First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I think the only ones who saw a decrease in Vampire drain with the new sw were the unfortunate owners who had the Frunk sensor issue- which the new software addressed. It brought those owners down to the level that the people without the Frunk sensor issues have. Other than those folks.. the new sw really had a very minimal (or none at all) impact on vampire drain.
Sponsored

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
It should not happen and needs to be fixed but would not impact driving the vehicle.

I’ve rebooted the infotainment system on my Tesla several times while driving.
I put in a ticket and Service called me - no real fix, but they logged the issue. I gave them some timestamps so they could pull the data.

Agreed on the Tesla thing - my MCU would occasionally reboot while driving - so I wasn't all that concerned. It's a new behavior in my truck and was curious if others had seen it.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Pretty sure that was what my first sentence said….

My intent of the post was to say that not having these screens operational will not impact the ability to safely drive the vehicle.
The screens only, no, but a reboot takes out more than just the display. My AXM module failed and needed to be replaced not long ago (this module reboots during an infotainment reset). While I could technically drive the vehicle, no safety or convenience systems were available (No Driver+, Park Assist, Cross Traffic, Lane Departure, no mode changes, etc...) and the air suspension and HVAC were also inoperative. Our situations may not be as related as I feel they are, but I would be VERY hesitant to say that you could operate the vehicle safely in that state.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The screens only, no, but a reboot takes out more than just the display. My AXM module failed and needed to be replaced not long ago (this module reboots during an infotainment reset). While I could technically drive the vehicle, no safety or convenience systems were available (No Driver+, Park Assist, Cross Traffic, Lane Departure, no mode changes, etc...) and the air suspension and HVAC were also inoperative. Our situations may not be as related as I feel they are, but I would be VERY hesitant to say that you could operate the vehicle safely in that state.
I guess it is a matter of what you consider safely.

There are millions of cars on the road without any of those advanced safety features that are driven “safely” every day. I suppose if someone is overly reliant on these features and does not understand that they are compromised during this restart then it could impact their ability to drive ”safely”.

Maybe it is more accurate to say steering and braking are not impacted so the ability to control the basic features of a vehicle still work.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I guess it is a matter of what you consider safely.

There are millions of cars on the road without any of those advanced safety features that are driven “safely” every day. I suppose if someone is overly reliant on these features and does not understand that they are compromised during this restart then it could impact their ability to drive ”safely”.

Maybe it is more accurate to say steering and braking are not impacted so the ability to control the basic features of a vehicle still work.
True. My main safety concerns were the HVAC for defrost/visibility, and the air suspension since it can greatly impact stability and handling as it drops. Now that I'm thinking back, I don't believe turn signals worked either, and I didn't verify other lights.
Sponsored