Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
? HOORAY!!! ?

GooniesNeverSayDie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xterra, CX-5
I will be interested to see how the range numbers work out while off-roading. From reading the MT articles about the truck crossing the TAT it sounds like they stopped to charge at least every night and sometimes mid day. Since it is electric it should be more capable off road but will you be able to do overnight trips and how far can you make it? I would have liked to see them address that in this article.

GooniesNeverSayDie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xterra, CX-5
They really need to let the folks at TFL (YouTube) test it...Kinda sucks that they are boxing them out...?
It is strange that Rivian didn't return their calls. Hopefully someone will give them one to test once it starts going to customers.

Reactions: Rod

Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
They really need to let the folks at TFL (YouTube) test it...Kinda sucks that they are boxing them out...?
How many more TFL superfans/sockpuppets are going to tantrum about this non-event? TFL is amateur and pretty obscure youtube reviewers and they break embargoes - something Rivian hates! Nor is their review style compatible with the capacity-limited event Rivian put on. They'll get their hands on one soon enough and then their small but all-too-vocal audience can relax.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
I am looking forward to the media floodgates opening next week, but also some regular people doing deep dives on their cars very soon. I don't have an opinion about tfl, but there is so much more to find out about these cars. Range on the road with some of these many different options (wheels, offroad protection or not). Then later, how efficient in the cold, how good in the snow and range loss. Driving on the typical terrible rutted forest gravel roads with say 3000 feet of elevation gain over 10 miles. How much recharge coming back. And then the almost singletrack roads with rocks, gravel, slow steep rock crawling.

It's going to be so much fun to consume all these stories in the next week, it's like Christmas. Second christmas is when mine comes ;-)

Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, R1T
How many more TFL superfans/sockpuppets are going to tantrum about this non-event? TFL is amateur and pretty obscure youtube reviewers and they break embargoes - something Rivian hates! Nor is their review style compatible with the capacity-limited event Rivian put on. They'll get their hands on one soon enough and then their small but all-too-vocal audience can relax.
Ummm... a lot more? ?‍♂

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ummm... a lot more? ?‍♂
Hopefully not, this doesn't appear to be to some personal vendetta on Rivian's side. I also get where TFL is coming from, angst for clicks. When Youtubers get access they get access but I can't imagine given how many channels are out there the TFL team is at the top of the list. Who knows maybe they are but I'd rather not continue to see this non issue made into an issue to drive views to TFL.

Last edited:

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I'm really curious to see how an electric compares off road to a high crawl ratio in my regular vehicle, especially if pulling a heavy load, like when getting someone's truck unstuck from the muck. Sure, you've 900+lb-ft, but it's only 1-speed. With the crawl ratios in an ICE, you've got much lower initial engine torque, but it's multiplied many times over by the gearing.

I've been known to get a little redneck and use a heavy strap to my hitch and pull shrubs, etc out of my landscaping after popping her down in low range and locking her up. Just because I'll have an $80k electric SUV doesn't mean I won't still have that bit of redneck in me, so I'm hoping it'll still get the job done.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I'm really curious to see how an electric compares off road to a high crawl ratio in my regular vehicle, especially if pulling a heavy load, like when getting someone's truck unstuck from the muck. Sure, you've 900+lb-ft, but it's only 1-speed. With the crawl ratios in an ICE, you've got much lower initial engine torque, but it's multiplied many times over by the gearing.

I've been known to get a little redneck and use a heavy strap to my hitch and pull shrubs, etc out of my landscaping after popping her down in low range and locking her up. Just because I'll have an $80k electric SUV doesn't mean I won't still have that bit of redneck in me, so I'm hoping it'll still get the job done.
When you get the torque to the ground it's on the order of 10,000 lb-ft.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Agreed: there are much more competent YouTube reviewers more suited to a technical new EV like the rivian. There is a presser going on in the mountains in Colorado my home state right now with a half dozen r1t's so things should be breaking soon.
Sponsored