First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
A glove box. The Tesla MX has a glove box but they also have a "map compartment" which is a little shelf under the center of the dash. You, presumably, put maps, sunglasses etc. in it and the first time you accelerate all the stuff in there winds up on the floor. Some enterprising 3rd party has a little drawer that goes in that slot and is held in place by friction. I have something like this in mind for the RIT. There is a rather large sort of tray on the floor beneath the center of the dash under the space where the A/C ducting is. I'm guessing some sort of tower held in place only by friction with the lip of the tray and a bit of velcro to the bottom of the A/C duct could hold a couple of small drawers like the one for the X. If anyone makes something like this I'll buy one.
Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

A little clarification on how big your Tesla Tap needs to be. Your truck will draw, at most, 48 A from an HPWC commissioned for a 60A breaker. Your Tesla tap should be derated to 80% the same as the HPWC and the circuit it is on. Therefore it should have the same capacity as the breaker; 60A. It will never see more than 48A but it must have the same 25% extra capacity to be NEC compliant. If you have a 50A TeslaTap it should not be used above 40 A etc.

I do have a pair of Gen2 HPWC (just installed a replacement for one that melted inside yesterday) that will do 80A and had an X that took 72 but I don't what I'd be able to plug those into other than one of the old Teslas. Those HPWC require a 100A circuit and a 100A Tesla Tap to plug into a 80A car or an 80A Tesla Tap to plug into a 72A car or a 60A Tesla Tap to serve your R1T.

For an R1T/S you need 60A to be code compliant and I leave it there. Those of you smarter than NFPA as a consequence of having your Electricity Merit Badges can do as you wish.
Not saying you’re wrong, but did you verify this with Dave from the UMC-J1772 Store? What if he already de-rated them in his design? IIRC, he designed the 80A versions with the Taycan 19.2 KW OBC option in mind, which would require 80A from the EVSE.

Also: Why did your Gen2 melt?:oops:

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Not saying you’re wrong, but did you verify this with Dave from the UMC-J1772 Store?
No.

What if he already de-rated them in his design?
Then he is very foolish not to make this very clear in his product descriptions.

Also: Why did your Gen2 melt?:oops:
I wish I knew! It didn't get used that much (one of a pair). It started reducing charge rates and I thought it was the sun shining on the handle but as it turned out it was in the EVSE itself. If you've been inside one of these you'll recall that if wired from above you land the conductors in a terminal block. From the bottom of the terminal block Tesla supplies three short multi strand (so they are relatively flexible - for No.3) which loop back up to connect to another terminal block on the PC board. That connection got hot and the terminal block melted. "Send me pictures" said the phone rep. i told her "I know what they will say" (not properly torqued). She agreed but said "Let's let them say it''. But they didn't say it and sent me a replacement unit.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
What if he already de-rated them in his design?
Then he is very foolish not to make this very clear in his product descriptions.
I just got a Lectron unit today and it does very plainly say that it shouldn't be used for current of more than 48A but it does NOT say that it is a 60A unit nor does the Amazon product description.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yesterday, I installed the HeatShield on the roof and windshield. I noticed a significant reduction in heat. Now I can hold the stearing wheel on a hot day. It was over 100F yesterday.
I used front and side on my truck this weekend visiting Boise in the mid to high 90s. Those alone controlled the internal truck temp to within about 10 degrees of ambient temp and obviously kept the steering wheel cool. At least in the temps I was in, I did not miss the roof cover at all.
Delivery last week. For a car so well thought out on so many fronts, the center console is sad design - it's truly a black hole with zero options for organizing and finding things. I cringe looking at the floor center as that's huge space offering little value - so much room for a wonderfully designed "box" or something. C'mon Rivian, this is an easy fix and huge oversight.
After doing a road trip with it, I very much appreciated the open space in both. I've put a small divider in the center console, and pull it out sometimes to put in a large diameter bottle. At least for me, I like the flexibility. And I generally have a few things in the floor space that otherwise would have been sitting on the passenger seat or rear floor because they don't have a great place to put them otherwise.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
More on the Lectron adapter: It has a couple of features that are new to me i.e. I don't think the Tesla Tap has them or the one I bought a couple of years ago didn't. The first, and relevant to the current discussion, is apparently it monitors the control pilot and if it sees a duty cycle indicating it is plugged into an HPWC or Destination Charger set for more than 48A it signals the HPWC causing the red light to flash (and inhibiting charging).

Second, it is equipped with a latch locking the Tesla wand into the adapter. With the TeslaTap it is just a friction fit.

