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

There were 7 Rivian RIT's in the lot.
One apparently was in for service as the front air suspension was not working.
There was a green one, a black one, 4 that were different shades of gray and a white one. (My order is a MaxPack White with Ocean Coast interior delivery date isn't until 2024)
The one I drove had the green interior and one of the gray exteriors and had a little less than 10000 miles on it. The fit and finish looked nice. It was quiet with no rattles and handled very well.
If I don't seem "overwhelmed" it is because I also have a Tesla Model 3 and am very familiar with how an EV drives.

All in all it seemed like a great truck and a shout out to the young man who hosted the test drive Hannaniah I believe. He was very personable and knowledgeable.

I am still not quite sure the Rivian will take the place of my truck as a tow vehicle though.
We have the same configuration minus the max pack. I was originally a max pack reservation holder but I ended up switching to the large pack to try and get a truck sometime in the next year.

I also decided that I'm just not going to realistically tow with this vehicle and the range of the large pack as a daily driver is going to be sufficient.

I would love to see the Limestone in person - that might be a color I would be willing to switch to, but every photograph looks different so I feel like I have to see it in person before deciding.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I don’t blame you. Honestly I’m surprised it could do that much damage to it. Seems like our human flesh sacks would be no match for that rotor.
Yea, it’s just honeycomb aluminum. Hitting anything at just below supersonic speed is going to do damage.

Sponsored

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wrangler, Tesla Model X
Clubs

I’m taking delivery tomorrow and was told by the SC that I was one of the last to get the power tonneau however, they’re locking it in the open position until they decide which redesign they’re going with. SC said they may unlock it if R&D takes longer than expected but he didn’t think that would be the case.
i got my truck a little over two weeks ago. It is a Launch Edition and had the power cover installed already. The SC delivered it with the cover open and said it would be “locked” open, but the button still worked to open and close it. When I first tried to close it, it got hung up, but once I got it aligned correctly, it’s worked fine since then. I’m careful about keeping debris out of the tracks and have put some lubricant in the tracks.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

i got my truck a little over two weeks ago. It is a Launch Edition and had the power cover installed already. The SC delivered it with the cover open and said it would be “locked” open, but the button still worked to open and close it. When I first tried to close it, it got hung up, but once I got it aligned correctly, it’s worked fine since then. I’m careful about keeping debris out of the tracks and have put some lubricant in the tracks.
Congrats on having a working cover - looks like you and your power tonneau cover...slipped through the cracks!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Did my first mile drive today and my host told me that they have been specifically told NOT to open the power tonneaus, even to show a customer.
Had to go look at another truck w/o a tonneau to see the bed.
To be fair, I got the same on my First Mile in November 2021. This has been an issue for a minute.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

BUMP!

Any new gossip on the tonneau cover redesign? Anyone have anything new from a Guide or CS?