Officially Unofficial R1T Aftermarket Accessories Discussion + Reviews

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
These pages are stored on servers, so let's shoot for as many as we need—no console storage needed!
And even if console storage were needed, there's plenty of room deep in the unorganized black hole of a console! 🤣

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Design is always about compromises, but this set of compromises does indeed feel like a "miss" to me when they could have fairly easily made a win-win set of storage organizational design decisions that could cater to both minimalists and maximalists and anyone that lies somewhere in the middle (which is where I would place myself).

I think there is plenty of room for Rivian to design some removable modular dividers for the center console (like the $15 option on Amazon, but maybe smarter/better/nicer in some way), while leaving people who don't need the extra organization the option to remove or never install them in the first place. They could even offer this as another item in the Gear Shop.

Likewise, I think there could be an added option for central storage in the large space in front of the camp speaker. This could be at added cost—at time of purchase, or through the Gear shop as well... but instead it's just a large wasted space that doesn't serve much purchase in storing or securing anything. If that works for you, great, but there should be an option for those of us who that doesn't work for to add utility to that (seemingly wasted) space.

Now you could say: well just wait until the aftermarket makes something, to which I would reply that I think Rivian should have thought of some of these things given how important gear (and its storage) is for many in the demographic they are targeting, and the lengths they've gone through to intelligently reimagine large gear storage.
i agree with almost everything you said except that area in front of the speaker being wasted space. My wife loves it for her purse. I find it a handy place to toss medium sized items temporarily so they don't fly off the seat and end up under it. For example i just finished a run and tossed my water belt, hat, and headphones down there.

So again a design decision that works for some and not for others.

Definitely agree though some sort of optional organizer might work better for others.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sid
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
Registration is a sticker on my windshield since 2014. Ours works the other way around - you first get an inspection, which logs in a database that then lets you get registration online. Both are a single sticker with a barcode that an officer can scan. License is in my wallet, but the officer could look that up via the barcode on my sticker as well. Insurance is on my phone and can quickly be sent to someone else's phone or email with push of a button without transcription errors or possibility of being misplaced.

My take is that they intentionally left things a blank slate, because it allows users to customize their own space. I'll never put anything in the lower storage bin beneath the screen, I like it being an open space to place wife's purse, food, etc. Others want more cupholders there, or organization trays, or whatever. Now everyone is happy. Same for the armrest cubby. Some want an empty cavern, some want trays and can buy them. They didn't want to make those daily use decisions for people. It's quite possible that eventually they will add options of their own making to the gear shop, but that's not a focus right now.

CP/AA is its own can of worms, and I laid out my argument earlier in another thread of why I think they aren't offering it, because it's a ubiquitous commodity and it adds zero value from their perspective (it surely adds value from the perspective of many consumers, but that's not their concern). Tens of millions of people defiantly saying, "you've lost yourself a sale Rivian", is meaningless because they don't have an infinite ability to supply that demand anyway. They can match supply/demand with the current factory without an infotainment system at all. Until such time that not providing it prevents them from running factories at full capacity and achieving their goals, there is no business rationale for spending any resources on it. Legacy automakers have significantly more invested in factory capacity, and need to do everything possible to ensure they are running full output. They also make more commoditized products, with no commitment to their own infotainment development, and so can't afford to not offer it. It would give people the only reason they need to buy the GM vs. the Ford, because they are essentially the same product when you get down to it.
Texas seems to have a much more sensible system than Vermont. I won't hold my breath for the VT DMV to streamline things to this degree anytime soon, but hopefully someday we will get to a paperless system like yours.

I agree that the "blank slate" approach Rivian took is a better approach than filling the space with permanent solutions that many people might not use, hence why I think they should have modular organization options, which as you point out, may come in the future. I do however think these options should either have been included, or available on roll-out, since it is core functionality for many of us, and feels like a step backwards from vehicles many of us are coming from.

The CP/AA thing is a whole other can of worms, but it's another case where I can't see how it would have been an undue burden/expense for them to integrate it as an option. I would have even paid extra to have CarPlay. Now if their version of infotainment was as good or better (which it certainly is not), then I probably would't be missing it.

Since I have an R1T, neither of these decisions "broke" my decision to buy the truck. If there was an electric Tacoma though, I'd probably be selling my Rivian at a profit right now and buying one of those. Point being: first to market advantage will only last so long, and then the smaller things will add up in people's purchase decisions, assuming other options are compelling enough (price, range, powertrain, suspension, large format storage, etc., etc.). I am hopeful that Rivian will eventually roll out CarPlay/AA, and offer some improved storage options (as Tesla has done)—hopefully ones that can be added on, not as a next gen/redesign.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sid
Vehicles
Occupation
i agree with almost everything you said except that area in front of the speaker being wasted space. My wife loves it for her purse. I find it a handy place to toss medium sized items temporarily so they don't fly off the seat and end up under it. For example i just finished a run and tossed my water belt, hat, and headphones down there.