Third, the J1772 latch button incorporates a microswitch which evidently opens the proximity circuit thus immediately stopping any ongoing charge.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
I had this console organizer for my Tacoma’s (smaller) black hole of a console… this would help my Rivian a lot. Any 3d printer owners want to take a stab at making a set?
This was a very simple, elegant solution to what quickly turns into a very annoying cluttered mess (which is worse in the R1T due to larger depth and overall volume).

https://a.co/d/daR39sV

lifezzgood

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I had this console organizer for my Tacoma’s (smaller) black hole of a console… this would help my Rivian a lot. Any 3d printer owners want to take a stab at making a set?
This was a very simple, elegant solution to what quickly turns into a very annoying cluttered mess (which is worse in the R1T due to larger depth and overall volume).

https://a.co/d/daR39sV
I'd buy one in heartbeat. While I'm generally happy with R1T, I'm extremely disappointed by how pathetic the storage is inside the cab. Something as simple as where to put my reg/insurance - yes, side pocket but that's already being used because there's so little storage. The center console is simply a DEEP black hole which quickly becomes the catch all for way too much. I can't believe we spend $90K and then deal with stupid things like this- C'mon Rivian, this is an easy fix and one you should take on asap.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
I'd buy one in heartbeat. While I'm generally happy with R1T, I'm extremely disappointed by how pathetic the storage is inside the cab. Something as simple as where to put my reg/insurance - yes, side pocket but that's already being used because there's so little storage. The center console is simply a DEEP black hole which quickly becomes the catch all for way too much. I can't believe we spend $90K and then deal with stupid things like this- C'mon Rivian, this is an easy fix and one you should take on asap.
edit: I should clarify that I’m disappointed with the small item storage. Overall storage is great, just not for things like sunglasses, charge cables, headlamps, edc items, small tools/knives, documents, etc.
/edit

I too am very disappointed with the storage in this truck. I couldn't believe there were only two cupholders (not counting the middle ones in the back seat). My tacoma had two in the front center, two at the back of the front console (for rear passengers, but also accessible by front passengers, which I often used to place small items), and one on each of the four doors.

Stationary cupholders (not the fold out kind) are useful for more than just cups/waterbottles, and the Rivian has none! I usually end up using unused ones for smaller odds and ends.

The lack of a glovebox is annoying, and I agree that there is no good place to place documents. While I still don't have my registration (due to Rivian taking forever for this to push through), I won't have a good place to put it when I do, and my insurance paper is just floating around in the giant glovebox with sunglasses cases, charge cords, my MagSafe puck (since wireless charging doesn't work), some napkins, a headlamp, etc, etc.

I also can't believe there aren't any overhead dedicated sunglass storage compartments. The seat compartments work, but its much more awkward to grab/stow while driving.

It seems that Rivian took a few too many notes from Tesla: specifically what I guess I'd call the "forced minimalism" approach. I remember when my dad first got his 2015 Model S I was astounded at there being no door compartments, no compartment under the screen (which the R1T currently has), no glovebox... It just seemed like it was designed by people who don't spend much time in their vehicles, or don't own/depend on gear to live their lives/work their jobs.

On a different slightly off-topic rant, but in the same vein: I also think that the migration to screen-only interface is still a mistake. Why should HVAC vent direction be controlled by motors, when fingers work instantly, and they stay put where you leave them? Also one less thing to break. Likewise, I think the most basic frequently accessed things like fan speed, cabin temperature, etc. should have their own knobs and be able to be controlled while your eyes are on the road, rather than a few taps in a menu system. All frequently accessed functions should orient themselves closest to the driver (clock, music control widget, etc.). I was amazed at how many important items were at the bottom of the huge vertical screen on the Tesla, and am similarly baffled at how many frequently accessed functions are on the far right of the Rivian screen. But I digress...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Emmett Stone

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 P, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
I just put my insurance card in the fold out compartment under the driver’s seat.

lifezzgood

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I just put my insurance card in the fold out compartment under the driver’s seat.
Of course you can find a spot but that's where I keep my wallet and glasses because I got tired of trying to find either in the deep dark hole of the center console. My point is we shouldn't even be having this convo -- compartmentalized/handy storage near the driver is a pretty standard expectation, let alone for a luxury car.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Why should Rivian change their design philosophy to cater to yours, when there are plenty of options that already exist that do?? Do you demand a chimichanga at a Greek restaurant? And in this case, do you demand that after ordering baba ganoush, it be remade into a chimichanga?
Never trust a person that orders a chimichanga

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Of course you can find a spot but that's where I keep my wallet and glasses because I got tired of trying to find either in the deep dark hole of the center console. My point is we shouldn't even be having this convo -- compartmentalized/handy storage near the driver is a pretty standard expectation, let alone for a luxury car.
Registration and insurance cards are held in the center console by the elastic strap. Which is fine because I literally hope I never need to get them out. How often do you need access to these documents?

Sunglasses in under seat compartment. It's not cumbersome at all for me to retrieve and store them as needed.

Wallet sits on the charging pad if I need it, in w/ my glasses if I don't.

Center console holds my charging cable (because the wireless charger is worthless) and mask. I also have a water bottle I keep in there.

I actually think the way the storage is organized keeps me from just dumping crap into the truck. I have yet to find a home for something that I need regularly.

I do wish there were two more cup holders up front.

In the end it works for me, and what you're suggesting might not. Designers have a goal when they build a product, and those goals aren't congruent with everyone's needs and expectations. That doesn't make them a "miss" it just makes them a bad fit for some folks.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Has anyone had issues tinting the front windows? I was wondering if the small triangular panes caused any grief?
Any experienced tinter shouldn't have any issue. My tinter did mine. Not an issue for them at all. Should be easier if anything, since it's such a small piece.
Sponsored

Last edited: