Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Canthoney,

3. No V2H designed to power the entire house. The 110 outlets are available keep your fridge, or other appliances going, but no current (NPI) plan to power the entire home. Like Driver+, it requires active management from the owner.

No V2H is a major bummer for me. I don't understand what would make it so difficult to do if Ford can so easily do it with the F150 lightning.
Sponsored

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

No V2H is a major bummer for me. I don't understand what would make it so difficult to do if Ford can so easily do it with the F150 lightning.
I am sorry, but I am not sure anyone said Ford did it so easily. Remember the Rivian is designed as an adventure vehicle and was intended for you to use away from home. The Ford F-150 is a utility/work truck. It is possible that Ford began their design from the ground up with the intention of V2H whereas Rivian has been designing an adventure vehicle for the last 8? years. It may be difficult to build that out now.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If it was so easy to implement, all EVs would be offering it.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Ford hasn't done it yet....

There is no additional hardware on the vehicle side, it is a software implementation an upgrades CCS standard that has yet to be finalized or adopted. Ford is likely designing around the preliminary standard, using a modified version of it, or they designed something from the ground up. I think it unlikely that Ford is doing a proprietary system and will be implementing the CCS/ISO standard.

There is nothing preventing Rivian from implementing it OTA once the standard is finalized and adopted by CharIN.

The expensive piece of the puzzle will need to be installed at your house. V2H/G equipment connects to the vehicle thru the DC pins on the charge port to get access to the vehicle battery. The V2H/G hardware will need to convert the DC from the batteries to AC to supply your house or the grid. The session is managed by software in both the home backup system and the vehicle (similar to a DCFC charging but in reverse).

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
When you launched the R1T from 0-60 on the AT tires, how much wheel spin did you experience? Can you punch it from a dead stop and not spin? Or does the truck have “nannies” to prevent any spinning?

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
For those waiting, The Duck Has Landed (@DuckTruck interview Part 1).

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

@DuckTruck - Any mention or experience with Alexa in the R1T? We haven't heard much on this front in a while.
Agreed! It seems like asking Alexa to change driving modes would be easier when whipping around turns than fiddling with the center screen.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Well, let's be fair here. They say they will do it, and it's an option, and it's not priced yet. It also requires funky charging equipment, and a transfer switch, so it's not as simple as it sounds.

Don't get me wrong, I really really like the idea of the cars being batteries when they're not being driven for a home, especially if you are using something like solar or wind to power your home other ways. I think we need some laws passed though before this will be as successful as I hope, because right now the grid is king and owned by other people -V2G and V2H democratizes the grid, and we know how well those in charge like giving back their power.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I am sorry, but I am not sure anyone said Ford did it so easily. Remember the Rivian is designed as an adventure vehicle and was intended for you to use away from home. The Ford F-150 is a utility/work truck. It is possible that Ford began their design from the ground up with the intention of V2H whereas Rivian has been designing an adventure vehicle for the last 8? years. It may be difficult to build that out now.
That's fair. I guess by "easily" what I really meant is, they announced it right from the beginning. So you're probably right in that they designed it from the beginning. From the following posts it's seems like the CCS standard that's holding them back. Im sure it's not as big of a deal for most, but I have a unique situation where it would be very valuable.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
That's fair. I guess by "easily" what I really meant is, they announced it right from the beginning. So you're probably right in that they designed it from the beginning. From the following posts it's seems like the CCS standard that's holding them back. Im sure it's not as big of a deal for most, but I have a unique situation where it would be very valuable.
Ford had already built high capacity electrical output into the ICE version of the F-150, so it’s no surprise that they continue/expand that with the Lightening since they see it as a marketing advantage for a work/utility branded truck.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Agreed! It seems like asking Alexa to change driving modes would be easier when whipping around turns than fiddling with the center screen.
Sorry, I just now caught this question. I don't believe that any of the vehicles were running with Alexa enabled, but I think it was clearly stated that it's coming (if not at rollout, by OTA update). As always, if someone else can add more complete info, please jump in.

Regarding your comment about wouldn't it "be easier whipping around turns [utilizing Alexa] than fiddling with the center screen?".

Probably easier, but it couldn't have been any more fun than twisting 'knobs' and tires at the same time. And yes, Safety Authorities, we were on a closed course. We wont do this in the real world. Trust us....

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
DuckTruck did you get any videos of pavement launches?
I've been lurking here for months, but finally registered! Thanks so much for being so open and posting all of this info!
Sponsored