So again a design decision that works for some and not for others.

Definitely agree though some sort of optional organizer might work better for others.
I do also use that space for easily-accesible larger items like a camera bag, lunch in a paper bag, etc. (my partner doesn't use a purse, but she does put her small backpack there). I was perhaps exaggerating to call that wasted space—but I think they could design options for it to be better-utilized space.

That being said, I still think there could be room for a couple cup-holders (ideally ones that fit 32oz insulated water bottles), and possibly a few more storage add-ons. I would have to think about the space a little more to specifically detail ways I think it could be better utilized, yet remain modular/flexible/removable for people who just want it open—but I'm not a car designer or manufacturer, so I guess my basic complaint is that Rivian didn't decide to do that for us (or hasn't yet), and I think there is room for that to be done (literally).

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Has anyone had issues tinting the front windows? I was wondering if the small triangular panes caused any grief?
Any experienced tinter shouldn't have any issue. My tinter did mine. Not an issue for them at all. Should be easier if anything, since it's such a small piece.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The lack of a glovebox is annoying, and I agree that there is no good place to place documents. While I still don't have my registration (due to Rivian taking forever for this to push through), I won't have a good place to put it when I do, and my insurance paper is just floating around in the giant glovebox with sunglasses cases, charge cords, my MagSafe puck (since wireless charging doesn't work), some napkins, a headlamp, etc, etc
Just making sure you saw that there is an elastic strap in the console specifically for this purpose that I use to store several items including the envelope for my cargo bar keys.

And below the seat is literally meant for sunglasses. Though I know some people don't like that. At least for me it's a hell of a lot better storage for them than any other vehicle I've had. I hate the elastic strap dangling sunglass off the visor system.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I'm not handing my unlocked phone to a cop without a warrant. No, I don't have anything specific to hide -- but that doesn't mean I'm giving them my phone, anyway.
I never said anything about handing it to a cop. You just say lookie here officer, there's my insurance, and then pull it away. They just need to see an insurance card that hasn't expired for the vehicle in question. Takes 3 seconds looking at my screen.

Is this seriously novel? I haven't heard of anyone keeping paper insurance cards in years.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I never said anything about handing it to a cop. You just say lookie here officer, there's my insurance, and then pull it away. They just need to see an insurance card that hasn't expired for the vehicle in question. Takes 3 seconds looking at my screen.

Is this seriously novel? I haven't heard of anyone keeping paper insurance cards in years.
It sounds like in Texas it's potentially commonplace to *not* have paper proof of insurance, and *not* physically hand over any artifact (e.g. phone) to the stopping LEO.

In other places (including a state with more people than Texas) you physically hand over the following to the LEO:
- License
- Registration
- POI

And they frequently *walk away from your car* with it all of the above to fill out the ticket, and return it all to you along with your ticket.

So in such places, these notions of "don't keep paper POI in the car" and "just show the phone, don't physically hand it over" are, in fact... novel.

(To tie it all back to this thread) And therefore people wondering where in their truck they'll be keeping their registration and POI are not really the odd ones out.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

If that works for you, cool. I dont think it’s a stretch to see how that may not work and may even cause you problems.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
I do also use that space for easily-accesible larger items like a camera bag, lunch in a paper bag, etc. (my partner doesn't use a purse, but she does put her small backpack there). I was perhaps exaggerating to call that wasted space—but I think they could design options for it to be better-utilized space.

That being said, I still think there could be room for a couple cup-holders (ideally ones that fit 32oz insulated water bottles), and possibly a few more storage add-ons. I would have to think about the space a little more to specifically detail ways I think it could be better utilized, yet remain modular/flexible/removable for people who just want it open—but I'm not a car designer or manufacturer, so I guess my basic complaint is that Rivian didn't decide to do that for us (or hasn't yet), and I think there is room for that to be done (literally).
Here you go

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1248679346/

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicles
Tundra
Wondering how many more pages we can get this thread to, complaining about the lack of storage for a single 5" x 8" slip of paper in an 8,000-lb truck... :)
Or how long it takes someone to inject their political views into an unrelated discussion on a forum about electric trucks.

Oops, too late.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sid
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks, this is perfect! I just purchased it.

Now I’m just waiting for the right center console organizer to be made (a few members have some great ideas, andI’m sure it won’t be long before I can buy one of them… this has reminded me how much I want a 3D printer too, honestly). Here’s the thread where people are showing their center console organizer ideas:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...organizer-installed-photos-design-files.6827/